Poll: Did I make the right choice with the mesa? I think so
Poll Options
View poll results: Did I make the right choice with the mesa? I think so
Yes you did (a mesa dual recto for 1k isnt too bad, sweet amp!)
21 88%
No (Are you retarted a Marshall tsl60 for 800 was an awesome deal, better then the mesa)
3 13%
Voters: 24.
Ok guys, basically just your opinion on if I could have done better. Guitar center had two used heads in my pricerange, a Marshall TSL60 for 800 bucks in pristine condition, sounded great, or a Mesa Dual Rectifier solo head for 999 in bad cosmetic shape but it worked fine, I played the Marshall alot and liked it because of it's ease of use and it sounded pretty sick. Then I finally got the courage ( A long while back I was finally upgrading from a practice amp and I was looking at nice amps and stuff, and some guy recommended a mesa stiletto and It confused the sh!t out of me) to go play the mesa, To make a long story short, I walked out with the mesa last night. Any opinions?

I love the mesa, but I do admit a little less crunch then a Marshall, The mesa has the gain and stuff, but the Marshall has a little more balls in the sound if you know what I mean.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Mesa take sometime to learn how to use. Trust me, you will be happy with your choice when you know how to tweak it correctly.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Hahah phew, the tsl was a sweet head, but the mesa could do WAY more, I know the mesa was more of what I wanted, but sometimes I like hearing an outside opinion. but Yeah they are a bit tricky but I dialed it in REALLY nice last night, I was shredding all over haha. I found that I had to add a bit more bass (i dont know if it was the cab or not) to get a real good metal sound, but then it was perfect.

Oh that dual recto halfstack is cheaper because it's the older model with 2 channels, I Prefer the newer with 3.

And the only reason a mesa was in my price range is because it was on used/clearance and beat up. It still plays amazing and hey all the rips in the tolex are just even more rock and roll huh? ahahah.

Now the bad part, a mesa cab is out of my pricerange XD I have a head with no cab....I'll probably be getting a 2x12 off of craigslist asap though.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Last edited by milkmanv1 at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by Horlicks
If you'd have bought a TSL I would've laughed frankly.

Horlicks, UG's resident Dr. House.

And good choice with the mesa

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by milkmanv1
Oh that dual recto halfstack is cheaper because it's the older model with 2 channels, I Prefer the newer with 3.

Why? The 2 channels sound much better imo.

But either way, you made the right choice, the Dual Recto is way better than the TSL.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by milkmanv1
Now the bad part, a mesa cab is out of my pricerange XD I have a head with no cab....I'll probably be getting a 2x12 off of craigslist asap though.

Sig What?
The TSL would be extremely thin sounding in comparison to the mesa.

Just remember that you'll have to spend some time fiddling with the settings. Mesa's are tweaker amps, but once you do find the settings, you'll get great tone.