Page 1 of 2
So yesterday we had our first band practice in a garage with another band in a basement and well yeah it was pretty cool...they had large(in my terms)marshall amps with heads and all and it was pretty loud.

we spent about 2 hours there.
we didnt have earplugs
I had a cold,and was very tired,before and after

That was yesterday,about 5-7 pm...now I slept it off and woke up today,10am.I still have the ringing AND the cold(thats not much to worry about,i regularly catch a cold).

Do you think it will go away?Could it be that since I have a cold first my body has to combat the cold and then relief the tinnitus(is it because of the cold I still have tinnitus?)
And (gulp ) could it be..permanent?

Pit,pls help me

Quote by BigNose
I have one night stand next to my bed, I keep a glass of water on it!

BADOOM TCHH!

... I also float a little boat made of fail in it.

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
its happened to me, went away after about a day or two.

but yes, most damage to the ears can be permanent.
Umm, I didn't wanna hear this when I first got it but it's most likely permanant.
How many times have your ears rang before? even for a little bit?
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
There should be an official tinnitus thread, because there are about five threads like this every day.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I had a flu type thing a couple of weeks back my ears rang and ached for no reason, seems sorted now your ears are important though so keep them safe u dont need to play loud at practises infact its prob better to play quietly so you make sure you get everything spot on
Use earplugs.

or headphones like PG
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
use earplugs and play quieter at practices. the damage itself is probably permanent
Quote by FFTLxx
Umm, I didn't wanna hear this when I first got it but it's most likely permanant.
How many times have your ears rang before? even for a little bit?

everytime i go to a concert,i dont go much...maybe 3 times?

its irritating,i never got it this bad...but hat might be because i have a cold..

i really dont want i to be permanent...any cures available perhaps?

Edit:Oh yeah I forgot to tell you...the rest of the people in the room(like 10 others)dont have this problem...it could be because of teh cold..(I like this line.Its my ony reassurance )

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Last edited by Freesmalta at Nov 27, 2008,
There are no known cures to Tinnitus, sorry but that's how it is.
You only have the ringing because you were in a loud situation recently, a day or two and it'll be gone.
Also playing a small area with big amps and **** will be really loud, playing in a large area will decrease the sound level to you.
Quote by rank-n-file
There are no known cures to Tinnitus, sorry but that's how it is.
You only have the ringing because you were in a loud situation recently, a day or two and it'll be gone.
Also playing a small area with big amps and **** will be really loud, playing in a large area will decrease the sound level to you.

Damn...I hope it will be gone...
We dont have other options but to play in this small area and since we are playing in an other persons garage we dont have control over the sound either...we would look like pussies..

Anyways its only me with this problem today and we have played together for some time...even in a concert...and i never had this ringing so hard...(it might be because of the cold

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Quote by Freesmalta
Damn...I hope it will be gone...
We dont have other options but to play in this small area and since we are playing in an other persons garage we dont have control over the sound either...we would look like pussies..

Anyways its only me with this problem today and we have played together for some time...even in a concert...and i never had this ringing so hard...(it might be because of the cold

It'll go away but I personally wouldn't risk the damage to my hearing again. Use earplugs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah small rooms are loud as man, my band practices in a tiny empty bedroom, three guys, two big amps and a full drum kit, a PA and two mics and stands.
I can't even move when we play.
Quote by TEK34
I have slight tinnitus, its always there, but not really too loud. Doesn't really bother me.

Would you like it to get any worse?

Seriously, my Dad has tinnitus so bad it wakes him up sometimes.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Would you like it to get any worse?

Seriously, my Dad has tinnitus so bad it wakes him up sometimes.

That would be a b*tch...

Suffering at a later age when you could protect it now...Im off to buy plugs

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
I remember when I first started playing with my band a year ago. I seriously had ringing in my ears for weeks. I was paranoid as ****! It went away though. It's weird, I know I'm losing my hearing. But the only thing I notice is that louder noises are quieter. The quite noises are exactly the same though.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by ZeBubba!
I remember when I first started playing with my band a year ago. I seriously had ringing in my ears for weeks. I was paranoid as ****! It went away though. It's weird, I know I'm losing my hearing. But the only thing I notice is that louder noises are quieter. The quite noises are exactly the same though.

Wear. Ear. Plugs. NAO!

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wear. Ear. Plugs. NAO!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of you. Earplugs help me sing much much better too.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
You. Earplugs. Now.

Seriously, it'll make your life in ten years so[/] much easier.
okay ill get plugs...

but do you i should wear them in a weekly practice?we dont gigs often too,just once in a while.Im not exposed to a lot of loudness

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
You don't need to wear them unless you're exposed to loud music/noise. Make sure you keep them on when you play with the band, though.
Quote by Freesmalta
okay ill get plugs...

but do you i should wear them in a weekly practice?we dont gigs often too,just once in a while.Im not exposed to a lot of loudness

Yes, wear them to gigs you're playing, gig's you're just watching, band practices, hell you should even be wearing them if you're just cranking your amp a lot at home. Any time where you're going to be experiencing a relatively large amount of volume.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Okay ill do that,thanks a lot m8s

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
it'll probably go away in day or two, and yeah wear earplugs, and don't freaking use your stage gear for band rehearsal, that's idiotic.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have permanent tinnitus, it's annoying to be honest but at least it's something to sing along to.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 27, 2008,
So i was thinking this over today and noticed something...that when something startles me,you know when you get that twitchy feeling and feel as if your ears are opened...well when i get that sensation i suddenly "feel" my ears again for about a second...because right now i cant seem to feel them...theyre sort of warm and lifeless.

Oh yeah,change everything in singular,only my left ear is having tinnitus atm :p

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Get over it, my ears were ringing for over a week after I saw Motorhead live.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Get over it, my ears were ringing for over a week after I saw Motorhead live.

I could...but I couldnt help noticing when somebody takes away the mags from the bathroom...

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Get over it, my ears were ringing for over a week after I saw Motorhead live.
I've seen Motorhead on every British tour since the Bomber Tour, and they do that to me every time.
Infact they are probably one of the main reasons why I have constant tinnitus today.
I tend to get a little ringing in my ears when I catch a cold.
Maybe it's a little of both.
The tinnitus can cause a little permanent damage I believe, but the ringing goes away within a few days.
Quote by x_thurston_x
The tinnitus can cause a little permanent damage I believe, but the ringing goes away within a few days.

The tinnitus is the damage, every time it happens it goes on for longer and you loose more frequency and volume perception until you have permanent tinnitus and can't hear what anyone's saying without a hearing aid.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
What?

What!?

WHAT!?

I'm sorry, I can't hear you.

I.E. Get ear plugs.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well yesterday We had our first gig to a public in a bar with a couple other famous local bands,and it was FAB.The prob is that I had to go buy the plugs at last minute before the show,the chemists were closing and I bought water-plugs instead as he didnt have normal plugs.I didnt think they were good.

I didnt use them.

I'm totally f#@#$d up today.

My ears are ringing more than the volume of the telly.

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Quote by TooFast

thx for the reply, but do the ends stick out of the ear or something?

I.E. Can they be seen or are they unnoticeable?

With these crappy plugs I bought I lock like Dr.Spock...

Quote by BigNose

BADOOM TCHH!

Make LOVE
*******NOT
*******WAR
Quote by x_thurston_x

Signed...
Fender Telecaster Mexico
Marshall vs265
Morgan Acoustic
Jim Dunlop CGB-95 wah
Quote by Freesmalta
So yesterday we had our first band practice in a garage with another band in a basement and well yeah it was pretty cool...they had large(in my terms)marshall amps with heads and all and it was pretty loud.

we spent about 2 hours there.
we didnt have earplugs
I had a cold,and was very tired,before and after

That was yesterday,about 5-7 pm...now I slept it off and woke up today,10am.I still have the ringing AND the cold(thats not much to worry about,i regularly catch a cold).

Do you think it will go away?Could it be that since I have a cold first my body has to combat the cold and then relief the tinnitus(is it because of the cold I still have tinnitus?)
And (gulp ) could it be..permanent?

Pit,pls help me

pardon?
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
it depends on the level 85dB of noise is safe for 8 hours and if you half the time you can add 3 dBs so for 2 hours the safe limit is 91 dB so im not to sure but 91 dBs is pretty loud use earplugs and play a bit quiter, make sure you have amps positioned away from your position and try not to stand to close to the drummers cymbals because they are badddddd you can get tinnitus from one exposure of noise but you may not realize it till later on in your life, you have most likely damaged your hearing, so do not over do it again!
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
Page 1 of 2