I really don't know how to actually learn scales and chords in the right way?

For chords do you learn all the variations, notes of the scale, or just the shape of it?

For scales do you learn just the shapes, notes, or whatever?

Please help!
scales are the easyest I belive. I just learn how they work and just work on the pattern on the guitar neck. I dont know the notes of like an A# Minor scale, i just know the pattern. With chords I just know the pattern too and just how to play em.

You shouldnt really work with memorizing them unless you are working with music theory and trying to make your own stuff. because if you arent doing music theory, then just get a fretboard chart.

all I do when practicing them is by interepereting the intervals and just memorize how they look going up the neck and thru the strings. Just do a lot of repetition practice. just scale a lot and do a lot of chord changing whilst naming out the chord that your playing (if its like major, minor, augmented, diminished, maj7, min/maj7, dominant7...)
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Scales ARE notes - if you don't know the notes then you haven't really learned a scale.

Chords are the same really, in that they're made of notes. However the difference is that a chord shape is fixed...the shape is what you actually play, exactly as it appears. That means you can easily get by learning chords simply by memorising the shapes, however it's far more productive and also easier if you know how to construct chords.

A scale "shape" isn't something you play, it's just a diagram showing you one place where the notes of the scale happen to appear. It's up to you to create something from that scale and decide what to do with those notes, and with that in mind it helps immensely to actually know what those notes are and how they work within the scale.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Scales ARE notes - if you don't know the notes then you haven't really learned a scale.

Chords are the same really, in that they're made of notes. However the difference is that a chord shape is fixed...the shape is what you actually play, exactly as it appears. That means you can easily get by learning chords simply by memorising the shapes, however it's far more productive and also easier if you know how to construct chords.

A scale "shape" isn't something you play, it's just a diagram showing you one place where the notes of the scale happen to appear. It's up to you to create something from that scale and decide what to do with those notes, and with that in mind it helps immensely to actually know what those notes are and how they work within the scale.

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the Columns section.

Correct!

Have a cookie .

If you learn the theory behind scales and know the notes in the major scale then you can quickly and easily work out what you need to do to adapt it into another scale.

An example is if you lower the 3rd, 6th and 7th notes in the major scale it becomes the natural minor scale.

Even if you don't learn all the notes make sure to recognize the root note in each scale. This is invaluable when it comes to improvisation and soloing.
I memorize scales in position first (the 5 box shapes), and then linearly (on individual strings). Then I work on moving diagonally across the fretboard. If you just memorize the positions, you're limiting yourself because you'll only be able to think in position when improvising. Knowing exactly where the notes are no matter what direction you're moving in will allow you to more creative. Eventually, you won't want to have to think about patterns or positions because they'll just hinder your playing.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed