I was playing and the top strap screw just came out of my guitar. The wood is warped in the hole, so I can't screw it back in. Should I try to glue it back in with wood glue or should I just take it back to George's Music Tomorrow and see if they can fix it?
wood filler! worked on my old guitar
Gear:

Fender Highway One Strat
Ibanez RG321MH
Cort SFX-1
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall MG30DFX
Morley Power Wah
Mapex VX 22 (drum kit)
Mahalo flying V ukulele
Quote by drol_52
wood filler! worked on my old guitar

NOOOOOOOO!

OK, assuming the hole is round, drill it out bigger, glue a dowel in the hole, then drill a small whole for the screw and re-attach the strap lock.

I you don't know what I mean, search this forum for the guy who just had the same problem, I amongst others, explained it there...with pics.
Wood glue could work, but also try a matchstick broken off in there to jam it in there, it can work a treat
yeah either that ^ or epoxy worked for my straplok screw on my epi. it didn't wanna screw in, so i epoxied it overnight and it's held for like a year and a half now.
Quote by Skeet UK
NOOOOOOOO!

OK, assuming the hole is round, drill it out bigger, glue a dowel in the hole, then drill a small whole for the screw and re-attach the strap lock.

I you don't know what I mean, search this forum for the guy who just had the same problem, I amongst others, explained it there...with pics.

What is a dowel?

What about wood glue?

Quote by philipisabeast
Wood glue could work, but also try a matchstick broken off in there to jam it in there, it can work a treat

What's the matchstick broken off technique? I saw it in some other posts, but don't quite understand it.
Quote by Skeet UK
NOOOOOOOO!

+1

Failing that, you should try the Search Bar.

Seriously, how many threads on strap buttons do we need?
I've heard this stuff called searchbar works pretty damn well.

otherwise, if you can't seem to locate that (which it seems quite likely) then unscrew your strap button. take a matchstick (wood one, not matchbook...) and put it in the hole. break it off at the edge, so it's flush with the body. Do this once or twice. then, take your strap button + screw and put it back into the hole. the matchsticks will provide a smaller area for the screw to take up, thus lokcing the strap button in place.
------

Shwiggity.
just shove a couple of matchsticks in there and screw it back in, i did that on my bass a year or two ago and it's still holding strong.
Rockin' shit
Quote by -Lateralus-
What is a dowel?

What about wood glue?

What's the matchstick broken off technique? I saw it in some other posts, but don't quite understand it.

if you have ever taken any woodshop calss you should know what a dowel is.

if your still in school take it to your woodshop teacher, he'll know what to do. honestly that's what i would do, but if your teacher didn't tell you what a DOWEL is then maybe not.

next stop is a carpenter or like you suggested back to georges.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
just shove a couple of matchsticks in there and screw it back in, i did that on my bass a year or two ago and it's still holding strong.

like the big wood ones or just normal matches?
I used the search bar just FYI, but I wanted to know if I should maybe take it back to George's Music or Guitar Center and see what they would do (any ideas?) or should I just try the fix myself as they would probably just glue it?
Quote by Deanwings79
if you have ever taken any woodshop calss you should know what a dowel is.

if your still in school take it to your woodshop teacher, he'll know what to do. honestly that's what i would do, but if your teacher didn't tell you what a DOWEL is then maybe not.

next stop is a carpenter or like you suggested back to georges.

LOL, I never took a woodshop class, I am in college though, so no carpenters around, which is why I figured George's Music.
Quote by -MintSauce-
+1

Failing that, you should try the Search Bar.

Seriously, how many threads on strap buttons do we need?

Clearly at least two..I mean, this is a top strap button, the other was a bottom one.

I mean the difference between the two, is so incomprehensibly massive, that two threads is the minimum I think.

Also, contrary to what Skynyrd890 said, a dowel, is not a small round piece of wood.

A small round piece of wood, would be a ball.

A dowel, is a cylindrical piece of wood and can be small, medium, large or gargantuan.

Pre-made ones, often have grooves down their length, to facilitate the use of glue.

As for the glue, use Wood Glue, either PVA (white) or Titebond (yellow, stronger) types.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 27, 2008,