Page 1 of 7
hugh20
The Heavenly Child
2,858 IQ
I'm listening to Is this it and i cant believe how perfect it is! What do you think?

Sorry if there is already a Strokes thread, i searched and couldn't find one, if there is one tell me and i'll delete this thread.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Just Andrew
UG's Lame Bob Dylan
738 IQ
The Strokes are amazing....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
jack15_11
Banned
67 IQ
Room on fire is my faourite in my opinion, due to vocals having such power!
w1L17
169 IQ
Quote by hugh20
I'm listening to Is this it and i cant believe how perfect it is! What do you think?

I think I want to buy you a beer. When I listened to it with my friends back in high school, some were like, "It all sounds the same" and they wouldn't give the songs more of a chance.

And as far as playing guitar, I'd recommend this album to anyone who'd like to learn and play along with some easy to intermediate guitar techniques.
"But first...are you...experienced?"
Meatball200
Owl-King
384 IQ
Everyone loves the Strokes, probably the most agreeable "indie" music before Arctic Monkeys came along.

Is this it is their best for sure.
Toastbot
Less than three.
13 IQ
I adore the Strokes. I'll admit First Impressions of Earth wasn't quite as good as Is This It or Room on Fire, but all their material is wonderful. However, every once and a while I do tire of them and plead all day and night for them to finish their little hiatus. Is This It is without a doubt their strongest record.
Fiddelers elbow
UG Senior Member
112 IQ
Definatly one of the best bands in the last 10 years..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
SqueegeMoney
10 IQ
The strokes are great, i like is this it too. hard to explain and alone, together are my fav. songs i think. i can see why some people say it sounds similar but they are still a classic
Horebane
UG Senior Member
992 IQ
Quote by Meatball200
Everyone loves the Strokes, probably the most agreeable "indie" music before Arctic Monkeys came along.

Is this it is their best for sure.

uhhhhh arctic monkeys are definitely nowhere near "agreeable". i'm definitely not the only one who thinks they are overrated NME hype trash. their not bad, but.... okay i should stop here.

on topic, the strokes are really great. i'm actually really surprised this is the first thread about them. first two albums were really good, first impressions didn't live up to the previous two albums, but it shows that they are moving on and i'm looking forward to their next album.
takeforexample
14 IQ
Is This It is definitely an awesome album... I read that they said that they wanted it to have that feeling like when you hear your favorite song on the radio, which they definitely accomplished. Someday is one of my favorite songs from that album... Room on Fire was great too, 12:51 is amazing. I was disappointed with First Impressions but oh well, even the best of bands can't be perfect all the time . cant wait for new material from them, i feel like it's been forever...
Bumcivilian
Registered Sex Offender.
282 IQ
Reptilia is a fun song to play. Is This It is their best album. They are good.
I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.
s7706
1,267 IQ
Probably my favourite modern band. They are so original! I agree Is This It is their best and my fave album ever!
thewho65
Back?
319 IQ
I liked Is This It and Room on Fire, but was not really fond of First Impressions of the Earth.
FakeyPie
10 IQ
Definitely used to be one of my favorite bands.

But I saw them live and they were pretty douchey. After getting on stage really late, Casablancas says "thanks everyone, but we don't do ****in encores" at the end of the show. Got rock and roll jaded after only 2 albums.

Also, what is the deal with his vocals? I get that the radio effect thing is his style, but it's also kind of a way to cover up the fact that he can't sing.
SqueegeMoney
10 IQ
Quote by FakeyPie
Definitely used to be one of my favorite bands.

But I saw them live and they were pretty douchey. After getting on stage really late, Casablancas says "thanks everyone, but we don't do ****in encores" at the end of the show. Got rock and roll jaded after only 2 albums.

Also, what is the deal with his vocals? I get that the radio effect thing is his style, but it's also kind of a way to cover up the fact that he can't sing.

dang that does suck. i hate when guys are douchey. i saw the hives, and the guy was extremely cocky, i think he was trying to be funny but it got out of hand when he referred to himself as a god....kinda just gets annoying
stereocustard
21 IQ
the strokes were my first and only concert (i know...i need to go to more concerts) but i thought they were amazing. granted, this was for their first impressions of earth tour - an album i initially hated when i first listened to it. but still, they're my favorite band, and i agree with everyone who's said that is this it is their best album overall. my favorite songs are what ever happened, under control, and someday.
Greenwood991
Whats that?
353 IQ
my band just did a cover of Last Night for our gig.
its so simple yet great

honestly compared to their others songs, reptillia is midly good
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
null
34 IQ
Well, like Radiohead and Modest Mouse, I have yet to hear a song from the Strokes I dislike. And Fab's other band, Little Joy, is also very awesome. Not to mention Albert Hammond Jr.s solo albums...yeah, these guys rock.
Chris~D
10 IQ
Yeah, that's their best album. Nice album cover too
I read they were on a hiatus atm.
Check out Albert Hammond Jr.'s stuff, it's not too bad
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Anybody else heard When It Started? Awesome song!
I got it off an old NME best of kinda thing, but have no idea where it's from! Can anybody help me out?
jim morrison714
377 IQ
When It Started is from the US version of Is This It? I think that NY City Cops was omitted from the US version because of 9/11 or something.
Meatball200
Owl-King
384 IQ
^ Yeah it was.

Can't figure why Hawaii wasn't put on First Impressions. Its my favourite track from that time but they only used it as a B-side for Juicebox for some reason.
Air Raid Siren
UG Newbie
12 IQ
I really like what i've heard and thats only from one album (Is This It)

Alone, Together, Someday and Last Nite are classics
jim morrison714
377 IQ
Quote by Meatball200
^ Yeah it was.

Can't figure why Hawaii wasn't put on First Impressions. Its my favourite track from that time but they only used it as a B-side for Juicebox for some reason.

is your version of Hawaii live? I can only find a live version of that song.
littlejoy
Is This It?
95 IQ
YES. finally a guitar forum who know who the strokes r. the second i read this i registered.

ive met julian and fab, they were both REALLY nice. julian was more laid back. but fab gave autographs, free little joy tshirt, i took a pic with him and i got free tickets to a little joy show.

and yes Is This It? is for sure the best. they r all great, right now im listening and playing along to tryin your luck
littlejoy
Is This It?
95 IQ
o and i love Gfc from albert. his other stuff is pretty good too. o and nickel eye is actually ok. anybody else hear his stuff?
jim morrison714
377 IQ
Thank god. I can't wait any longer for another album. What I've heard from Little Joy, I enjoy a lot.

and Yours to Keep > Como Te Llama?
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
How is this thread so short?!

It's the Strokes!

I'm not hugely into ALL their material, but a lot of it is just amazingly good. Sometimes they just get all instuments and vocals spot on, and there's nothing bad about the song you can point out. And they put more into each area of the song than they have to compared to most of their competitors.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
jim morrison714
377 IQ
and Albert and Nick's guitar tones make me salivate along with Julian's distorted vocals...especially on the first two albums
littlejoy
Is This It?
95 IQ
yes definitely. ya yours to keep had alot more ''god songs'', while como te llama? had less ''god songs'' but a few more ''songs''. like quality over quantity
jim morrison714
377 IQ
Yeah, I agree. btw this site ( http://shesfixingherhair.co.uk/ ) is amazing. Go to multimedia and you can download a bunch of really cool stuff in the audio section. You can even download concerts of theirs if you go to the video part.
Libertine..
331 IQ
Quote by jim morrison714
Yeah, I agree. btw this site ( http://shesfixingherhair.co.uk/ ) is amazing. Go to multimedia and you can download a bunch of really cool stuff in the audio section. You can even download concerts of theirs if you go to the video part.

Ahh cheers for that , never knew they had a Peel session
Last edited by Libertine.. at Jul 8, 2009,