Hey guys,
Firstly, if there is a thread somewhere that would answer my questions, please, direct me there and I'll glady delete this thread.
Moving on,
I definitely need a distortion or overdrive pedal for my amp. Getting a new amp isn't an option, and I'd like the have the pedal anyway. I'm just not getting the gain and crunch that I want occasionally.
So, my first question is: What is the different between a distortion pedal, and an overdrive pedal? Which do I want?

Next: Which should I be looking at?
I wouldn't want to go too much higher than 150 bucks as I will be asking for this for Christmas. (I hate asking for stuff for Christmas, but I'm being harassed and told to do so :p

As of right now, those are all the questions I have.
Thanks a lot guys!
an overdrive pedal pushes an amps distortion and on clean it sharpens up the sound, a distortion pedal does as it suggests and distorts your clean sound. a really good dist pedal for metal is the ehx metal muff, overdrives look at mxr
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
An OD pedal is used for light-mid crunch or for boosting a tube amp.
A Dist pedal is devoted to immediate distortion.

What amp do you have?
Quote by jolleymuse
an overdrive pedal pushes an amps distortion and on clean it sharpens up the sound, a distortion pedal does as it suggests and distorts your clean sound. a really good dist pedal for metal is the ehx metal muff, overdrives look at mxr

I havent tried the metal muff but im looking at the Ibanez Tube King. Seems like no has ever heard of it. Get it before its f*cked up by Ibanez (reissue)
Ds-1!!!!

just say no
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
i find that OD is best for picking riffs/rhythm guitar, and distortion is good for heavy chords that don't have emphasis on strum pattern.

IMHO - i like OD way better

I reccommend the Boss OS-2 however, it is a distortion/overdrive pedal, with a knob that transitions between the two, a very nice mix. you can also have it on full distortion or full overdrive, the distortion sounds exactly like a Boss DS-1 and the Overdrive is pretty similar to the Boss SD-2
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
what kind of tones do you want to achieve with the pedal? you wont be using an od to boost a spider 3, so an od will get you a crunchy tone but wont take you into metal territory. if you want an OD an ibanez tube screamer is a great choice, but you can get a digitech bad monkey for 40-50 bucks and thats a good OD to. for metal, a metal muff is a good choice.
^+1

I like OD too. Fulltone OCD would be perfect but i dont think you could affford it.

Ds-1 is like an entry level dist pedal. Sorry.
since you have a solid state amp, overdrive will only be a light gain, distortion will be able to go heavier. But, fyi, pedals on modeling amps don't really mix. It might help a tad because the spider's gain channels are just terrible. I'd look at a metal muff, a ds-2 or a Jekyll and Hyde.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
^ I'm using the Samick SM25-R not the Spider.
Kinda better. But not really

Thanks for that link btw Browny! But Imma just milk a few more opinions out of this thread while it's here.
K so, is an overdrive pedal, or a distortion pedal what I want? :S
I've gotten mixed opinions.
I want to get into like...hard rock territory. And as for that one comments about strumming pattern--a LOT of my work involves the strumming pattern being noticed. So would OD be better?