Basically what my problem is every lead part i play sounds like utter crap tbh, i know this isnt down to my tone cause its the same thing im hearing not matter what equiptment im using.

What it is is im not sure if its my tecnique or what, its not as if its cause im a total beginner cause iv been playing for like 3 years (lol) but whenever i play a solo weither its mine and improvised or if its a solo iv learned it just sounds uhh! lol i dunno what it is is but it doesnt have it it just sounds blah.

I know this is really vague and probley pretty pointless but i just wondered if anyone has felt like this and what they have done to improve it or if anyone has any ideas as to what might help or if anyone just has anything they feeled helped there solo's sound better.

P.s. sorry for typing my rant up really badly

EDIT: also what i ment to say is my solos also just sound really life-less.
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Nov 27, 2008,
lack of feeling in it? try to add simple things like some good vibratos and sweet bending, lol im not sure
if it's not because you're struggling to play the solo correctly (like if you have it down technically)... watch some steve vai or something on youtube and try to act as freely as he does without messing up the solo. sometimes you just have to focus less on playing each note and just play.

and maybe learn to use vibrato better
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Pay more attention to what your'e doing - you need to understand how your actions determine the sound that comes out and be able to affect it. If it doesn't sound good more often than not it's because of something you're doing wrong so try to figure out exactly what it is your doing wrong and see what you can do to correct it.

Are your bends out of tune? Then it's because you're not bending to the correct pitch and you need to practice your bends and train your ears to recognise target notes.

Is your playing out of time? Then practice with a metronome to develop your sense of rhythm and

Is your playing inaccurate? Then slow down and work on hitting the right notes at the right time before you try to play anything quickly.

Do you just play random crap? Then get some theory knowledge under your belt to help you understand how notes fit together and how to figure out what to play over certain chords and progressions.

Are you just following patterns? Then stop and start thinking about what it is you want to create - try to build an association between the positions on the fretbard and the sounds they produce.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, if it sounds wrong make sure you are playing in key, try learning the modes and being able to improv with these over the relevant chord progressions.
If it's still sounding flat, try bends, vibrato and double stops with 3rd or 6th intervals, I find they always improve the sound of lead work.
Tbh i try to put alot of feeling into it already and im not to focused on what it is im playing like i dont consentrate loads, i dunno its just the note sounds crap like say when i bend or even just play a note.

Could it possibly be my right hand? although i cant see any real problems with it i though this could be a possiblilty.

Also i cant play very clean when i play im moving all over the fret bored and playing faster stuff (not like the stuff atm is usaully like that or anything) but do you think this might help?

also i dont know if it helps at all but i try playin sort of bluesy rock style solos sorta slash, angus, joe perry, boston that kinda of thing.

EDIT: oh and Cyberbob and steven its i dont think its that cause i know about using scales in what key and whatnot and im pretty much always playing in key its just how i play it sounds bad cause its even with other peoples solos.

EDIT2: Oh and i dont learn many solos iv only ever learnt about 4 or 5 properly but im not sure if this is anything to do with it or not cause i know a fair few people who never learnt many solos and still sounded good but i suppose they could be the lucky ones.
Last edited by Zakk_Lp at Nov 27, 2008,
Learn more solos then - and study them to see what it is that other players do that you don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

You just don't have the feel down. I recommend jamming along with ur favourite records for a long time. Or jam with friends.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Yeahh im gonna try that cause i was meaning to anyways but i though i might see if it could be anything else too.

And i take it by study them you mean tecnique wise?
Not just technique, everything - study the way they play things but also what they play in terms of the notes they use and how they fit with the underlying chords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Not just technique, everything - study the way they play things but also what they play in terms of the notes they use and how they fit with the underlying chords.
Quoted and emboldened for emphasis.

tis also the reason I suck at improvising I'm gonna do the exercise in darren's thread though and practice stuff like that for a while.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
It's very simple...

Just keep playing. EVERYBODY sounds like crap for awhile...experience will get you there...Just keep playing.

Learn simple solos to songs you are real fimiliar with and play along with the music...then try and play it along with a casio drum machine or whatever.

If you can "sing" it in head...you can play it.

Remember your brain will ALWAYS learn notes way before your hands do. All you have to do is "teach" your hands waht your brain is telling them.

It just takes time...and obsession.

Edit:
When your just sitting around watching tv work on stuff like tremelo picking and hammer ons and pull offs and bends. The notes don't even matter. Your hands will start learning the dexterity it takes.
Last edited by BeerChurch at Nov 28, 2008,