Page 1 of 2
im guessing like 30-50, right? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Raven-RG60-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-104622659-i1385073.gc

thats the amp im planning on getting. my rythym guitarist has the 30 watt or something. my dad's old marshall finally blew, so i need a new one.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Well it depends on the size of the club and how much volume you are wanting for your instrument. A little more specifics please?
as loud as it can go without making people deaf (we'd use earplugs to hlep us). i dont know how big the clubs would be, not huge, probably tiny little shack rooms to average sized space.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Thats a solid state, not a tube like your Marshall probably was. It will be significantly less loud. Just a warning.

Loud enough? It depends on the size of the club, like the person above me said.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
ye a 50 watt tube amp is about the same volume as a 120 watt solid state.

60 watt solid state will definately not cut it for live gigs.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
thanks darren, that post helped me a lot.

EDIT: what about a 250 watt combo amp? specifically this - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG250DFX-Stereo-Combo-Amp-101693679-i1145928.gc (250 watt)

or this - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG100DFX-Combo-101852705-i1145940.gc (100 watt)

i'm trying to save some cash as well.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Nov 27, 2008,
Buy a 50 watt TUBE amp. That will do perfect for gigs as well as home practice. And has the best sound.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Tophue
the last amp you should ever buy is a marshall MG

Blah blah blah.
Shut up.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
but tube amps are expensive, thats the thing. how much does a normal 50 watt tube amp run for?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The 100W is fine for loudness. Tone it's not so fantastic but unless your reallly picky with tones it does fine. If your on a low budget go for the 100W. I have one and its pretty damn good
People on these forums will always bitch about the MG series but it works well if you want a cheap half decent amp
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Blah blah blah.
Shut up.

Solid state amp sucks. You must be tonedeaf to think it has any depth or liveness to it.

to TS:

Marshall Jcm 900 combo is 50 watt, and costs around 400 - 500 dollars. I have the 200 watt lead head, which is totally more awesome, but far to expensive and to loud lol.

But combo's are around 500 dollars, so not that expensive.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
but tube amps are expensive, thats the thing. how much does a normal 50 watt tube amp run for?

Yeah they are kinda expensive!

I got a Marshall AVT50, half-tube/ half solid state(the preamp is tube). It's 50 watts, and for practice at home I play a bit below 1, and to rock out, at about 2 /2.5 (out of 10 that is), so it will surely do the trick for gigging. It was around 500-600$ 2 years ago, can't recall.

In terms of quality... Well, the cleans are superb for my taste. They can be mellow, or cut through the mix, and pretty jazzy. The distorted channel is truly a matter of taste and what kind of music you play. Not harsh like Line-6 Spider distortion (so no metalcore/pure death-metal sound here), and can vary from crunchy, to petrucci-like.

Really sturdy construction, will surely last.

Only better sounding amp I've tried was an old full tube Marshall amp. Try it yourself and see

EDIT: About the loudness matter, I'm implying that 5 for example, will be too loud to play at, even being in the same room with the amp would be risky.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Last edited by X_Op3th_X at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Solid state amp sucks. You must be tonedeaf to think it has any depth or liveness to it.

Oh yeah, I forgot you played every single SS amp, right?

Quote by xxdarrenxx
But combo's are around 500 dollars, so not that expensive.

No, but replacing tubes is, over time.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Oh yeah, I forgot you played every single SS amp, right?

Apparently, what the guy said is that "most solid state amps suck". It's the same with "tube amps own". Most do, some don't.

And yeah, most solid-state amps suck.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
well even the £250ish difference between the SS and the Tube combo can be too much. I couldn't afford that! that would be manyyy months of doing nothing with my money to get a spare £250
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by X_Op3th_X
And yeah, most solid-state amps suck.

Once again, someone saying it as if it's an absolute fact.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Once again, someone saying it as if it's an absolute fact.

The "in my opinion" is implied. In my little world, it is an absolute fact. Anyway..
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
I played enough solid states. And the ones that do sound good are the ones that try too imitate a tube amp sound quality. Which is imo just being lame.

It's just the way how a tube amp works where it's sound lies. It's not so much that the sound itself sucks of solid state amps, it's just that they lack a certain character that can be found in tube amps.

But I will accept ur thing.

Post a soundclick of a solidstate amp sound (or name an SS amp), that sounds just as dynamic and breaks up smooth as a tube amp. Or a solidstate amp soundfile which has a certain unique quality that a tube amp hasn't. I'm always open for new things, and i can honestly say i be happy if u have a soundfile of a solidstate amp that has a cool character.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 27, 2008,
so let me see things straight here, because I've never gone amp shopping for myself lol, always used my dad's amp. there is solid state and tube, and you can get this as either as a stack with a head or a combo right? so im assuming solid state combo is the cheapest, but worst in terms of volume and sound quality. best would be a stack and head tube amp?

I went on Sam Ash's site and Guitar Center's site and couldnt find either the Marshall AVT50 or the Marshall JCM 900 combo 50 watt.

I guess I could do those amps that I gave links for before, but I want a little more info first.

If someone could suggest a tube combo amp, around 50 watts I guess, thats less than 600 (i don't know if that exists, but it doesnt matter what brand so long as it suits my style)

I play hard bluesy rock (think aerosmith, led zeppelin, guns n roses, cream) and a little thrash metal. So something that has two footswitchable channels (or more)would be nice, a nice clean channel and one that can get a nice crunch without sounding muddy. Generally I play with the tone controls on my epi les paul and amp set around 5-6.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
It depends on too many variables to accurately say really. Speaker efficiency, pup output and even the speaker enclosure.

On a side note..I use the mg250dfx quite regularly and it's fine.

And plenty loud enough for any situation.

Apart from a 100,000 capacity outdoor festival with no amp mic'ing..
Quote by willieturnip
It depends on too many variables to accurately say really. Speaker efficiency, pup output and even the speaker enclosure.

On a side note..I use the mg250dfx quite regularly and it's fine.

And plenty loud enough for any situation.

Apart from a 100,000 capacity outdoor festival with no amp mic'ing..

alrighty... do you use it for gigging? because if you do and it works fine i suppose i'llg et that then.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Yeah I do, I would much prefer a decent 30 watt valve amp though..

There are MUCH better amps for the money.

The peavey classic series are FANTASTIC for the cash.
Dude, grab a Peavey Valveking 112. 212 if you can.

50 watt tube amp, MORE than loud enough for what you're looking for, and amazing tone as well.

Go try one out, seriously, you'll love it. Play with the knob on the back too, trust me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

ill check those out, thanks.

so, basically what you just said was that a 30 watt tube can output same loudness and better tone than a 250 watt solid state? hot damn.

EDIT: that seems PERFECT. actually. thanks everyone for your help.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
ill check those out, thanks.

so, basically what you just said was that a 30 watt tube can output same loudness and better tone than a 250 watt solid state? hot damn.

Yup.

And MUCH better tone if tweaked a bit.

The main reason I said Valveking, is that I own the 112, I play ALL sorts of metal, and it works for all of them.

You'll need earplugs around 6

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

lol, i planned on picking some of those up anyway. is it good for hard rock too, if u turnt he gain down a bit?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Wait for the 60w Bugeras to come out. The Bugera 333XL would definitely suit you.

Not sure the Valveking could handle thrash metal... but it is a great amp and probably could with an OD pedal.

But seriously concider Bugera, great tube amps that are pretty cheap (around $500-700)
Quote by Ignite
Wait for the 60w Bugeras to come out. The Bugera 333XL would definitely suit you.

Not sure the Valveking could handle thrash metal... but it is a great amp and probably could with an OD pedal.

But seriously concider Bugera, great tube amps that are pretty cheap (around $500-700)

Valveking handles thrash fine, it's what I play most of the time

Quote by Shadow_Hawk
lol, i planned on picking some of those up anyway. is it good for hard rock too, if u turnt he gain down a bit?

Oh yeah, most versatile amp I've ever played.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

alrighty then, i thnk ill pick one up. ic ant wait for w/e the other one is called cause I don't have any other guitar amps left in my house (just bass) and I really hate practicing unplugged, I have acoustics for that ****.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Quote by Tophue
the last amp you should ever buy is a marshall MG

AGREED! you cant get any kind of tone out of that thing. atleast not with my experience with them
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
That marshall is a stereo 50x50watts anyway, so 100 in total..not 250 (as I hoped it was originally).

And yes, valves haul ass.
I agree check out the peavey's. The tone character is not my thing, but that's preference. The sound is good and it's loud.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
How long has volume been rated in watts? Never.

It's not the wattage is the number of speakers and the efficiency of the speakers.
You turn up with a 100w 2x12 and I turn up with a 50w and 2 4x12"s I'm moving more air and this will sound louder. What you need is a good amp with the right number or combination of speakers for the venue in question.
Quote by RichieJovie
How long has volume been rated in watts? Never.

It's not the wattage is the number of speakers and the efficiency of the speakers.
You turn up with a 100w 2x12 and I turn up with a 50w and 2 4x12"s I'm moving more air and this will sound louder. What you need is a good amp with the right number or combination of speakers for the venue in question.

The question here was the watt between a ss amp and a tube amp. An tube amp needs less watt to sound louder. Bigger and more speakers make it sound fuller.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
The question here was the watt between a ss amp and a tube amp. An tube amp needs less watt to sound louder. Bigger and more speakers make it sound fuller.

Wattage has and never will be a rating of volume.

Electric power is defined as the rate at which electrical energy is transferred by an electric circuit. The SI unit of power is the watt

Sound is rated in decibels.

I hate to be pedantic but the answers here are as wrong as they get.
Quote by RichieJovie
Wattage has and never will be a rating of volume.

Electric power is defined as the rate at which electrical energy is transferred by an electric circuit. The SI unit of power is the watt

Sound is rated in decibels.

I hate to be pedantic but the answers here are as wrong as they get.

while you definetely sound like you know what you're talking about, I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant for the answer I've gotten, unless the valveking amp has less decibels than one of the other amps that have been mentioned here .

But he also brings up a good point? Why don't amp makers list the maximum amount of decibels the amp can hit? that would make buying amps in terms of sheer loudness MUCH simpler, and I know that decibel count is something you can measure. So there really is no excuse.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
From personal experience, SS amps aren't too great if you put up the volume around 10, so I wouldn't suggest getting anything under 100 watts if you're getting an SS amp. I'm not saying they're bad, but you need something with pretty high wattage if you plan on gigging with it.

For a tube combo, there's a Randall that I'm like in love with that I'm planning on getting. I think it's around $600-$650. It's 50, has two channels (clean, gain). The clean channel has a button that you push to either boost the cleans or leave it clean, and on the gain channel, there are two gain controls that you can switch between by pressing a button. The only downside is that it doesn't have a footswitch to switch between channels, or at least I think it doesn't. It's the RG50TC

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/tube/index.asp#

Edit: It actually does come with a 4-button footswitch, and is also only $559 or so.
Quote by RoamingConflict
In Soviet Russia, GAS deals with you.

Quote by Lumiere Rouge
A reviewer on Amazon.com reviewing an album by the band "HiM", said that HiM is "fag metal".
Can someone explain to me what is this sub genre of fag metal? I have never heard it before.
Last edited by Mlrc at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by Mlrc
From personal experience, SS amps aren't too great if you put up the volume around 10, so I wouldn't suggest getting anything under 100 watts if you're getting an SS amp. I'm not saying they're bad, but you need something with pretty high wattage if you plan on gigging with it.

For a tube combo, there's a Randall that I'm like in love with that I'm planning on getting. I think it's around $600-$650. It's 50, has two channels (clean, gain). The clean channel has a button that you push to either boost the cleans or leave it clean, and on the gain channel, there are two gain controls that you can switch between by pressing a button. The only downside is that it doesn't have a footswitch to switch between channels, or at least I think it doesn't. It's the RG50TC

http://www.randallamplifiers.com/products/amplifiers/tube/index.asp#

lol it says at bottom comes with four way footswitch
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Page 1 of 2