This is partly because I've always wondered and partly because I'm bored out of my mind, but...

Why aren't guitar amps stereo? I don't recall ever seeing one. Such an obvious requirement that there must be a blatantly obvious answer, right? So what is it?
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
some amps are, but most aren't because you only need stereo for some effects
OK, but why aren't MORE of them stereo? I would love a stereo AC30
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Some processors can split your signal if you're connected to two amps and do really cool effects. For example it can split up delay so it sounds like your sound is bouncing between the two amps.

But it's not really necessary for guitar playing to have stereo.
Quote by nbroers
OK, but why aren't MORE of them stereo? I would love a stereo AC30

because it makes you buy two AC30s, they make more money.
Quote by thellamaking
because it makes you buy two AC30s, they make more money.

I'd love two but then you need roadies to carry them

Problem is when you want clean stereo effects, what do you do? 2 AC30's? And if you wanted a different amp for dirty, run 3 amps? Just gets ridiculous.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
The Vox DA 20 is a stereo amp.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Because they don't need to be. The only reason I can see for having one guitar in stereo is for playing around at home or if you're some kind of guitar virtuoso that's the center of a band.

A normal guitar player in a band wouldn't need it because the only reason for having stereo is so you can have a wide spectrum of sound in music. In a band, you have other musicians playing their parts, coming from different areas of the stage, creating a mix of different sections. Stereo was created so that this effect could be achieved from a pre-recorded song, creating the illusion that different instruments in a song are actually coming from different places. Therefore, it makes sense to have guitars in mono, cause all you're doing is being selfish and nicking everyone else's space in the mix!

Trust me, it wouldn't improve your sound at all, it'd just piss off your bandmates! Even when recording, mono guitars are generally better, although sometimes it's a good idea to have two recordings, one for each side of the spectrum.

Exorcist
Quote by nbroers
I'd love two but then you need roadies to carry them

Problem is when you want clean stereo effects, what do you do? 2 AC30's? And if you wanted a different amp for dirty, run 3 amps? Just gets ridiculous.

If you really need 3 different amps, you'd run several heads in a slave set up
There are a few stereo guitar amps. But most never need it. Its easy enough to split your signal to 2 amps. I run a 50 watt deanmarkley bass amp with my 15 watt peavey. They each sound very different so go good together.
Guitar output signal is monaural. Ergo, no need for a stereophonic amplification system. Even if you split your signal, it's not true stereo. There are stereo guitars, though. Like a Gibson ES-355.
Quote by imgooley
Guitar output signal is monaural. Ergo, no need for a stereophonic amplification system. Even if you split your signal, it's not true stereo. There are stereo guitars, though. Like a Gibson ES-355.

and those Rickenbackers... rick-o-sound you know?

Goolz i think you won the thread.
Quote by Electrixorcist
Because they don't need to be. The only reason I can see for having one guitar in stereo is for playing around at home or if you're some kind of guitar virtuoso that's the center of a band.

A normal guitar player in a band wouldn't need it because the only reason for having stereo is so you can have a wide spectrum of sound in music. In a band, you have other musicians playing their parts, coming from different areas of the stage, creating a mix of different sections. Stereo was created so that this effect could be achieved from a pre-recorded song, creating the illusion that different instruments in a song are actually coming from different places. Therefore, it makes sense to have guitars in mono, cause all you're doing is being selfish and nicking everyone else's space in the mix!

Trust me, it wouldn't improve your sound at all, it'd just piss off your bandmates! Even when recording, mono guitars are generally better, although sometimes it's a good idea to have two recordings, one for each side of the spectrum.

Exorcist

Well said.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Electrixorcist

Exorcist

What about for effects like stereo delay and stereo chorus? They are fairly common and pointless without stereo.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
Quote by imgooley

Fair enough, but I'm really just referring to stereo effects like delay and chorus, whether its true stereo or not.
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2