How do I go about doing this? I though about flash card and stuff and making diagrams and with blanks and quizzing myself, starting out with the first few frets.

BUT I play in a lot of different tuning... like everyday. I'm constantly changing from drop C, to C standard, to drop B, and sometimes to D and Eb standard, (I would do it a lot more but my current strings are too thick)

..If I learned the fretboard in E standard tuning, which I figured is the most practical, what do I do and think when I'm in a different tuning? Let's say I'm in C standard, two whole steps down from E standard.... and I hit a note which would normally be a B... but since I'm two whole steps down it's actually a G. Do I just pretend it's a B, or do the math and call it a G?

So in short, should I learn the fretboard in E, or learn the fretboard in ALL tunings? (which seems impossible )
Last edited by Ignite at Nov 27, 2008,
If you're skipping tuning around a lot you've set yourself one hell of a task. How can anyone remember something that is constantly changing? Just do it a little at a time.

Learn the notes in standard, then drop-D tuning is obvious because only 1 string is being lowered. I play in open G a lot and it took time to learn my way around that again, but i slowly got there. Now i like to play in Open-D, but i know for a fact i couldn't nail every scale and chord in that tuning for a long time to come. I find you don't really need to though, you normally tune to open-tunings to play in a particular key. That's what capo's exist for.

The ultimate answer to the "learning the fretboard" question is always read music on it. Learn a melody in open position, then learn it at the 5th fret, then higher, etc etc etc.
What i do if im playing in say D standard i just pretend that B is that B cause i learnt the notes in standard and although it isnt B its the B Fret on the fret bored and it matchs up so i would just learn them in standard and drop tuning if that made any sence.
I would learn it all in standard tuning first and then when you change to a different tuning, just think accordingly. For example if you play the 5th fret on the 6th string, that's an A. If you then go to let's say drop D to keep it simple, the 5th fret of the 6th string is now a G.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.