So is the truth, or personal happiness more important?

Me and my mate have been arguing about this for a really long time, and so we have decided to both write papers on it and put it in the school newspaper and have the school vote on what is more important. Thing is, I can't come up with good reasons (its not allowed to just be an opinion piece, it has to explore all directions, part of the rules)

What I have so far FOR truth:
1. Not telling the truth is 'sin'
2. How can you be happy not telling the truth?
3. You usually have more evidence to back up the truth so that people believe you

What I have AGAINST truth:
1. The truth might just 'cause pain to everyone who hears it.
2. The truth you believe is not always the truth others believe, so how do you know?
3. To lie is a human's instinct for survival, if we did not lie we would not survive
4. What is the truth anyway? We can just tell certain parts of it and it will still be true, but people will interperate it in a different way!

So help? Any ideas?
Truth. I hate bullsh*t.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by mdwallin
So is the truth, or personal happiness more important?

Me and my mate have been arguing about this for a really long time, and so we have decided to both write papers on it and put it in the school newspaper and have the school vote on what is more important. Thing is, I can't come up with good reasons (its not allowed to just be an opinion piece, it has to explore all directions, part of the rules)

You guys sure know how to have a good time

actually the truth is better if you think of the long term, if you lie you will have to cover it with another lie and it will become incredible huge...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Bennetts_strat
You guys sure know how to have a good time

exactly what I was thinking. Have you considered the "ignorance is bliss" argument? I can't remember if you listed it or not but it's a good one to get a hold of and make some good points with, make sure you use alot of examples though and maybe even bring Utlitarianism or Kantian ethics if you can.
Which one are you writing on a paper, why telling the truth is a good thing? Or why lying is a good thing. You have valid points there, but they are all questions, you can't just ask questions, look at those questions and find the answers to them, and that will be lots of evidence.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by AthenasGhost
Which one are you writing on a paper, why telling the truth is a good thing? Or why lying is a good thing. You have valid points there, but they are all questions, you can't just ask questions, look at those questions and find the answers to them, and that will be lots of evidence.

Actually if you write your article based on answering questions you set yourself then I find that it is a very effective method, I always do it when writing essays.
How is lying an instinct for our survival? I don't understand how if we don't lie we don't survive.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by AthenasGhost

we are discussing it. So we are writing both topics in the papers. Thankyou for your advice, I was thinking each question kind of gets it's on 'section' in the essay, where I'll answer it.

Thanks others too!
I will look at 'ignorance is bliss' but i'll have to look up those other ethics things (that i don't quite understand)
Quote by tayroar
How is lying an instinct for our survival? I don't understand how if we don't lie we don't survive.

I watched it on a documentary last night. We lie so that we can survive, if you told the truth ALL the time, how many slaps across the face will your girlfriend have given you? It has been proven that if people think they can get away with it, most people will lie. But of course there is always the factor of the 'invisible hand' who will catch you somehow, and that is why we don't tend to lie. Also because it takes a lot more brain strain to tell a lie than to tell the truth that comes more naturally.

I watched it on a documentary last night. We lie so that we can survive, if you told the truth ALL the time, how many slaps across the face will your girlfriend have given you?

Slapping on the face =/= killing. I think humans have a tendancy to lie because we like to avoid negative consequences.
i would argue that truth and personal happiness are not mutually exclusive.

also, the concept of "truth" is too general to say that it is either good or bad. i tend to believe that truth is good most of the time, and any lies you tell should be to spare feelings of others. however, someone who is eloquent enough will be able to communicate the truth in a way that will not hurt anyone's feelings.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.