I was just looking for some exercises to increase my finger picking speed.
I'm trying to play with all 4 fingers(thumb excluded), so something fitting would be great. thanks.
There was a hole here.
It's gone now.
chromatics
that is going (on these frets) 1-2-3-4 on all strings basically

also learn scales

practice a chili peppers song

EDIT:
g-------------------------------------1-2-3-4----
d--------------------------1-2-3-4---------------
a---------------1-2-3-4-------------
E--1-2-3-4--------------

then go to 5 - 8 and so on
Last edited by seankellyultgtr at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by seankellyultgtr
chromatics
that is going (on these frets) 1-2-3-4 on all strings basically

also learn scales

practice a chili peppers song

EDIT:
g-------------------------------------1-2-3-4----
d--------------------------1-2-3-4---------------
a---------------1-2-3-4-------------
E--1-2-3-4--------------

then go to 5 - 8 and so on

Doing this on the 1st 2nd 3rd of 4th fret is not a good idea, the frets are largest and the tension is highest. Try chromatics on 7-10 instead
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Doing this on the 1st 2nd 3rd of 4th fret is not a good idea, the frets are largest and the tension is highest. Try chromatics on 7-10 instead

he has a good point. i play guitar, the frets are easier. same practice though. if you do 7 - 10 and then 6 - 9 and 5 - 8 and so on. do it until your comfortable with all that
G
D 7 9 10 9 7
A 7 8 10 10 8 7
E 8 10 10 8

play that as fast as you can for like, ever? lol that's what got me my speed and dexterity to play stuff like DT
Quote by Äkäskero
G
D 7 9 10 9 7
A 7 8 10 10 8 7
E 8 10 10 8

play that as fast as you can for like, ever? lol that's what got me my speed and dexterity to play stuff like DT

thats not really a good idea, cause then your not getting a concept of timingand it will make it harder for you to slow down. if you start at quarter notes, then eight notes, then sixteenth then thats your best bet. if you do what he said yes you will get fast but it will also cause some problems that are harder to fix
Quote by ChemicalFire

Correct. Just doing it on frets 1-4 isn't a good idea.

It should be done across ALL frets, 1-4, then 2-5, then 3-6 etc.

And mix it up, so you play across different strings in the 1-2-3-4 pattern, for example 1-2-3-4 on the strings: E D A G etc. No point being able to play fast runs on a single string. And always remember that you are only as fast as your slowest hand, be it fretting or plucking. Again, no point being able to play fast if you can only play one note quickly. Applehead often says that speed is a byproduct of accuracy. Where is the accuracy? In the relationship between your two hand.
If you're trying to use all four fingers, what they said is good, and play it as quadruplets (index, middle, ring, pinky, repeat). Everyone says this works, although I can't be sure, I'm still working on triplets...