I'm looking to start replacing my multi effects with single pedals, starting with the most useful. I've got a budget of £100 but can stretch up to £200 if absolutely necessary.

Judging by which effects I use most at the moment I've been mainly looking at fuzz, delay, flanger and wah pedals. I've pretty much settled on a Big Muff Pi but if you think there are better options, please let me know. After looking at demos on youtube of the Fulltone Clyde and the MXR Carbon Copy I'm really interested in getting them but they're ridiculously expensive. The problem is I just don't like the sound of the cheaper alternatives I've heard (e.g. Vox V847 and Boss DD-3).

My sound generally isn't that heavy, something along the lines of Radiohead, Muse, Jimi Hendrix, RHCP, The Mars Volta etc.

And I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Standard into an Epiphone Valve Junior, although I should be getting an Orange Rocker 30 soon.

So just fire away with lots of suggestions please.
I'd say judging that you want to play TMV Radiohead and Muse a delay or fuzz would be the best place to start. Then maybe wah or phaser or something mad.

If you want ideas, look at Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's rig on wikipedia or Matt Bellamy's rig, they're both pretty wicked.

Good to see some TMV fans btw.

EDIT: sorry didn't realise you were looking for models. I reckon you couldn't go wrong with a Boss DD-7 delay to be honest, and for fuzz, yea definitely either Big Muff PI or Rat fuzz.
Last edited by NigelLawless at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by NigelLawless
I reckon you couldn't go wrong with a Boss DD-7 delay to be honest

Will that not have a similar sound to the DD-3 but just with more features?
The Big Muff Pi is great for Muse, TMV and later RHCP - I would definitely recommend it.

I've got a Boss DD6 delay and have never had any reason for complaint with that either, although I've never tried the other delays you mentioned. I would also suggest a phase shifter (e.g. EHX Small Stone) - really useful for Muse, Radiohead and TMV.

And from the bands you like I think a whammy would also be good at some point!
Looks like it's the Big Muff for fuzz then

I have looked at the Small Stone (mainly because Jonny Greenwood uses it) but from the reviews I've read, it apparently suffers from a massive volume drop when you turn it on. This really put me off so I thought an alternative might be the Phase 90. I was originally looking for flanger pedals because that's the effect I use to get the sound for Jonny Greenwood's part at the beginning of Paranoid Android but then I read that he used the Small Stone for that which is actually a phaser

As for the whammy, it's too expensive for a pedal I wouldn't use as often as the others plus the current WH-4 model has crap bypass I've heard. Maybe when I can afford to get the original WH-1 I'll get one.
As it stands, I think I'm going to go for this Gear:

Big Muff Pi, MXR Carbon Copy, MXR Phase 90, Orange Rocker 30.

Thoughts?
Sounds pretty sweet, I've been thinking about basically the same thing myself...although I wanted to get into the BYOCs first, they are pretty sweet.

lol, OR-L's rig...

Have fun!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
If I were you I'd definitely get a delay before a phaser...
How you gonna afford all that with 200 pounds anyway?
i got the mxr phase 90 script, it's quite awesome indeed ! and i loved the mxr carbon copy when i tried it, so i'd say you can't go wrong with it.. (i ended up with the carl martin red repeat because somehow i liked it better, but that's just me)
and for the big muff, well once again i have it and i love it !
Quote by NigelLawless
If I were you I'd definitely get a delay before a phaser...
How you gonna afford all that with 200 pounds anyway?

Big Muff - £46
Small Stone - £46
Boss DD3 - £75

= £167

But that's with the cheaper options so you're right I'll struggle to get exactly what I want for that.
For your tastes you'd be getting the american muff I hope?
I'm gettin a muff as well, but the russian suits my needs better.
go for the little big muff in my opinion. it's the same circuitry it's just smaller - takes up less space on the pedal board. and there's really nothing wrong with a dd-3 unless you're a real delay enthusiast.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
The Small Stone doesn't cause a big volume drop when you turn it on. It's as it sweeps that the volume drop occurs. If you use it on the lower-depth setting, the change is hardly noticeable. I think the slight volume change with the phasing helps add to the crazy ambiance of the pedal.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
go for the little big muff in my opinion. it's the same circuitry it's just smaller - takes up less space on the pedal board. and there's really nothing wrong with a dd-3 unless you're a real delay enthusiast.

The Little Big Muff costs less though doesn't it? there must be a reason for that.
Quote by Liam4
The Little Big Muff costs less though doesn't it? there must be a reason for that.

It's only $5-10 of the price of the Big Muff depending where you look, but I think it has something to do with components rather than the enclosure though. I have a LBM and I personally think it sounds closer to the Russian Muff than the NYC Muff, but it can do both tones well.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.