Hello all. I am looking at buying a new amp pretty soon and was looking at the Roland Cube 30 watt. I play the following

~AC/DC
~Guns N' Roses
~Metallica
~Pantera

Those are to just give you an idea of the tones i am looking to achieve. I dont play with a drummer yet, so im not sure i need a really loud amp. What do you think of the Roland Cube series?
i got 1. great clean tone but for pantera and stuff you would need a distortion pedel to get the right tone. i got this and a metal zone and its gives a fantastic tone for these bands
Cubes are nice... until you've tried Valvetronix!
Vox Valvetronix should do all those except for maybe Pantera.
The reason I say maybe is because less gain is used on recorded music than you think...

Amp Settings:
AC/DC - UK 70's
Guns N' Roses - UK 25th/US Higain
Metallica - Numetal/US Higain
Pantera - Probably Numetal/UK Modern

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Nov 27, 2008,
I think the Roland Cube will have enough gain to play most of those bands music. The rectifier model sounds pretty good. I Think you might want to check out the line 6 amps in the same price range. I would not reccomend a solid state vox valvetronix amp though
Ibanez GAX w/Duncan's and Sperzels
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
Hmm. I already got a pedal (Zoom GFX-5) Maybe if i play my pantera through that I'll call and see if my local guitar dealer has that vox your talking about though.
I have not tried all of them, only the Roland Cube 30. I think the general consensus when choosing between the Peavey Vypyr and Roland Cube and Vox Valvetronix is to try them out and then decide which one you would like and which one is suited to you. All 3 of these amps are in the same price region and they're all modelling amps and they're pretty good for their price.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Yeh, the Cube 30-X's are very good. I played one for almost a year and was very happy with it. You should also look at the Vox Valvetronix and Peavey Vypyrs. I would play all three of those in the same day if you can and then decide. I think the Vypyrs and the Valvetronix have more models than the Cubes but it all depends on what sounds best to you. Those are pretty common amps so it should be easy to find a store that has them.

Play all three of them and then pick the one that sounds the best to you
haha i like this. i got like 3 or 4 of the same answers. The Peavey the Vox and the Roland. Ill see if i can try them all.
Quote by ¤TabMaster¤
Yeah, i was told in another thread i made to stay clear from the Line 6 Spider series.

the line 6 series isn't good on clean settings, i personally think it has the best rectifier modeling compared to other solid state amps. Although i would try the peavy vyper as well although i have never tried the amp, i hear good things. I really dislike the valvetronix series though, im suprised you have not gotten more suggestions to stay away from them. I dont think vox makes bad amps either, im just not a fan of valvetronix. Its really up to you though, i would go to the store and try a few of the amps everyones suggesting, whats most important is that you like the sound of the amp.
Ibanez GAX w/Duncan's and Sperzels
Bugera 333 Head
4x12 Fane/Celestion Cab
Quote by blacklabel22333
the line 6 series isn't good on clean settings, i personally think it has the best rectifier modeling compared to other solid state amps. Although i would try the peavy vyper as well although i have never tried the amp, i hear good things. I really dislike the valvetronix series though, im suprised you have not gotten more suggestions to stay away from them. I dont think vox makes bad amps either, im just not a fan of valvetronix. Its really up to you though, i would go to the store and try a few of the amps everyones suggesting, whats most important is that you like the sound of the amp.

People don't tell people to stay away from the valvetronix because they are generally reliable and all around good practice amps.

People tell people to stay away from spiders because they sound horrid (to most) have computers that love to go bad and sound awful at higher volumes.

And before you ask, yes, I've played these amps and I know what I'm talking about.

TS: Hate to be a parrot, but give the vypyr, the cube, and the valvetronix some playing time and see which you prefer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have a Cube 30, but I wish that I'd bought a Vox Valvetronix instead. I also have a MicroCube and I ended up practing with it much more than with the Cube 30. Eventually, I took my Cube 30 into work, where it play it may 30-60 minutes per week max.

The MicroCube is so much more convenient and luggable as a practice amp.

I think Roland makes great amp (I also have a Cube 30 bass amp which is awesome and a CM-30 monitor), but I think the Vox Valvetronix sounds so much better than the Cube 30.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
For the Cube, the Acoustic Sim is great, for distortion try the Rectifier model.
On the Vypyr, try the XXX and 5150 models for distortion.
Don't know much about the Vox though, sorry.