i have a spider valve hd 100 head. running it through a 4 year old b52 cab. with a gibson sg standard guitar. ive only had the amp 5 months. i play in a band so i crank it up alot. i checked the tubes to see if they were microphonic. and they werent. no discoloration in tubes. pickups in guitar are grounded properly and not microphonic. guitar cable is good. i tried several.

i get this uncontrollable high pitched feedback when i turn it past 9 oclock which is loud but i cant crank it past that. i bought a decimator pedal and its doing well but when i play and do stop and go rhythms its horrible. and unbearable. any idea what it is? i dont use pedals i stricly use the amp distortion and effects.
trust me, I'm a professional
Thats just the nature of high gain heads @ high Volume. You need a real Noise gate. The ISP Pro Rack G to be exact. That will solve the problem. Also try standing farther away. Backing off the gain a Tad will help to.

Also a none discolored tube can still be microphonic. You could be a few extra 12AX7's and mix and match to see if you get better results.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Last edited by Ubershall404 at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by Ubershall404
Thats just the nature of high gain heads @ high Volume. You need a Noise gate. The ISP decimator to be exact. That will solve the problem

he already has a decimator..

anyway, positioning yourself to reduce feedback is important too. are you standing directly in front of your amp? are your pickups facing the amp?

also i think if your decimator is chopping off your notes then the threshold is set too high
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at Nov 27, 2008,
even my 60w 5150 feedbacks like a horse on an electric fence past about 11 oclock..
only with my passives tho..the emgs seem ok :S

you could get a power attentuator to hold the power down but drive the tubes hard still..
also, try bypassing the onboard fx and try like a ds 1...crank it.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by fairycake92
even my 60w 5150 feedbacks like a horse on an electric fence past about 11 oclock..
only with my passives tho..the emgs seem ok :S

you could get a power attentuator to hold the power down but drive the tubes hard still..
also, try bypassing the onboard fx and try like a ds 1...crank it.

what kind of power attentuator? no i never face my amp with my guitar.
trust me, I'm a professional
1) Can you use less gain? Often times when you turn up the volume your amount of gain will find a way to go up with it... dialing back usually drops feed back off the face of the Earth and retains the same sound. (Or virtually the same...)

2) Stand as far away as possible. With your back to the amp when possible.

3) ALWAYS MUTE YOUR STRINGS WITH BOTH HANDS WHEN YOU AREN'T PLAYING. If you do a dead stop, it's important to hold both hands on the strings, your picking hand at the bridge and your fretting hand across all 6 strings.

4) Make sure the Decimator is set up for your volume while playing at high levels... not for when it's at listening -drummer, -ear plugs.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."