I have a 1982/83 American Fender Bullet deluxe with the original standard 3 single pickups, recently it seems it is not so loud and have to have the amp slightly higher, is this a sign that the pickups are wearing out or could it be something else, like the internal wiring of the guitar getting old, what would people say the most likely would be.

Also is it the pickups that give guitars its distinctive sound as i would hate to have to change the pickups and i lose the lovely sound my bullet gives me.
If they were wearing out, then... well, that guitar, it'd be quite a bit older! Oh by the way azrael, they do wear out, the magnets degauss and there goes the output, but that takes 50-60 years usually. It's probably A.) old strings, B.) a corroded solder joint (most likely - don't worry, it's an easy fix.) or C.) a lowered pickup.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
If they were wearing out, then... well, that guitar, it'd be quite a bit older! Oh by the way azrael, they do wear out, the magnets degauss and there goes the output, but that takes 50-60 years usually. It's probably A.) old strings, B.) a corroded solder joint (most likely - don't worry, it's an easy fix.) or C.) a lowered pickup.

I know, that was my point. After all, PAF pickups from the 60's are still going strong.
Quote by oneblackened

The strings are new, i did try it with a different lead and t seemed a bit louder, the lead that makes it a bit quiter is actually a fender lead and the other is a cheapo lead. i have raised the bridge pickup as thats the one i tend to use mostly and its made it louder but then its raised more than what it ever was, maybe its a corroded solder joint, where is that most likely to be? on the pickups, vol/tone pots or selector switch?