Page 1 of 2
Recently I've been listening to a few bands like DFA1979 and Om, which lack guitar, and they manage to sound extremely good despite their instrumental "handicap".

So I sort of have a band put together, consisting of me (on bass), and two friends on drums and vocals, and we're in the process of searching for a guitarist.

But could we pull off not having one? What would be challenging about it? We really have no desire to do too many covers, if any.
meh it depends, DFA1979 is a pretty electronic band and used synths as well, it depends on the type of music youre playing. But if youre going for hip hop, by all means! lol but seriously, you could probly pull it off, you just have to find your own sound
You could do without a guitar, but the overall sound would just feel empty. Try putting in a thrid sound to your songs, like piano or horn. But bass alone would be hard.
I know a band with only bass, vocals, drums but I don't remember the name
I'm going to try this as well. Sounds like a fun experiment.
Quote by Jimmy94

"I like dark jazz like OPETH"
"you should listen to BETWEEN THE BURIED IN ME"
"that is not real jazz"
"LOL R U KIDDING ME HNNNNGGGG"
Quote by PieDudeGuy
You could do without a guitar, but the overall sound would just feel empty. Try putting in a thrid sound to your songs, like piano or horn. But bass alone would be hard.

It's actually that empty sound that I'm after. Though, I am gonna purchase a 8 string bass (strung like a 12 string guitar) pretty soon so that might help fill out the sound a bit.

However, it'd indeed be cool if we could find a synth or piano player...
Sure, I think it'd work.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
It's actually that empty sound that I'm after. Though, I am gonna purchase a 8 string bass (strung like a 12 string guitar) pretty soon so that might help fill out the sound a bit.

a loop pedal would be very good for you. you can play a little catchy riff at fret 15 and start grooving below it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
wait did you say that youre gonna have two drummers?

I know some people who say they are going to start a band like this, their plan for the drums is for both of them to be playing the same rhythm, and then play different fills at the same time then come back in at the same time.
^their words

Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
wait did you say that youre gonna have two drummers?

I think he meant 2 friends on drums and vocals respectively.
when i read scar tissue, hillel slovak (there original guitarist) was suffering from a drug withdrawl and couldnt play the show adn they did just bass, drums and vocals and they said nobody booed, so maybe, itd be a deeper sound but probably could write songs liek that until u get a guitarist
Try adding more delay.
Biamp the bass, bass --> signal splitter.

Channel A - splitter --> clean into amp
Channel B - splitter --> Big muff or other low end sucking distortion --> second amp.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by PieDudeGuy

Not true.

Check out the avant garde band "Ruins"

Bass and drums band.

Absolutely incredible.
it could certainly work, if i was you i would get a nice fuzz or overdrive pedal
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Get a distortion pedal, play some sludgy/crusty simple punk.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Piano would add alot. Check out the new steve winwood stuff, he's got at least one song that's drums, bass, organ. Maybe a little guitar, in the transitions. It could work, dunno how you play, eg. style, influences, etc.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Actually--my husband I do this all of the time. He's got a great singing voice and he plays drums and I play bass. We were just messing on "Love is the Drug" by Roxy Music, just drums and bass. Yes, we play quite a bit of DFA and Blur influenced fuzz /distortion rock, but we also do extended blues jams and some funkier stuff now.

A looping pedal would be cool though, and I might ask for one for the ol' birthday this year.
You could definetly pull it off, do it like my buddies band which is also just bass and drums. Get a guitar head and pump in some distortion. If you wanna check what his bass is sounding like, www.myspace.com/ttthechronic
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
listen to lightning bolt and bassinvaders, neither of those play with a guitarist at all
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Raizer Sabre
listen to lightning bolt and bassinvaders, neither of those play with a guitarist at all

Thank you, Bassinvaders is incredible.

What's interesting about them though is they apparently have like, 3 bass players? Lead, rhythm, and bass... Great sound, though.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

you could definitely pull it off then. Even though you're after an "empty sound," vocal drums and bass alone is too empty. Adding a keyboardist and getting the 8 string will probably help a lot
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
you could definitely pull it off then. Even though you're after an "empty sound," vocal drums and bass alone is too empty. Adding a keyboardist and getting the 8 string will probably help a lot

Have you actually listened to DFA?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
me and a friend tryed this

we wrote a jazzy(more like blues really) song about soup.

sounded pretty good.

i think the key is what you play.
it can be hard for an inexperienced player to be in a band like this and not play the same riff to much, i did, that's why we only ever wrote 2 songs.

bass sound is also the bottom line, if your bass sounds bad, you're going to have trouble.
Last edited by 2112pk at Nov 29, 2008,
My band doesn't have a guitarist, and I think we get along fine. Bass chords and double stops are your friend though. One thing I like to do is play a melody higher up on the freeboard while pedaling with an open string or sometimes fretting something on the low b of my schecter.
Quote by Copius
My band doesn't have a guitarist, and I think we get along fine. Bass chords and double stops are your friend though. One thing I like to do is play a melody higher up on the freeboard while pedaling with an open string or sometimes fretting something on the low b of my schecter.

Is that you guys in your sig? You sound pretty cool. Time's Up is pretty laid back and I like the double stops and chording in Post Existentialism.

I have a friend in jazz band who plays alto sax... that actually might be a nice addition.
You can do whatever the hell you want. This is music. THERE ARE NO RULES.
I have done it, when I first started my band, but now we've got a guitar player.
Loop pedals can be useful, but they force you to keep on playing over the same loop, where a guitar/piano/2nd bass player can react on what you're playing.

You could always get a piano player if really want no guitar, and be the next ben fold's five :p
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Is that you guys in your sig? You sound pretty cool. Time's Up is pretty laid back and I like the double stops and chording in Post Existentialism.

I have a friend in jazz band who plays alto sax... that actually might be a nice addition.

Yup, that'd be us. Thanks. I love having a saxophonist in the band, its really a much more versitile instrument then people give it credit for.
Write the songs, then figure out the limitations/what you need
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
You can do it, but it'll likely take some creative playing. A 6-string might be helpful, because you can mimic the sound of double-stops and sometimes even power chords on a guitar. With some even more creative playing, you could play with just you, a drummer, and vocals, but it's quite difficult.

Look at how this guy incorporates rhythm-guitar type techniques into his playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHqeePBq3I
Nope, no sig here.
I'd advise against an 8 string, that's just my oppinion, but It seems like you can get the same sound with an octave pedal to me; although an 8 string will sound slightly better, the difference is negligible (MY oppinion!) and you can't turn it on/off.

have you heard of MOOG taurus pedals? I tought about getting a similar effect on the cheap using MIDI organ pedals and a synth module.

get your singer to learn to play keys or something!
Quote by capslockisnton
you could just get a whole bunch of bassists and do something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXy0hZDIrmY&feature=related

That was the greatest thing I've ever seen in my whole life.
Quote by jimRH7
I'd advise against an 8 string, that's just my oppinion, but It seems like you can get the same sound with an octave pedal to me; although an 8 string will sound slightly better, the difference is negligible (MY oppinion!) and you can't turn it on/off.

I think there's enough difference between an 8 string and an octave pedal to warrant getting an 8 string.

Although I'd skip 8 and go to 12 strings. Sound even better.
Page 1 of 2