Well, I searched it both in google and UG, and found nothing.

Has anyone else here tried putting their slide on the upper arm of their capo, and clamping that to their guitar?

I had the idea the other night, and I've tried it out, and I have noticed a few things:

-Tone slightly brighter
-strings go out of tune (well, my brother says my acoustic goes out of tune all the time, yet I've never noticed, but this was significant)
-Only seems to be good for livening open chord songs.

I just wanted to share this idea in case anyone else tried it and it's nothing new, or if there are more advantages that I'm missing. Idea failed so far....
I'm not sure. I was just playing it, trying a few open chord songs I'm coming up with and the B and high E string kept going out of whack with each other. Probably more of an issue with the guitar itself, not the capo + slide combo.

I'll try to get pics of what it looks like, if I can find any batteries that are charged...
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Nov 27, 2008,
Holy **** that sounds so much better. Almost broke my capo, but it sounds clearer than an uncapoed guitar for me.

Learn something new every day.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well it pushes the slide down on the frets, so it doesnt sound very slide like

but maybe if the spring on the capo wasnt built as strong it would have a better sound
just an idea
I think you're right, it is your guitar, because mine stayed relatively in tune. I think it sound slightly different, but nothing to get worked up about, but then again that might just be my guitar. Who knows, anyway, cool idea!
I dunno, .....just can't picture what you're doin......got a pic of what you're trying (or a video of what you're trying, on YouTube)???
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
since my computer is having a fit getting the pics I took on my camera, I'll try to describe it again:

Take your capo and find the upper limb/ arm (the part that touches the strings) and fit you slide onto that area, through where you would normally put your finger in.

It's supposed to act as if the slide is part of the capo, like this:

that's my crude 30-second rendering of my idea
"Thanks" for taking the time to help me (and others) visualize what you're doing. It's a novel idea, but I guess I don't see the purpose. If you want to "brighten" the sound, I would think a change to a different ("new" as well) set of strings that were recommended for their "bright" sound, might do the trick just as well.

Based on your design, I would think there would be an increase in the ability of the string to float or wander, and buzz.........
"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"

Epiphone EJ200
Epiphone AJ500ME
Epiphone Hummingbird
Washburn J28SDL
Guild GAD25NAT
Quote by JDizzle787
since my computer is having a fit getting the pics I took on my camera, I'll try to describe it again:

Take your capo and find the upper limb/ arm (the part that touches the strings) and fit you slide onto that area, through where you would normally put your finger in.

It's supposed to act as if the slide is part of the capo, like this:

that's my crude 30-second rendering of my idea

NICE PIC, hahaha.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
What if you have two capos and put one on each capo arm? Then you would get a movable capo Can't try, though, since I don't have any bottlenecks.
holy crap why would you post this here!!!
go patent it already and make uber-amounts of money ; )
Quote by Cerasti
What if you have two capos and put one on each capo arm? Then you would get a movable capo Can't try, though, since I don't have any bottlenecks.

Hmm.. The idea is good, but practically speaking, the capo would probably just slide off.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Couple of things. The reason the capo uses a rubber or plastic portion to press the strings down is to compensate for the fact that the strings are of different diameter. If you use a hard object, like a slide, you might run into the situation where the bass strings are clamped firmly but the treble strings are not, causing rattle or buzz.
Also.... Once clamped, the sound is produced by the string vibrating between the fret and the saddle. What is holding the string to the fretboard should have no effect on sound.

Except in one way.... If it's too tight, it will slightly sharpen the string. This might well be the cause of the slight increase in "brightness" you notice.