yes it would, but what styles do you play... if you play blues-classic rock, then it would be good, but if you play heavier stuff, such as hardcore or metal, you'd need a distortion or overdrive pedal, but I'd suggest getting another amp for heavier styles.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
no vs threads.
and yes, it would be a good upgrade, but I'm sure you already knew the answer to that.
Id like to play both, but metal tone is very important

What other amps would u suggest in the same price range

EDIT
since when were there no vs threads allowed??
      most definitely an upgrade
      Gear:
      2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
      ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
      Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
      Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
      if metal tone is very important then I'd suggest a B-52 AT112, peavey valveking, and...I guess...a....bugera.....if you don't mind getting it fixed often, I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon, I've actually had mine break down after a day, then returned it.
      Gear:
      Fender Highway One HSS Strat
      Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
      Line6 UX2
      No amp ... Help me find an amp
      I love my V18. Its a little dark sounding, not as bright as I want, but I run an EQ pedal to fix that problem. It can get a Metallica-Megadeth 80's metal distortion with a boost pedal, but thats as heavy as you'll get without a distortion pedal.
      ^plus 1.

For the money its not a bad deal, especially after you buy a speaker replacement and tubes.

Its still cheaper than a valveking with all the mods and all, and stock a valveking aint much better with the mods and all it would be alot better than a valveking for cheaper.
      Its definitely an upgrade, but like everybody said above, if you want to play metal you're going to need a distortion and/or EQ pedal. Other than that, I love my V18.
      Quote by tona_107
      no vs threads.
      and yes, it would be a good upgrade, but I'm sure you already knew the answer to that.

It's not actually a vs thread, he's asking if it would be a good idea and if the V18 would be an upgrade.
      Quote by Vincent Vega
      Haikus are awesome
      but sometimes they don't make sense
      Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
      People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
      Quote by THEKID546

Its still cheaper than a valveking with all the mods and all, and stock a valveking aint much better with the mods and all it would be alot better than a valveking for cheaper.

Huh? I went cross-eyed trying to read your post.

It would be an upgrade, the V18 is a good amp for the price.
      I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
      Quote by mrxtreme_4
      if metal tone is very important then I'd suggest a B-52 AT112, peavey valveking, and...I guess...a....bugera.....if you don't mind getting it fixed often, I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon, I've actually had mine break down after a day, then returned it.

Yeah, this is what I'd do. I'd consider a Randall RG50TC.
      Current Gear:
      LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
      PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
      Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
      Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
      Audient iD22 interface
      Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
      Adam S3A monitors
      Quote by Anonden
      You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
      are you guys thinking? the crate V is 200 bucks, and all the amps you've been suggesting are more like 500 bucks. i say get the crate. people say it cant do metal on its own, but i tried it once and it handled fine. i had to turn up the gain to 7 or 8 to get the metal sounds, but it was good.
      periphery/bulb!

gear:
      Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
      Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
      Quote by gregs1020
      Huh? I went cross-eyed trying to read your post.

It would be an upgrade, the V18 is a good amp for the price.

Yah sorry about that.

I read over it again and tought it looked really stupid.

What i meant to say is that both amps stock are no better than each other, just down to personal preference.

The only thing that makes the crate better is the price.

The V50's are utter crap, to BUZZY.

Dont get those.

A crate V18 or V33, after tube swap and speaker replacement still comes out cheaper than a valveking so you decide what you want to get.
      Quote by sidoody
      Id like to play both, but metal tone is very important

What other amps would u suggest in the same price range

EDIT
      since when were there no vs threads allowed??

i dont think the v18 is renowned for metal

also: "no vs threads" means "GIbZon vs Fend3R which r bettar?!?!11!1!1" isnt allowed

if you cant choose between 2 amps youre allowed to make a sensible thread
      Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
      no its not but it can do it with an OD, especially wince its really dark voiced with the British tubes, it sounds really sick with an OD in front of it, especially a really good one like the CM-2.

^and dude stop being a 70 year old man.
      Quote by THEKID546
      no its not but it can do it with an OD, especially wince its really dark voiced with the British tubes, it sounds really sick with an OD in front of it, especially a really good one like the CM-2.

^and dude stop being a 70 year old man.

the hell?

just clearing up the differences in vs threads
      Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
      Quote by THEKID546

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
      Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
      _ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
      That is pretty funny. Exo = *insert religious figure here*.
      I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.