So me and some friends started up a band, and we're having a lot of difficulties actually deciding on a song to learn and play (for some reason the rest of the band is against making our own songs?)

So anyways, it's me on lead guitar, and my friends play rhythm guitar, drums, and bass.

Basically, we're looking for something with simple drums and bass. Also, our rhythm guitarist is kind of limited of what he can play, but doesn't want an incredibly boring part. The problem is finding a good song with 2 guitar parts (one of the parts a bit more challenging for me.)

We'd also prefer to play classic rock songs, but could be open to other genres maybe.

Any help is appreciated.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-1 Plus
-MIM Tele
Amp:
-Vox AD50VT
Pedals:
-Dunlop Crybaby
-Boss MD-2 Mega Distortion
-Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger

Hopefully more to come.
Ac/dc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
Quote by guitarfreak786
Ac/dc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was something we were considering, but the only problem is their songs generally seem to have only 1 guitar part.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-1 Plus
-MIM Tele
Amp:
-Vox AD50VT
Pedals:
-Dunlop Crybaby

Hopefully more to come.
The Who? Won't Get Fooled Again if you can play the synth parts on one guitar or something?

And write songs for your band, playing only covers always seems a bit silly to me. The problem is most likely that the others can't be bothered to write anything.

EDIT: Thin Lizzy is also a good idea.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
fade to black from metallica
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
So your rhythm guitarist, drummer and bassist aren't that good, But you rip it, right?

I cant really think of any songs that would fit that at the moment, but try to teach your bassist and rhythm guitarist 12 bar blues, have your drummer play a simple pattern along with them, and then just improvise.

Once you got that down, you've already mastered about 95% of SRV, BB King, and Gary Moore.
GnR and Thin Lizzy sound like good ideas, I'll look into some of that.

We were looking at The Who, and Ace of Spades, but the drum parts are much too hard for our drummer, haha.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-1 Plus
-MIM Tele
Amp:
-Vox AD50VT
Pedals:
-Dunlop Crybaby

Hopefully more to come.
Well you better tell you rhythm guitarist he's the rhythm guitarist...and thats what he's supposed to do, suck it up.
No means maybe
Quote by Armanno
GnR and Thin Lizzy sound like good ideas, I'll look into some of that.

We were looking at The Who, and Ace of Spades, but the drum parts are much too hard for our drummer, haha.

The drum part doesn't need to be played exactly the same. Just have him do what he can. No one is going to be listening to just the drums, they'll be hearing the band as a whole. As long as he's just keeping time, it'll be fine.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
So your rhythm guitarist, drummer and bassist aren't that good, But you rip it, right?

I cant really think of any songs that would fit that at the moment, but try to teach your bassist and rhythm guitarist 12 bar blues, have your drummer play a simple pattern along with them, and then just improvise.

Once you got that down, you've already mastered about 95% of SRV, BB King, and Gary Moore.

We've tried improvising a few times, but our drummer's been difficult and never really wants to just do that anymore...

Quote by JakdOnCrack
The drum part doesn't need to be played exactly the same. Just have him do what he can. No one is going to be listening to just the drums, they'll be hearing the band as a whole. As long as he's just keeping time, it'll be fine.

I wish I could get him to understand that, haha.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-1 Plus
-MIM Tele
Amp:
-Vox AD50VT
Pedals:
-Dunlop Crybaby

Hopefully more to come.
Quote by Armanno
We've tried improvising a few times, but our drummer's been difficult and never really wants to just do that anymore...

Keep trying, there's no point him even being in a band if he can't improv. And if the rest of you want to do it then you should
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Try something like Clampdown, by the Clash.
Great song and (relatively) simple drums.
GNR + Thin Lizzy + AC/DC. idk if Iron Maiden is your cup of tea, but they have 3 guitar parts in lots of songs *gasp*, and some songs aren't too hard. gnr definetely though, and AC/DC have lots of songs that have 2 guitar parts. just not the mainstream ones that everybody knows (hells bells, black in black, you shook me all night long don't )
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Check out The Strokes, their rhythm parts can be pretty simple.
try like pearl jam or something. you could also try black betty by ram jam. very basic, very awesome

edit:
also tom petty might be cool too. you can improv on the guitar solo too so that you completely limited in what you can do. i also second the who

edit2:
play you really got me by the kinks and then do the VH solo. that would be epic
Last edited by seankellyultgtr at Nov 27, 2008,
Blood Brothers by Iron Maiden is an good song for starting with, it is an Rock/Metal.

Metallica songs are also good for playing (thou I don't like metallica much I still play 'em because I love playing music).
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
I might get bashed for this but depending on if your drummer can play quickly and in time you could try "That was just your life"
Re: AC/DC

Quote by Armanno
Yeah, that was something we were considering, but the only problem is their songs generally seem to have only 1 guitar part.

Huh? So what does Malcolm do, then?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ac/dc have alot of songs that have two guitar parts actually, that's why they have a rhythm and a lead guitarist:P
i have exactly the same problem. I usually jam with my best friend and trying to get him to go along with something is too much hard work. He listens to different stuff and isnt prepared to try new things like different tunings, arrangements and style. This is really annoying. I started branching out and looking for other people to play while still staying true to my good friend. This way you can experiment a little.
But as for songs to play.......ANYTHING! Dont ever set yourself limits.....if eveyone did that we wouldnt have the likes of Vai, Satch or any other great guitarist/songwriters. Just keep practicing and eventually you COULD do any song you wanted!
Play some Necrophagist and Between the Buried and Me.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.