Hey UG,

I'm trying to find my tone to pretty much no avail lately. I've had my JVM since March this year and it's sounded good. Not great, but good.

I keep my setup pretty simple - Tuner, Wah, Compressor, Noise Gate (and soon a chorus) into the front of the amp, although I have started playing around with the gate in the FX loop which helps, but I've figured that I need another gate in the front to get the best possible noise reduction with the amount of noise that comes using the JVM.

You can see the gear I have in my sig which is pretty good gear, but it's just the amp that I've had some difficulty finding the right sound with. I can't find the right amount of gain, and the gain is either too much on the orange and red modes, but the green mode on the OD channel just doesn't cut it. And no, turning the gain knob down doesn't help, it just sounds mushy and fizzy, if that makes sense, at almost every level.

I do love the clean channel, however, but that's really the only thing I truly like about it. The Crunch channel doesn't have enough balls to be frank, but the OD channels just have too much gain on their 'gainy' modes. Sorry if I've repeated this lots, just trying to get the point across.

I'm trying to get a similar sound to what Trivium had on The Crusade album where they used the John Petrucci MM (listen to Becoming the Dragon, Contempt Breeds Contamination - they have hi-gain sounds but it's crystal clear!). From what I've heard they used Dual Rectifiers for all the rhythm tracks and I really like that particular tone (perhaps getting DiMarzio pickups will help), although I've heard that Mesas don't have much mids, which I like in a guitar tone, they're all bottom end.

However, I was wondering if anyone has used Mesa Dual Rectifiers before, and how they sound? I will obviously try the amps out before I buy them (unlike when I bought the JVM), but I was wondering if anyone also had experience with:

JCM800 (2 channel)
JCM900
ENGL Fireball/Powerball.

I know the 800 and 900 are really rock amps but I reckon I could get a good level of gain with the same clarity using a powerbrake, or some kind of attenuator. I'm not a huge gain freak, the less gain the better, so as I've said before I'm looking for a nice clear sound, rather than all-out mushy hi-gain stuff.

Features-wise, the JVM is highly desireable. 4 channels with master volumes and channels footswitchable for solos, but I like things a little more simple, so I was thinking about a 2 channel amp (clean + OD) with which I was also thinking about using an MXR 10 band EQ to boost for solos and such, which also necesitates in an FX loop for the amp.

So, if there's anyone out there who can point me in a good direction - features-wise and tone wise to - for finding an amp that has:

2 to 3 channels
FX Loop
Nice clean channel (which I can sort out with compression and a dash of chorus)
Nice smooth gain, not overly hi-gain and not too classic sounding either, I do play in a metal band but I don't believe a good metal tone relies on masses of gain either.

Thanks if you've read all this jibber jabber, and if you can recommend me a decent amp to try out. And money isn't really an issue, so fire away!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Well if you want 2-3 channels the Fireball may not be enough for you. It's basically one channel with two different modes and master volumes. It has breathtaking cleans and awesome thick, clear gain though.
Other Engls you should check out: Savage, Powerball and Blackmore.

Mesas don't exactly have the smoothest gain IMO, and they are kinda buzzy unless you really crank them, but theres always some buzz.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I'm thinking you'll love the Mesa Mark IV.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
I'm thinking you'll love the Mesa Mark IV.

+1
the mark iv is a solid amp for the sound you're looking for.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
I know exactly how you feel with the JVM, I've played them many times and came away with pretty much the same feelings as you every time.

As far as Rectos go, older 2 channel ones are great, but their cleans are a bit lacking, I'm not much of a fan of the new 3 channels. You could possibly trade the JVM for a Roadster though, maybe a Road King with a little cash on your end, either one would be a killer amp.

Having owned a Mark IV, the lead channel was great on it, but R2 was REALLY lacking for me and had no balls what-so-ever, if wasn't usable without an OD, and even then it was really pushing it. The clean channel was good, but not really my cup of tea, the cleans were too warm and sterile for my liking.

The Powerball and Fireball are worth a shot as well. I haven't used either one, but I hear they don't as very well in a band situation as other amps in their range would. Plus, you have to buy the expensive footswitch to go with it

Since you have the JCM800 and 900 on your list, an amp I'd HIGLY suggest is a Splawn Nitro. I LOVED mine, but since they've gone down in price about $300 - 400 in the past few months, I saw it time for me to get rid of mine before I lost a bunch of cash on it, I could buy another one later. The clean channel on the Nitro is amazing, nice and bright, chimey, etc. The gain channel sound HUGE, thick and saturated if you want it to be, but very well defined and cuts through with tons of mids, capable of smooth tones or very aggressive rhythms - I'd recommend the EL-34/KT-77 version though, if you wanted to try out the KT-88s, it's a simple mod that is fully reversible, you can't do this with the KT-88 version.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
try out a Laney VH100 or TT head

or an OD or EQ pedal, both could add more gain to the green mode and an EQ could tighten the orange and red modes up

EDIT: if money is no object a Diezel VH4 should keep you happy
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
If money is no object a Diezel VH4 should keep you happy

Not necessarily. The VH4 is an acquired taste. I tried it side-by-side with the Einstein, Herbert, JCM800KK and a Soldano SLO and Avenger, and thought that all the other amps sounded much better than it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
matrix check your pms

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Plus, you have to buy the expensive footswitch to go with it

For the Fireball i know you can just buy any stereo footswitch or make your own.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
For the Fireball i know you can just buy any stereo footswitch or make your own.

Yeah, the Fireball can use a cheap footswitch, but the Powerball can't if he were to decide to go with that instead
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Fireball
Mark IV
Or a Randall MTS with a Grail module for the high gain, and maybe a modded SL+ for other gain, and the standard Blackface for cleans. you could probably go for the Lynch Box head, as it comes with some good equivalent modules, as well as EL34 power tubes for that delicious midrangey OD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i would say a bogner shiva if you can find one in a store.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369