Can anyone recommend a good noise gate pedal or maybe its a different type of pedal i'm looking for. I know very little about these pedals.
Basically I want to eliminate hum and feedback when I have my hand covering the strings, but still have enough sustain to nail whammy harmonics etc when playing...
ISP Decimator

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
ISP Decimator/G-String.

How much gain do you use? Do you stand very close to your amp?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I bet you don't need as much as you're using. Good technique will make those harmonics sound just as good with less gain.

I promise.

Turn your gain back a little and see if that helps, you may save yourself ~$150+.
Quote by sargasm
No offence but I dont need any tips on pinch harmonics, its one technique I have nailed. I can get great ones with less gain, I can get them with no gain. I prefer how they sound with more gain.

Regardless of how high I have the gain I still get a hum from my distortion pedal (MT-2)
MT-2's aren't great pedals, it'll help to replace that with a metal muff or somthing. But anyways, the ISP decimator is your best bet.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
MT-2's aren't great pedals, it'll help to replace that with a metal muff or somthing. But anyways, the ISP decimator is your best bet.

Blah blah blah.

Barry_C: It's your $150~$230 for an ISP Decimator. If you're gonna get a noise gate get a good one. But it's your settings that 'cause you feed back.

Waste your money I don't care lol.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Blah blah blah.

Barry_C: It's your $150~$230 for an ISP Decimator. If you're gonna get a noise gate get a good one. But it's your settings that 'cause you feed back.

Waste your money I don't care lol.

don't blah me, I had a mt-2 for 2 years, still do, it sits in the corner, piece of garbage.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I play in a metal band, we do alot of dead stops which should be completely silent. Doesnt sound good if my mt-2 is still humming, and i'm hardly gonna turn it off at every single stop. So I wouldnt call it a waste of money. Like I said, no matter how low I turn the gain on the mt-2 there is still a hum. No need for hostility.
Quote by Barry_C
I play in a metal band, we do alot of dead stops which should be completely silent. Doesnt sound good if my mt-2 is still humming, and i'm hardly gonna turn it off at every single stop. So I wouldnt call it a waste of money. Like I said, no matter how low I turn the gain on the mt-2 there is still a hum. No need for hostility.

Are you playing your MT-2 over the clean or gain channel?

Quote by l3p4rd
don't blah me, I had a mt-2 for 2 years, still do, it sits in the corner, piece of garbage.

No one asked. No one cares. He likes his MT-2 leave him alone. And just 'cause you suck at tweaking doesn't mean a pedal is bad.
Quote by sargasm
Clean channel, I wouldnt see any point in using it on the gain channel. There is also some clean sections in some of the songs I play with my band. I'm not completely happy with the mt-2 anyway. I have a couple of options, like purchasing a metal muff or footswitches for my cube 60. havent decided which would give me the best distortion yet.
i use a boss noise supressor and i like it. you may want to turn it off if you're doing touchy solos though cause unless you set it right it can make them sound weird
Quote by riffrocker1239
i use a boss noise supressor and i like it. you may want to turn it off if you're doing touchy solos though cause unless you set it right it can make them sound weird

The NS-2 seems like a popular choice among touring musicians (based on the Vulgar Display of Power section of Guitar World magazine). Matt Tuck from BFMV goes as far as having two on his pedalboard.
Last edited by Kenny77 at Nov 27, 2008,
No don't get a Boss noise suppressor. The ISP Decimator is far and beyond the best one on the market.
Quote by sargasm
DONT get the Boss NS-2, they suck tone/sustain.
If you're gonna get a noise reducer, get the ISP Decimator.
If you're strapped for cash get an MXR Smart Gate.
Playing a digital distortion pedal over a digital amp mod/setting is going to result in a bland, noisy tone.

Use the Cube 60's distortion presets instead and get an iSP Decimator to gate the hiss, hum and feedback.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i dont know how real bands can even publicize a NS-2
i absolutely hate it

hows the noise gate on the gmajor? im looking into getting one
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
You must mean endorse... Simple consensus is dial back your gain, or buy an ISP.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
You must mean endorse... Simple consensus is dial back your gain, or buy an ISP.

well yeah, just because you read it in a mag doesnt mean he ALWAYS or even SOMETIMES uses it. that sounds like the one where zakk wylde plays out of an MG.
well no

thats worse,

but yeah, bullet has a $hitload of gain and i really doubt they go to boss pedals for results

flameshield on*
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
I never said because I "read" it in a magazine it's true. I'm just saying they "Endorse" stuff for $$$, and probably never touch it outside of the pictures they take.

Trying to bypass the filter is probably a bad idea... but I see it all the time for some reason.
Quote by sargasm
I'd recommend buying a Line6 Uber Metal Distortion pedal, it's actually very good. It'll cost you less than $100, and IT HAS A BUILT IN NOISE GATE.
they arent endorsed for the boss ns-2. some people just actually like it!!! everyone talks **** on it here even when they havent tried one.

from my experience with the boss ns-2
: if you are in standard tuning, with light gauge strings, you most likely will not experience any tone loss, just a little sustain loss...

but if you play with thick strings and/or in low tunings (<drop c) then you can really notice the tone loss with the ns-2.

if you get noise that bothers you when you stop playing, its too much gain. period. i am 100% the tone is ****. roll of the gain. and learn to dig in with the pick. a good player can rock the **** out on a low gain amp any day of the week. im a metal head, but i know when too much gain is too much gain.
Well Enough Alone
^^^^100% agreed......the NS-2 bashing on this forum is mostly from those who've never played it.

I run mine in an effects loop, and it does a fantastic job with no tone loss.....I can forget it's there, unless I don't turn it on....then I know really quick. I had to mess with the pedal a bit to get it to sound good for me, but that's a given with any pedal.....anyone who doesn't fool with knobs on their gear and spend some time figuring out the sounds they can get with it should just quit guitar.

Granted, I don't play metal, and I don't play with insane amounts of gain. I haven't played the ISP, so I won't comment on if it is better. But the NS-2 for me does the trick perfectly, and I see no reason to buy another, more expensive pedal to replace it.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by guitardude11
they arent endorsed for the boss ns-2. some people just actually like it!!! everyone talks **** on it here even when they havent tried one.

from my experience with the boss ns-2: if you are in standard tuning, with light gauge strings, you most likely will not experience any tone loss, just a little sustain loss...

but if you play with thick strings and/or in low tunings (<drop c) then you can really notice the tone loss with the ns-2.

if you get noise that bothers you when you stop playing, its too much gain. period. i am 100% the tone is ****. roll of the gain. and learn to dig in with the pick. a good player can rock the **** out on a low gain amp any day of the week. im a metal head, but i know when too much gain is too much gain.

So... why not just get an ISP and not worry about tone loss at all? lol...
Quote by sargasm
Quote by ilovemySG

but yeah, bullet has a $hitload of gain and i really doubt they go to boss pedals for results

flameshield on*

You better be glad that you put your flameshield on...

Matt Tuck's pedalboard is as follows: Guitar>Morley Bad Horsie>Boss TU-2>Boss NS-2>MXR ZW44>Ibanez CS9>Boss NS-2>Amp

He does in fact use 2 NS-2s in his pedal chain.

Not to mention that 90% of touring guitarists are using the NS-2. How many pros use the Decimator??

I have been using the NS-2 for a few years now (and I know several other local guitarists that use them) and I have yet to witness any loss of tone whatsoever. I will admit if its not set right then it really kills your sustain, but I haven't ever heard it effect tone before.
So wait.. you're saying the Boss NS-2 doesn't kill tone... then citing bullet for my valentine (I can't believe I typed that out) as your strong argument.

Pick someone who has a good sound before you try to make a statement like that.

*EDIT*

http://www.isptechnologies.com/artistnews.htm lol...
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
So wait.. you're saying the Boss NS-2 doesn't kill tone... then citing bullet for my valentine (I can't believe I typed that out) as your strong argument.

Pick someone who has a good sound before you try to make a statement like that.

im not referring to the quality of the kids tone, but the amount of gain
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
im not referring to the quality of the kids tone, but the amount of gain

The argument was that the NS-2 kills tone. They suck. He sucks. Maybe it has to do with the NS-2, maybe not.

Oh there's a list of guitarists (I betcha it's not absolute) who use the ISP.
Quote by sargasm
1. MT2 sucks (<----realise)
2. Become a better guitar player
3. Turn down gain
4. ?????
5. Profit
Quote by georgakis187
1. MT2 sucks (<----realise)
2. Become a better guitar player
3. Turn down gain
4. ?????
5. Profit

This is supposed to be directed at me?
Glad to see theres so much maturity on these forums.

Lets get it straight, I dont use insane amounts of gain, and I dont love the MT-2 or anything close to it. I'm using it in the mean time until a get a footswitch for my cube or perhaps another distortion pedal.

Again, no offence, but I didnt start this thread for playing tips and I dont think I need any from you.

Thanks to everyone for the help by the way.
Last edited by Barry_C at Nov 28, 2008,
I wish I'd never bough an NS-2...

All my hum, hiss and feedback problems were solved when I replaced all my gear with quality components. The biggest difference was made by replacing all my cables with quality ones. Now the Ns-2 just sits on my pedalboard and never gets used.

I don't like the way the NS-2 works either, its seems to take a second to kick in when the noise starts - and you can see when it starts working cos the little red light comes on...
Ibanez SAS32FM
Dunlop Crybaby
Korg Pitchblack
Boss LS-2
Boss SD-1 + 2 x Clones... all modded of course
Fulltone GT2
Hardwire DL-8
Big Muff (Russian)
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Vox AC30CC2
I use the MXR Smart gate, and it's great for controlling feedback and keeping your riffs nice and tight. That's only when the gain is super high, though. I dial back the gain for most songs, and that does the trick. Some people don't realize that the louder you crank your amp, the less distortion you need to achieve a good crunch with sustain. Most non-gigging players end up shooting themselves in the foot because they play in their bedroom with the gain all the way up and the volume down, which sounds good, but they try and maintain that level of gain when they go and play with other people, and they crank the amp higher than they're used to and end up with massive amounts of feedback, noise, and a general loss of control over their tone.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
I use the MXR Smart gate, and it's great for controlling feedback and keeping your riffs nice and tight. That's only when the gain is super high, though. I dial back the gain for most songs, and that does the trick. Some people don't realize that the louder you crank your amp, the less distortion you need to achieve a good crunch with sustain. Most non-gigging players end up shooting themselves in the foot because they play in their bedroom with the gain all the way up and the volume down, which sounds good, but they try and maintain that level of gain when they go and play with other people, and they crank the amp higher than they're used to and end up with massive amounts of feedback, noise, and a general loss of control over their tone.
This is true. I've seen countless people who just don't know how to dial in thier amp at loud volume levels. The higher the volume, the less gain you need. Clarity and maintaining a solid foundation of tone is what really matters in the end.
As for the NS-2, I use one in my loop to rid my signal of a bit of hum when my loop is engaged. It is technically a noise suppressor after all. For gating feedback and ridding my amp of some swirling hiss, I use an ISP Decimator in front of the amp.
In my opinion, after using a NS-2 for almost 10 years with various amps, tone suck starts to happen when the Threshold dial is past 3 'o clock. It's minimal, but there.
It is also less apparent at loud, jam/practice volume levels.
If you are just coming to conclusions about gear from sitting in your room disecting your "tone" at low volume levels, then you're going nowhere, fast.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Nov 29, 2008,