I'm buying or looking at buying a used POD XT and can't seem to figure out how one would go about registering it in their name so that they can receive online support and all the advantages of original ownership.

Looking at the support forums on Line 6's webiste it looks as though they require you to send them a proof of purchase, the serial number and to make an online account (already have one) and then they send you a "ticket". This ticket in some way allows a person to register the product in their name.

Has anyone gone through this recently with a used Line 6 product and was it as difficult as it sounds?
yes I have been through it. just last month.
Its very easy if you have a scanner or camera
It also helps if you talk to them on the phone, my service was very nice and friendly although I did wait about 10 minutes.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Super Champ XD
Line 6 Pod XT
Crate GTD15R
Yeah it's easy, just make sure you keep your receipt, and make a post on the forums saying you need to register a used Pod and a mod will send you a ticket, which allows you to send them a picture of your recipt and your serial number, and then they register it for you.

And Congradulations on buying an awesome piece of gear =D.
its for taking a picture of your proof of purchase (receipt)
Gear
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Super Champ XD
Line 6 Pod XT
Crate GTD15R
Did the original owner register the Pod? If so, you'll want to get in contact with him. You'll have to use his account and then get in contact (either call or email) Line6 support for further help. Line6 products are attached to the account they're registered with.
The original owner has registered the pod and does not have a receipt.

Should I write my own receipt and have him sign it? What happens when the original owner has registered the gear but doesn't know his sign in name and doesn't have a receipt?

Surely they can't expect people to go without support and upgrades because they have a used piece of gear????
Nooooo. I think writing your own recipt and having him sign it should be enough, considering my recipt only described the pod as "Guitar Effect" and the price, and were happy with that as proof of purchase. All you need is that, and the serial number which is obviously on the bottom of the Pod.