at xmas im getting a valveking.
im gonna run some pedals through it
these are 535 wah, fish n chips and bad monkey or a maxon 808.

aside from the pedals what cables to i need to do this? and is it worth spending the extra money for the od808 over the bad monkey? oh and btw im using the od to create a metal sound.
cheers
Last edited by bbtemp at Nov 27, 2008,
You just need cables, preferably small ones used in pedal boards, and yes it's worth spending money on a distortion pedal.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
im talking about an o.d pedal, not a dist, and im asking whether its worth buying the od808 over the bad monkey, im using the o.d for more gain to get metal tone.
Last edited by bbtemp at Nov 27, 2008,
You wouldnt want to put the wah or OD in the FX loop anyways. The OD is to push the preamp. In the loop its after the preamp. But regular guitar cables is what you use to connect em.
ahhh nice i understand now.
i have a 30 ft cable, so that goes from my guitar, through the pedals and then a cable out the final pedal into my amp?
i see.
cheers mate!

and can anyone answer whether i should get the maxon 808 od for metal?
i play everything rlly, my favourite metal bands are metallica, machine head, and i like stuff like qotsa and ratm too.
nothing too heavy.
would i be able to do this with an 808 or should i try out a metal muff too?
You'll be better of with a TS9 if you like the tubescreamer series. The TS808 is a bit more vintageish sounding than its reissue.
For a start, you're not using the gain as much on the TS-9 as you are the Level knob. Also, the TS-9 has a middy boost which will give clarity to the dark and american sounding Valveking. Check the Valveking thread if you want some info on your amp.
Yeah dude stick with the bad monkey, its cheap and it should do the job.
If you have a nice guitar or a guitar with EMG pickups or something heavy like that,
you might not even need the OD pedal.
Ok, I'll try to be clearer:

1. The tubescreamer (TS-9) will make your guitar signal stronger and louder, which will make the valves(tubes) inside the amp create more gain. You do this by turning the Level knob up and the Gain knob down. It sounds better than turning the gain knob up on the TS-9.

2. The tubescreamer also adds more midrange to your signal, which has the effect of turning up the mids on the amp. This makes the guitar sound clearer with a Valveking, because it is "American" voiced (meaning that it naturally sounds "scooped" ).
Quote by Tackleberry
You wouldnt want to put the wah or OD in the FX loop anyways. The OD is to push the preamp. In the loop its after the preamp. But regular guitar cables is what you use to connect em.

An OD doesn't push a pre-amp, it just adds a gain stage before it. It shapes the tone and gives more output before it reaches the amp, Much like a Mark series amps pre-gain.

You shouldn't need to run the OD and wah through the loop. Things like OD, distortion, Wah, tuner, are all between the guitar amp and the guitar.

Chorus, delay, tremolo, phaser, etc.. are what usually go in the loop.
Signatures are overrated.
i think i understand bartdevil. cheers for that, would that be better for metal than the od08 then?