When i bought my latest amp, I was warned that running an overdrive/distortion pedal into the preamp could damage the amp, or at the very least burn out the tubes faster. I haven't heard this anywhere else before, but the guy seemed knowledgeable. is there any truth to that statement?
The only way a pedal can damage an amp is if you throw it at it...hard...fool.

(This only applies if you use a pedal correctly. If you throw it between a head and a cab, well...)
I'm sure if you have several pedals set at maximum volume, it will surely do something bad to your amp.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I'm sure if you have several pedals set at maximum volume, it will surely do something bad to your amp.

Exactly what I was thinking. What if you send a massive signal into the preamp tubes?

Anyway, this person was a professional musician, albeit only a vocalist, not a guitar tech or anything. In the first month of playing around with guitar gear I learned not to listen to Guitar Center types when it comes to technical matters.
Guitar advice from a vocalist? I imagine the only thing worse would be advice from a drummer. Any kind of advice.

(all in good fun)
::Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
::Fender MIM HSS Strat w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb and killbutton
::Digitech Whammy, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX MicroSynth, Kaoss Pad 3,
Boss GE-7, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Digidelay, MXR EVH Phase 90, FoxxTone FuzzWahVolume
If you use an OD 100% of the time, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they blew 20% earlier or so...

but 80% of an eon, is what? An age or something? lol
Quote by HibyPrime

but 80% of an eon, is what? An age or something? lol

Pretty sure its an Era, but an Age could apply too I suppose.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
I wouldn't be concerned, turning the amp on is probably doing a lot more damage.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not