I know that most of you are going to say the Orange is better but I'm beginning to think I would rather just get the Laney and save £300.

If I bought the Orange I would be blowing all of my money where as getting the Laney would leave me with some left over for effects and such. Plus I've never had an amp worth more than £150 (I have an Epiphone VJR at the moment) so it seems a bit of a big jump to go from that to a £600 one especially considering I don't have much experience with different amps. The Laney also has more features such as the effects loop.

Is the difference between the two really worth £300? To a poor student that is.
I have clips on my profile giving a clean and distorted tone of the laney vc30. The distortion is all the way up and that is the most gain you will get out of the amp.

The orange will have more gain on tap.

The voicings are pretty different on each amp. What kind of tone are you looking for?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i love the sound of an orange rocker 30

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

the laney has a "clean channel" (actually just an extra gain switch, but does the same thing) so its probably more versatile

i like having reverb on the amp too

the orange has a freekin sweet crunch but unless you have £600 to throw around on what is essentially a one trick pony i'd go with the laney

but then again i have a laney VC so dont listen to me =]
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I'd go with the rocker anytime,anyday....it's one the best modern amps out there.
Although the Laney isn't bad,the rockerverb is from a way higher quality.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Rocker 30 used - go for about £400
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I've played both, they're different sounding.
I got my Orange Rocker used for £400, when its turned up its perfect sounding, not so much at lower volumes. The clean stays clean with a strat when cranked, and the OD is really smooth and clear.
The Laneys clean channel was nicer than the Oranges, but I prefer the Orange's OD.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
try them both if you can- as R_H_C_P says, they sound very different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
And remember that if you consider the price of the Laney to be £350 (ie. including the price of swapping the speaker) then you'll be comparing the amps on a more level playing field. My Laney sounds very much like an AC30 with its new Celestion G12H.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
good point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id decide which is more important to you, cleans or crunch, the VC excells alot more at cleans than the rocker does (Which IMO the cleans were pretty weak), the crunch on the laney is usable, but not amazing, which on the rocker, they really are.

But if you planning out being an effects *****, then id lean towards the VC, since its really handy to have an effects loop for reverb/delay
Does the Rockerverb 50 have nicer cleans than the Rocker 30? What is weak with the cleans of the Rocker 30?
I've also been choosing between the VC30 and Orange Rockerverb 50 (would take me a couple or more months of saving). I still haven't tried any of them, this is just from me searching around the web for some good options for me. Both Orange and Laney are a rare sight where I live so I have to decide in what direction I should aim. From all the clips I've heard I never really heard the Rockerverb clean, but I love the crunch. I really like the cleans of VC but I can't say I like the distortion at all. It's way to much british invasion and doesn't seem to have any versatility.
Quote by slamcityjam
I've also been choosing between the VC30 and Orange Rockerverb 50 (would take me a couple or more months of saving). I still haven't tried any of them, this is just from me searching around the web for some good options for me. Both Orange and Laney are a rare sight where I live so I have to decide in what direction I should aim. From all the clips I've heard I never really heard the Rockerverb clean, but I love the crunch. I really like the cleans of VC but I can't say I like the distortion at all. It's way to much british invasion and doesn't seem to have any versatility.

out of all the brands in the world i probably couldnt think of 2 which offer worse value for money in the USA than orange and laney

you can get crates and peaveys real cheap in the states, if i were you i'd look at a classic 30 a V50 or possibly a windsor

EDIT: i have no idea why i just assumed you live in america
Last edited by stevo_epi_SG_wo at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by beckyjc
The cleans sound thin, tinny and bland. And theres no EQ for the cleans.

They're not, they're just dependant on a good set of pickups. Case in point: There's a Rocker 30 clip in my profile, I think the cleans sound pretty decent.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
out of all the brands in the world i probably couldnt think of 2 which offer worse value for money in the USA than orange and laney

you can get crates and peaveys real cheap in the states, if i were you i'd look at a classic 30 a V50 or possibly a windsor

EDIT: i have no idea why i just assumed you live in america

Haha I don't, I actually live in Sweden. The Orange is really expensive here aswell, but UK is pretty close, so you can ship it. Laneys are pretty cheap. The VC30 is like 600 Euros (I don't know dollars) and the Rockerverb is maybe 1300 Euros, so yeah the difference is pretty big.
Quote by slamcityjam
Haha I don't, I actually live in Sweden. The Orange is really expensive here aswell, but UK is pretty close, so you can ship it. Laneys are pretty cheap. The VC30 is like 600 Euros (I don't know dollars) and the Rockerverb is maybe 1300 Euros, so yeah the difference is pretty big.

=0

thats epically expensive
Quote by beckyjc
I havent tried it but from my knowledge it does.

The cleans sound thin, tinny and bland. And theres no EQ for the cleans.

i thought the cleans on both the orange rocker 30 and rockerverb 50 were pretty thick? that was the problem, you weren't getting any sparkle etc. out of them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the cleans on both the orange rocker 30 and rockerverb 50 were pretty thick? that was the problem, you weren't getting any sparkle etc. out of them...

Yeah, the cleans on the 30 aren't thin by any means.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by MrCarrot
And remember that if you consider the price of the Laney to be £350 (ie. including the price of swapping the speaker) then you'll be comparing the amps on a more level playing field. My Laney sounds very much like an AC30 with its new Celestion G12H.

You're right, that makes quite a difference, I didn't think of that. The AC30 is also an option although it's the same price as the Orange. It does have more features though, the only drawback is lack of gain.

Now I'm even more undecided.
Quote by Jinskee
Yeah, the cleans on the 30 aren't thin by any means.

cheers jin
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just got an Orange Rocker 30 and am selling my AC30 for it. The Orange, while having a little less "sparkle", was immediately an overall better sounding amp. I dialed in a great crunch in 5 seconds, where I had to tweak the Vox for the longest time to find the sound I was looking for.

Anybody wanna buy a Vox?
1977 Gibson Les Paul Special DC
1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2006 PRS CE22
2006 Fender American Telecaster Deluxe
2006 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 Amplifier
More pedals than I know what to do with...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Agreed. Too thick and woolly, and not enough sparkle for me. Less so on the RV50 though? I've not tried it, but doesn't it have a) 6V6s and b) a clean EQ which should make it better clean? It may also have some more controls like presence or reverb which I don't know about which could also be very useful.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I was playing through a tele at the time, maybe that had something to do with it sounding so thin, i didnt like the cleans, id still deffinately say the Laney has better cleans.
Quote by Dave_Mc
cheers jin

Quote by beckyjc
I was playing through a tele at the time, maybe that had something to do with it sounding so thin, i didnt like the cleans, id still deffinately say the Laney has better cleans.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, i really don't like the cleans on the rocker 30.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by MrCarrot
Agreed. Too thick and woolly, and not enough sparkle for me. Less so on the RV50 though? I've not tried it, but doesn't it have a) 6V6s and b) a clean EQ which should make it better clean? It may also have some more controls like presence or reverb which I don't know about which could also be very useful.

yeah, i think so.

i actually didn't mind the cleans on the rocker 30 for what they were, but if you're after sparkle etc. you're out of luck.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?