Hey guys,
I have an audition for the Berklee College of music in a month and need an opinion on what to play. They say I should pick a song that will show my abilities. What came to mind was Steve Vai's tender surrender. But I am a little uncertain if I should play this and I am looking for help. Got any suggestions?

*EDIT*
Hey guys,
I have an audition for the Berklee College of music in a month and need an opinion on what to play. They say I should pick a song that will show my abilities. What came to mind was Steve Vai's tender surrender. But I am a little uncertain if I should play this. I would like to consider some other pieces. Got any suggestions?
Last edited by MrScary78 at Nov 27, 2008,
well if you really want to get on to what berklee is about, then go for a jazz standard but something like vai would be good enough i guess. Remember they are heavily focused on Jazz and will expect alot of theory from you, if your going for a reasonably high course.
They let anyone in man so don't worry too much about it.
Traben Array Custom 5-String
Acoustic 170 Combo
Line 6 Bass Pod

I want tot go to Berklee when I hit 18. I'm so excited even though I'm a year and a half away from 18.

Tender Surrender is a great song to show ability, but you must play it as dynamic, or as close to as dynamic as Steve Vai plays it.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by Perk-a-nation
They let anyone in man so don't worry too much about it.

You're misinformed.

TS, you can play whatever you want to the best of your ability and style. Work on sightreading and reading jazz lead sheets as well because you will be tested on those. Also strengthen your ears to hear intervals and chord qualities.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You should ask Eric Johnson.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Don't play a jazz standard if you have never played jazz before. You can't fake playing jazz, and they will know if you are trying to.
12 fret fury
You can fake playing bass though. All you do is move around the fretboard remembering to use stepwise motion and wide intervals.
Corona Corona
Quote by demoniacfashion
You can fake playing bass though. All you do is move around the fretboard remembering to use stepwise motion and wide intervals.

Fake playing bass? What the hell?

You mean playing walking bass lines on guitar? Because that's not "all you do".

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Fake playing bass? What the hell?

You mean playing walking bass lines on guitar? Because that's not "all you do".

No, on bass. You seem a little defensive, my friend.
Corona Corona
Quote by demoniacfashion
No, on bass. You seem a little defensive, my friend.

If you're talking about playing walking bass line, moving in stepwise motions and large intervals is not all you do.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by demoniacfashion

I'm sorry, but this is pretty ignorant. Any bass player who takes it seriously could pick out a guitarist playing bass.
I'm doing a version of Satin Doll by Duke Ellington in about 4 weeks for my audition. Do whatever you think will highlight you playing. If you dont have a lot of improv in your piece they'll probably give you a short jazz or blues progression to jam over so be prepared to do that. Best of luck brother