Some may remember that I posted a similar thread a while back about a home-built computer that I was attempting to acquire because the one I have now is obsolete by a long shot.

However, my budget fell through, and I had to make emergency repairs to my home, instead.

Anyways, I thought I might as well get myself a Christmas present, and take advantage of holiday pricing, too.

I was on Dell when I found these two computers. They look alike, but they're under different names. The first one shown is the Studio, and the second is the XPS 430.

I equipped them with what I found to be adequate for a small gaming rig that I could also do work on, and found some interesting results.

1: The Studio, albeit having some things that appear better (i7, Tri-port memory), is only $1600, whilst the XPS 430 is $1800.

2: Well, it's basically all in the first one.

So, Pit, I ask you: Which one would be a smarter purchase? The games I am interested in are games such as Crysis, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Left 4 Dead, ect.

I would also like this computer to be somewhat future-proof, at least for 2009 games.

I have read excellent reviews of the i7 over the Quad-core, and the price seems to point towards the Studio, but what do you think?

Also, please do not flame against Dell, or proclaim that Dell sucks. They run a reliable business, and I am pleased to have purchased some of their products in the past.

Thanks.

The Studio
($1600)

[B]PROCESSORS[/B]	Intel® Core™i7-920 Processor(8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz)	
[B]OPERATING SYSTEM[/B]	Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit	
[B]MEMORY[/B]	6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs	
[B]HARD DRIVE[/B]	750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache	
[B]OPTICAL DRIVE[/B]	Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capability	
[B]MONITORS[/B]	Dell 24 inch Consumer™ S2409W Flat Panel, Adjustable Stand	
[B]VIDEO CARD[/B]	512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850	
[B]SOUND CARD[/B]	Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio	

XPS 430($1800)

XPS 430:
	Intel® Core™2 Q9550 Quad-Core (12MB L2 cache,2.83GHz,1333FSB)	
[B]Operating System[/B]
	Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/Digital Cable Support, 64-bit	

[B]Memory[/B]
	6GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz - 4 DIMMs	
[B]Hard Drive[/B]
	750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache	
[B]Optical Drive[/B]
	Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capability	
[B]Monitors[/B]
	24 inch E248WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel	
[B]Video Cards[/B]
	ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
[B]Sound Cards[/B]
	Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Firstly I'd recommend heading over to the computer thread and secondly, I would not buy a Dell after my experiences with them, but in fact I wouldn't buy any premade computer, I'd personally go custom as it's well worth knowing exactly what is in the computer and having full control over it.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Honestly you could get the same setup at less than half the cost if you buy everything and set it up yourself. It saves money and is a good learning experience.
Buy the parts, build it, save a $800 and enjoy it... It's really easy too.
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
Quote by JordanRRR
Honestly you could get the same setup at less than half the cost if you buy everything and set it up yourself. It saves money and is a good learning experience.

I built my first 2 computers that way. I just have no time to do it this time.

Which setup would you recommend, regardless of manufacturer?

Say I could build the Studio for 600 and the 430 for 800?
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Quote by JordanRRR

Exactly. Iv done it a few times and as long as you follow the instruction manuals that come with the chips, and have another computer handy thats connected to the net anyone can do it. Its cheaper, you learn alot and its very satisfying. Also, you can pull the "Iv got a custom gaming rig, so there" to all ur mates
Screw Ignorance... Indifference is bliss.
Quote by farquarl
Exactly. Iv done it a few times and as long as you follow the instruction manuals that come with the chips, and have another computer handy thats connected to the net anyone can do it. Its cheaper, you learn alot and its very satisfying. Also, you can pull the "Iv got a custom gaming rig, so there" to all ur mates

I am aware of said fact.

But given these two choices and a relative $200 price difference, which would you consider to be the best?
i think the difference is in the processorrs only...ggo for the xps its quad...
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Wait, am I right in seeing that both come with 6gb of RAM?! (it's late, I am sleep deprived...).

If so then **** that's awesome. Note that my 2.4GHz C2D Macbook Pro with 2GB of RAM runs Oblivion comfortably.
I am....making progress...
Quote by Tsuchiya
Wait, am I right in seeing that both come with 6gb of RAM?! (it's late, I am sleep deprived...).

If so then **** that's awesome. Note that my 2.4GHz C2D Macbook Pro with 2GB of RAM runs Oblivion comfortably.

The computer I'm running now can run Oblivion perfectly, I'm just showing a taste in relatively high-demand games with rather high graphical costs. I want to be able to play such games on this PC.

Yes, both have 6 Gigs DDR3, but the Studio is Tri-port.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
i think the difference is in the processorrs only...ggo for the xps its quad...

I've heard some good things about the i7...which would you recommend for gaming and Office applications?