Hey people, i have my GH100L and orange 2x12 and love it, however I'd like a combo amp for transportation and have narrowed it down to 2 amps, but am very open to suggestions

Marshall 2266c (Gilberts amp)

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2266C
http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_2266C.html

ENGL Screamer

http://www.hotroxuk.com/engl-font-color-orangered-screamer-50w-combo-e-330-7891-0.html

opinions?

I'll be going second hand so have a £500 MAX budget
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
laney tt combo, maybe? has a lot more gain than the VM out of the box, and sounds a bit more british/thicker/rounder than the screamer for lead, i think.

i think gilbert uses a lot of stomps to get the tone he does out of the VM.

EDIT: only problem being, it might not feel like much of a change from your GH (i haven't tried the GH though).

EDIT #2: you know better than me, but will a combo be much easier to transport than head + 2x12?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He used to use a Fulltone OCD but is now using a Bajo Mos

http://www.boogiemusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=58946

Aside from that everything else on his pedal board is for other effects.

Dave, that is exactly what i was going to say, although i love my tone at the moment I'd like something different from the combo and yea it'll be easier, trust me orange cabs weigh a TON
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
oh, ok, an hbe bajo mos... isn't that the bass version? i've tried the uno mos, it's quite nice, it is a clean boost though.

regarding the amps, i guess just try both if at all possible and see what you think? the big problem with the vm is that you have to crank it a lot. but the screamer may sound a little too american (or it may not)...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Shoot. I thought the ENGL was super cheap, then I realized it was in pounds not dollars :
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh, ok, an hbe bajo mos... isn't that the bass version? i've tried the uno mos, it's quite nice, it is a clean boost though.

regarding the amps, i guess just try both if at all possible and see what you think? the big problem with the vm is that you have to crank it a lot. but the screamer may sound a little too american (or it may not)...

Aye it is the bass version but that's the one Paul uses. All his distortion comes from his amp, he just uses the Bajo Mos for a bass boost and his Detox as a clean channel.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Just out of curiosity, are you in a Racer X/Mr. Big cover band? Otherwise, why do you want someone else's tone?
I can tell you that live, he uses two of the Marshall Vintage Modern combos, a THD Hotplate, MXR Phase 100, EHX Electric Mistress, MXR Blue Box; plus a load of other effects that I didn't recognise.

Saw him on Monday .
Quote by Highwaytohell
Just out of curiosity, are you in a Racer X/Mr. Big cover band? Otherwise, why do you want someone else's tone?

Maybe that's more a direction of tone he wants to head out into? Personally I love Paul's lead tone, what's wrong with wanting to copy some of his effects/amps to get closer? It's always going to sound different to Paul's tone and playing because he's not Paul, thus it's always going to sound individual to him.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Quote by Azza Dutt
Maybe that's more a direction of tone he wants to head out into? Personally I love Paul's lead tone, what's wrong with wanting to copy some of his effects/amps to get closer? It's always going to sound different to Paul's tone and playing because he's not Paul, thus it's always going to sound worse than him.

Corrected

Azza what's your take on the amp situation?

Thanks for telling me Paul's rig but I'm fanatical about Gilbert so i knew it anyway

I intend on playing nothing but Gilbert in the next 2/3 years to help me technically
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
^Lol, I hope you have a strong will. Playing nothing but Gilbert will destroy you.

Personally I'd get an Orange 1x12 cab and use that with your head, maybe invest in a couple of pedals (like the ones that Gilbert uses).
Quote by sharpant
Corrected

Thanks for telling me Paul's rig but I'm fanatical about Gilbert so i knew it anyway

I intend on playing nothing but Gilbert in the next 2/3 years to help me technically

That will ruin your playing. Sticking to one style will just box you in musically, which is not what Paul is about. Play a ton of paul gilbert, AND delve into new music, other music, different kinds of music. Develop an ear and tone for different styles, mash em up, and make it your own. Never put yourself in a box... Just my 2 cents.
You do know that he PG used 2 Laney VC 50s right? So that sounds ideal if you were to run up and ask me.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
1. VC 50'S are out of production now, although ebay is a possibility

2. He used the GH100L for recordings

3. I'd like to have something different to a Laney as i have it as my head :P

4.Thanks anyway!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Corrected

Personally I appear to be in almost the exact same position. I decided that for now I'm gonna save my cash. We all know the fireman is coming! Wait and see if that plays as well as it looks, and if it does buy that and wait for an amp. Otherwise I'll go amp hunting.

I'm gonna try out amps at some point either way. Personally if you want the Gilbert tone I'd go for the Marshall, Paul clearly rates it if he uses just that for his distortion sound. I'm going to look into the Marshall as well as a Mesa. I love Mesas they're just so expensive in the UK
Quote by saphrax

Last edited by Azza Dutt at Nov 27, 2008,
What mesas are you looking into? I suppose saving is the best option with the fireman coming in january :P If the price is insane or there are only 55 released I'll have a nice amount of money to spend on a combo

My clear coat and bareknuckle pickups installation is costing me £270

£220 = parents for x mas

£50 = me

oooooo £200 in bank account in 5 mins lol teco pay!
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by sharpant
There is a shop that stock's the vintage modern close to me but no where stocks the ENGL they sell for such low prices on ebay though, check this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=250319970240

ah, that's the problem.

Quote by Azza Dutt
Aye it is the bass version but that's the one Paul uses. All his distortion comes from his amp, he just uses the Bajo Mos for a bass boost and his Detox as a clean channel.

thanks. if the bajo mos is anything like the uno mos, though, it's going to boost the amp's distortion quite a bit, too. especially if the amp already has quite a bit of dirt going on.

Quote by sharpant
1. VC 50'S are out of production now, although ebay is a possibility

2. He used the GH100L for recordings

3. I'd like to have something different to a Laney as i have it as my head :P

4.Thanks anyway!

yeah, i'd have thought if you weren't going for the laney tt because it may be too similar to what you already have (even psychologically- don't worry, i'd be the exact same, since i got my engl savage SE i've had virtually no GAS for any other Engl ), the vc50 is likely to be even more similar. I haven't tried the vc50 (or the GH), but both are meant to be pretty close to the laney vh 100r, so odds are it'd sound pretty similar to what you already have.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah man I'd kill to be locked in a room with my PGM a ENGL screamer and a Marshall VM + Fulltone OCD
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
yeah, i know the feeling, man. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to buy a cornford carrera, and there's no way i can try one (i've tried a few of the other cornfords).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?