Page 1 of 2
Is there any way i fix the little dent in the finish? Or am I just stuck with a dent in my guitar now.

in all seriousness, these things happen. i have a few dents in mine, and just live with it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
it adds character...love it
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
my desk has a pull-out tray thing for the keyboard, and I always end up dropping the guitar face-first (like reaching up on the desk and it just kinda falls) and get a new little ding...annoying, but works...

happened to may acoustic though, and I about flipped ****. lol
Guitars are built to be played. If you keep your guitar in perfect factory condition because you feel great pride for it, remember that you basically ensure that it's identical to every other factory guitar, and you could go out tomorrow and pick another off the shelf.

Dents and scratches tell a story and add character - you're a musician, and the guitar is a tool for your expression, it's not a piece of art. Art cannot have function.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Nov 27, 2008,
Just keep it. It'll add character.

I accidentaly dropped my Tally on the grund (Concrete, ouch ) and it has a giant crack/scratch in the finish, but nothing changed soundwise, and it kind of looks...worn in. I like it alot.

Quote by -MintSauce-
Guitars are built to be played. If you keep your guitar in perfect factory condition because you feel great pride for it, remember that you basically ensure that it's identical to ever other factory guitar, and you could go out tomorrow and pick another off the shelf.

Dents and scratches tell a story and add character - you're a musician, and the guitar is a tool for your expression, it's not a piece of art. Art cannot have function.

that sums up my feelings =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Last edited by Kai07 at Nov 27, 2008,
you guys can say all you want about "if gives character" ill let all my other guitars have all the character they want, i payed out the ass for my jackson so im going to keep it nice.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Not much you can do without removing the finish. Dents in wood can sometimes be steamed out with by laying a rag over the dent, putting a few drops of water on it and then touching it with a soldering iron. The trick is to do it without scorching the wood. Your problem is that if the wood has been sealed then the steam won't make it to the wood and theirfore it does no good.

So basically, you can't do anything about it.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by conor1148
you guys can say all you want about "if gives character" ill let all my other guitars have all the character they want, i payed out the ass for my jackson so im going to keep it nice.

Its not about keeping it nice its about s*it happening and and not paying out of our asses to get it fix and accepting it

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by -MintSauce-
Guitars are built to be played. If you keep your guitar in perfect factory condition because you feel great pride for it, remember that you basically ensure that it's identical to every other factory guitar, and you could go out tomorrow and pick another off the shelf.

+10000
My feelings exactly
EDIT: Holy hell, did Vai drop that off a bridge?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Last edited by bv310 at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by nightraven
i have exactly that problem, except my guitar has a poly finish and is literally soaked in plastic so there are no dents from whenever it crashed into the metal desk

I have actually done it two or three times since that post...seroiusly, I have added a dent and a good scratch...I don't even do that often. just since that post. lol
Quote by a_man
Nope, it has a massive crack down its body where the neck meets it. Now it goes out of tune easily.
http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/EVO/images/large_images/body_bkLRG05.jpg

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitarpages/EVO/bodyfront_frameset.html

thats what happens if you pick up your guitar by the neck alot, it sucks
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148

No offence man, but that's like buying an Aston Martin, then not being able to afford petrol and insurance.
Quote by -MintSauce-
No offence man, but that's like buying an Aston Martin, then not being able to afford petrol and insurance.

It's more like buying an aston and not being able to afford another one when it gets a scratch.
I keep my guitars nice, too. I'm completely down with the "gives character" business, but unfortunately character nixes resale value... plus Steve Vai apparently likes dents and I'm a huge contrarian
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
no one TRIES (I hope) to **** up their guitar...I don't...but once it happens, I will be less "anal" about it...
Quote by -MintSauce-

sorry that im a highschooler that cant get a job (laws here, too young) and had to save up $700 so i could have a semi nice guitar doing yard work for neighbors, yes, thats a hell of alot of acres of grass to cut, and alot of leaves to be raked.

ill still keep it nice, but only if you guys are ok with that of course
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I'm beginning to think that whole "gives it character" thing is bull****. I have so many junky-looking, beat-up, dented, chipped, rusted guitars it's not even funny. For once, I'd like a nice guitar that's SPOTLESS...
Quote by Invader Jim
I'm beginning to think that whole "gives it character" thing is bull****. I have so many junky-looking, beat-up, dented, chipped, rusted guitars it's not even funny. For once, I'd like a nice guitar that's SPOTLESS...

Yeah. My guitar already has small nicks on the back from my belt and wallet chain. Hurts me inside...

I wanna buy one of those felt backing pads to protect the back of the guitar... maybe it'll be easier to make one lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
My guitar has like a quarter-inch circular ding in the back from a stud on my jeans when I was playing particularly vigorously... sure, dings suck, but they're a normal part of playing your guitar
Why isn't being careful and loving a normal part?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Live with it. It adds character, and when you're talking to a chick you can make up some bogus story about it that makes you seem cooler.

Until she finds this thread and reads my comment
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Just to clarify my point:

By all means, take great care of your instruments - I take exceptional care of mine - but don't beat yourself up when they start showing the obvious signs of wear. Obviously, the more love you give your gear, the longer it'll stay pristine for, just don't forget that you can't protect it against everything, and something unforeseen will happen.
Quote by Invader Jim

Junky and beat-up doesn't look good. What looks good is well used and heavily played. Thats whey I don't like the "relic" jobs that people tend to do but I do sell guitars that have been "aged" to look like they have bee used for 50 to 100 years.

I do tell people that the damage adds character and I guess for some people it does. The reason I tell people this is because with most cosmetic damage there is no affordable way to fix it so it's best not to worry. Any guitar that gets played will show signs of wear eventually and there isn't a thing you can do about it so it's best to take the glass is half full approach.
Quote by Fender_Fever
Is there any way i fix the little dent in the finish? Or am I just stuck with a dent in my guitar now.

You got any pics of the damage dude so we can see how bad it is etc?

there are a few ways (that i know of) of repairing dings/dents but it depends how bad the damage is and what type/colour finish you have
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by nightraven
i have exactly that problem, except my guitar has a poly finish and is literally soaked in plastic so there are no dents from whenever it crashed into the metal desk

Ditto, I've got a really thick poly finish on my MIM telecaster, and I walk around the house with it strapped on, so I knock it on stuff from time to time. I've taken chunks out of door frames with my guitar and not scratched the paint.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by -MintSauce-
Just to clarify my point:

By all means, take great care of your instruments - I take exceptional care of mine - but don't beat yourself up when they start showing the obvious signs of wear. Obviously, the more love you give your gear, the longer it'll stay pristine for, just don't forget that you can't protect it against everything, and something unforeseen will happen.

Couldn't say it better. My guitar has dents and stuff, I hated the look of them at first but now it wouldn't be the guitar it is without them.
I cringe whenever I ding my guitar, but afterwards I realise that it just turns out to look more badass.

Not that I'd ever relic a guitar, that's just retarded to me. Just play it till it looks like it's hurtin' but sounds like it's new
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Junky and beat-up doesn't look good. What looks good is well used and heavily played. Thats whey I don't like the "relic" jobs that people tend to do but I do sell guitars that have been "aged" to look like they have bee used for 50 to 100 years.

I do tell people that the damage adds character and I guess for some people it does. The reason I tell people this is because with most cosmetic damage there is no affordable way to fix it so it's best not to worry. Any guitar that gets played will show signs of wear eventually and there isn't a thing you can do about it so it's best to take the glass is half full approach.

They WERE hevilly played. They're mostly from the '60s, but I have one or two '70s guitars. I'm just saying that I'm tired of looking at it.
I think you treat your gear like you treat your own body, you try and stay as safe as possible, but if you work hard you'll end up with a few scars and a few stories. It'd be messed up to go cutting yourself on purpose just get a scar.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Fender_Fever

If the "Ding" has literally, just dented the finish, assuming it is clear coated.

Lightly scuff the immediate dent, not outside of the dent.

Get some clear lacquer and spray it into the lid of the can.

Get loads of lacquer onto a fine paintbrush, hold it over the the ding and tap the brush with your finger, this will help the lacquer collect on the tip, then drip it into the ding.

If the ding is deep, let the first drip/few drips dry, before you do it again.

Once it is full and slightly proud of the surface, let it dry for a few days, then stick a sticking plaster over it, or two, to protect it for a few weeks while the lacquer hardens.

Then, you can gently buff it, so that it is smooth to the surface.
Quote by Invader Jim
Now I know how to make my guitars look a bit better. Thanks so much dude.

Btw, I was about to suggest epoxy...

It wont work for everything, but ths good bit is, there are no brush marks and it limits the repair to the small area.

Personally I would use a 2K, just so it cures quickly.

You can also tint the lacquer if required.

If you have to sand an area, you can spray the lacquer up to the old lacquers edge, then apply a "Blend" spray, which melts the two together, rendering it invisible if you do it right.
are we still talking about the dent? if so, you can sand that area down, fill the wood with wood filler/ putty and then sand it flush and repaint it
Quote by Invader Jim
They WERE hevilly played. They're mostly from the '60s, but I have one or two '70s guitars. I'm just saying that I'm tired of looking at it.

Fair enough. I can understand wanting a guitar that looks great as well as sounding great. I can also understand thinking the "adds character" argument is BS.

Quote by Skeet UK
If the "Ding" has literally, just dented the finish, assuming it is clear coated.

Lightly scuff the immediate dent, not outside of the dent.

Get some clear lacquer and spray it into the lid of the can.

Get loads of lacquer onto a fine paintbrush, hold it over the the ding and tap the brush with your finger, this will help the lacquer collect on the tip, then drip it into the ding.

If the ding is deep, let the first drip/few drips dry, before you do it again.

Once it is full and slightly proud of the surface, let it dry for a few days, then stick a sticking plaster over it, or two, to protect it for a few weeks while the lacquer hardens.

Then, you can gently buff it, so that it is smooth to the surface.

You forgot to mention softening the lacquer on the guitar with lacquer thinner first. Just adding lacquer like you described will typically, but not always, make the "fix" very cloudy and stand out more than the original dent. Even if you do soften the original lacquer if thinner it'll still show. I don't know any luthiers that can do "invisible" fixes on lacquer and I know a lot of luthiers. Also, this fix won't work on poly, just lacquer.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 2, 2008,
it does add character, it's just some people are more concerned with outward appearances than character.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by drewsta42
I keep my guitars nice, too. I'm completely down with the "gives character" business, but unfortunately character nixes resale value... plus Steve Vai apparently likes dents and I'm a huge contrarian

I know i got a new guitar for 150 less than what they usually sell for because of one measely little superficial crack at the bottom of the guitar.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Page 1 of 2