I have a Dell Dimension 4600 from 2001.
-256mb RAM (looking at DDR 400mhz 3200 184-pin) (current is DDR 333mhz 2700 184-pin) (also, no DDR2 my computer isn't compatible with it )
-80gb hard drive
-Intel P4 2.66ghz
-this motherboard

I was thinking of upgrading the RAM, and maybe the processor to the 3.2ghz version of the P4 (if there is another/better processor compatible with this motherboard, please tell me!).

The RAM upgrade would be from 256mb to 2gb, maybe 3-4gb if it would be that much better. I question, though, that if this RAM upgrade would actually do any good.

I'm considering an external hard drive, maybe 500gb. Would it be easier than replacing the internal? The reason for external is because I'm getting a laptop after I graduate in May, and I could use it with it for recordings and other things.

Any suggestions?

TL; DR

Upgrade RAM from 256mb to 2gb be good? Would 4gb be worth it?
Would a processor upgrade from 2.66ghz to 3.2ghz be worth it?
External or internal hard drive (for this computer), if I'm buying a laptop in June?

*I don't want to buy a new computer, just upgrade this one to run a bit better
Last edited by dudey5691 at Nov 27, 2008,
You could upgrade the processor and ram for probably 50 dollars.

Most external hard drives are just a case and adapter with an actual hard drive on the inside. So if you buy an external hard drive you could always open it up and take the hard drive and put it in your computer.
Quote by Freddedonna
Throw it and get a new one.

And I'm being honest.

Not looking for a new one
Looking to get this one running a bit better.

Quote by CaptainRon
You could upgrade the processor and ram for probably 50 dollars. Most external hard drives are just a case and adapter with an actual hard drive on the inside. So if you buy an external hard drive you could always open it up and take the hard drive and put it in your computer.

$50? The cost of what I found was $50 for the processor alone, then another $40 for the RAM.
Thanks, I did not know that about external hard drive
I doubt the ones I'm looking at are that kind though...
forbidden thread.
go to the ONLY Computer Thread.

*reported*

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.