Hey guys! Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I

I just thought it would be ok to put this video up, since coldplay's vida la vida burns my ears 30 times a day at my workplace. Radio never stops to emit that song, but I never heard any Satriani's song on that radio. So lame...
The song explains an emotion, as an end to lifelong mysteries, and the fantasy, for the fantasy is final result of reality...
Fantasy Engines
Josip Pesut
Man, the overlaid songs go really well.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Does sound suspiciously similar, but i dislike coldplay and love satriani so im going to say that its blatant plagiarism
Quote by The Rambler
Coldplay copies everyone.

I disagree.
Coldplay are one of the most original modern bands out. Listen to Viva La Vida and it's very different to their old stuff and a lot of bands new stuff.
It's a basic coincidence.
Coincidence. It's a common chord progression that has been used in hundreds of songs.
Quote by Ben Wright
I disagree.
Coldplay are one of the most original modern bands out. Listen to Viva La Vida and it's very different to their old stuff and a lot of bands new stuff.

imo i listened to viva la vida-the first single yeah??, and straight away i thought he nicked the vocal style/melody from john lennon. butsure everyones doing that these days.
www.street-dogs.com
www.randytheband.com
www.maroonhate.com
Quote by Ben Wright
I disagree.

Sorry for reviving this thread, but...
Joe Satriani sued Coldplay just today for plagiarism, Viva La Vida "coincidencially" sounds a lot like his "If I Could Fly" (from "Is There Love In Space?")

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/joe_satriani_accuses_coldplay_of_plagiarism.html

Personally, I think the songs DO sound suspiciously similar. But I doubt that Satch will win this case, it's still Coldplay... But if he does, it's only just, IMO.
I hope he doesn't win the case. I hate people that try to sue over things like this. It's not like he wrote the lyrics, it's not like his chord progression was original in the first place and it's not like someone hadn't hummed it before Satriani played it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Lets just sue every metal band for copying Black Sabbath. Or lets sue kiss for copying Alice cooper. Or Nile for copying the Egyptians. And every blues artist to use th 1-4-5 progression. Or Ywingie Malsteem for copying violinists. Or any musician for playing music.

It's probably just a coincidence.

Besides, since Satch isn't setting out to be popular or famous (since he's an instrumentalist), why would he care about Coldplay.

Anyway, I think that Satch is overrated theres better instrumentalists than him. And Coldplay is awesome, you just don't think so cause they're famous now, which kinda sucks.
ok i'm sorry....not meant to flame but some responses are just wrong in this case...i listened to satriani's song...the chords aren't the same it's chris martin's melody while singing viva la vida is the EXACT SAME THING as the solo from joe satriani's song If I Could Fly
Well i think Satriani is just being a dick but personally i think Coldplay are the most pathetic, lifeless, unartistical bore that the music industry has seen this past decade.

People like them because they are different but what's more important is, their music sucks.
Quote by bound by metal
ok i'm sorry....not meant to flame but some responses are just wrong in this case...i listened to satriani's song...the chords aren't the same it's chris martin's melody while singing viva la vida is the EXACT SAME THING as the solo from joe satriani's song If I Could Fly

I think the chord progression is roughly the same but yes, it is the melody line they're trying to sue over. If you listen to it though there are only about 10 notes that match.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
they sound very familiar but it isnt something to be suing over. personally i hate most coldplay songs and i love satriani. so i am on satch's side of this
Wow, a bad band copys a bad guitar player? No harm done.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57CgtX-BsI

yea, i think it's just a coincidence..it's not like it's the first time it has ever happened..
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Quote by Ben Wright
I disagree.

Well, they do blatantly copy quite a few bands. They've freely admitted to it in a few interviews too. Examples: "Shiver" copies "Grace" by Jeff Buckley and "Fix You" copies "Grace Under Pressure" by Elbow.

Shiver:
" In addition, Martin wrote the song while listening to music of Buckley, and had claimed it is their 'most blatant rip-off song' "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiver_(Coldplay_song)

Fix You:
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/coldplay%20we%20stole%20elbows%20sound
I cant believe some people think this is a coincidence. It is the same key, tempo, melody and chord progression! Its ridiculous!
^ The chords are Em, C, D, G. If you've never come across those chords in a song you've probably never played the guitar before. If you've never heard a pop song in your life I could forgive you for not understanding that melodies should be harmonious. As a result, there is a limited range of notes.

Quote by Acoustic#3
Well, they do blatantly copy quite a few bands. They've freely admitted to it in a few interviews too. Examples: "Shiver" copies "Grace" by Jeff Buckley and "Fix You" copies "Grace Under Pressure" by Elbow.

Shiver:
" In addition, Martin wrote the song while listening to music of Buckley, and had claimed it is their 'most blatant rip-off song' "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiver_(Coldplay_song)

Fix You:
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/coldplay%20we%20stole%20elbows%20sound

Definitely a Buckley influence to 'Shiver' but you could hardly call it a rip-off.
And is it so bad that musicians take ideas from other musicians? Hell, you hear hundreds of bands with a similar sound these days should it really be considered a crime if bands want to create something slightly more original?

Still think this is utter bollocks and Satch should throw it out.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles

Definitely a Buckley influence to 'Shiver' but you could hardly call it a rip-off.
And is it so bad that musicians take ideas from other musicians? Hell, you hear hundreds of bands with a similar sound these days should it really be considered a crime if bands want to create something slightly more original?

Still think this is utter bollocks and Satch should throw it out.

Those are not my words. Those are Chris Martin's. I have no real opinion. I realize that everybody copies everybody and I agree with you on the matter. All the old bluesmen stole from each other. The Beatles took from Little Richard. And, Led Zep... well we all know that one.

My only regret with things like these is that I do wish I had heard Grace before Shiver.
Quote by Ben Wright
I disagree.

I know whos ass Im kicking
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by Acoustic#3
My only regret with things like these is that I do wish I had heard Grace before Shiver.

At least you were led to it at some point!
'Shiver' is probably Coldplay's best song at least, love the guitar lines in it.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
At least you were led to it at some point!
'Shiver' is probably Coldplay's best song at least, love the guitar lines in it.

Agreed. It's my favorite song by them by far!

Coldplay has responded to Satriani:

"With the greatest possible respect to Joe Satriani, we have now unfortunately found it necessary to respond publicly to his allegations. If there are any similarities between our two pieces of music, they are entirely coincidental, and just as surprising to us as to him. Joe Satriani is a great musician, but he did not write the song Viva La Vida. We respectfully ask him to accept our assurances of this, and wish him well with all future endeavors. Coldplay."

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=242&page=0
are you kidding me? I think satriana is just getting all riled up over this matter. If he just sat down and thought about it maybe he would realize that his song uses a very common chord progression. Also, people tend to follow the same melody progression once you pick the same starting couple of notes (I am sure you guys have "predicted" what comes next in a melody when you hear new song). Not all the time, but if a thousand people make a melody over the same progression it is bound to happen.

Now if some band came up with a melody similar to an ultra progressive band like Between the Buried and Me or Dream Theatre, then that has validity...
Quote by s7706
I cant believe some people think this is a coincidence. It is the same key, tempo, melody and chord progression! Its ridiculous!

No it isn't. The video on youtube has been altered to help prove the point. Read the description.

I agree with every word that comes out of andrewbiles' mouth. Or fingers, as the case may be.
There is poetry in despair.