Hi Haven't been on here in quite some time, cars took over my life for a while. I was about to sell my Schecter, but realised that I love the guitar and it needs some TLC.
First up is a pickup change - the guitar is basswood with twin HB's. In the neck, I want something that will do awesome cleans (The Butterfly Effect is a perfect example of the clean tone I want) with a decent amount of articulation, but can also get nice "creamy"/warm distortion through an overdriven tube amp (more of a vintage British tone than anything). Think of earlier Santana.

In the bridge, I want something that can go reasonably heavy without turning to mush and isn't too bright. Best I can describe it is a combination of Parkway Drive and newer Metallica.

Next up is my amp - I sold what I had, so now I'm looking for a 10-30w tube combo. I was waiting for the Peavey Windsor Studio to come out in AUS, but it still hasn't been released from what I can find. Anybody know of an ETA? Apart from that, what else do you think would suit me?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Nov 27, 2008,
I can't be bothered to sort through that, care to add some paragraphs?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
No idea, what about a Classic 30?

I really like the DiMarzio PAF Joe pickup, I have it as my neck pup. The Steve's Special is pretty sweet too, but I may want to replace it in the future...

I don't have much experience with a lot of different pickups, I'm just saying that those sound nice to me.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Kevin Saale
I can't be bothered to sort through that, care to add some paragraphs?

And yet you can be bothered to reply? I added a line spacing between the paragraphs THAT WERE ALREADY THERE, just in case all the words hurt your little head.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Just trying to help you out, only one person has responded for a reason.

Also, being a dick isn't gonna help either.

Screw the pups for now, what's your total budget?

BTW Santana did most of his early stuff with a Mark I if I'm not mistaken, a very american sounding amp if there ever was one.
Quote by Kevin Saale

BTW Santana did most of his early stuff with a Mark I if I'm not mistaken, a very american sounding amp if there ever was one.

I wasn't being a dick, just couldn't see the logic in your post. Budget doesn't matter for pickups, for the amp I'd rather it be under $1000AUD.
Maybe British is the wrong term for it although it was the first thing to come to my mind; I'm going through my entire music collection trying to find the perfect example of what I want.
Quote by Kevin Saale

his early stuff was marshall. he didnt switch to mesa (mostly because mesa didnt really exist yet) until the 70s. if you watch santana at woodstock, he used a marshall. i think also used fender twins for cleans.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^How early are we talking here? The 70s are pretty early to me.

How much is that USD?

Youtube vids of the tone(s) your after would be great as well.

Also, I said screw the pups for now, because you need to get used to your amp first before you decide what you need to do (if anything) with the pups.

As far as tone goes, the player > the amp > everything else.
Ok.
Cleans
Neck Overdriven (maybe a touch more compression needed)
Bridge Distortion #1
Bridge Distortion #2
I know the two bridge clips have vastly different tones, but a pickup that could do those two would be excellent.

I'm going for a fairly minimalistic rig - guitar > one or two pedals > amp. I want less of better quality gear than more of stuff I'll end up selling in two weeks, if you get what I mean.
You probably can't get a hold of anything Mesa down there can you? I think a used mark or even a dc or f series mesa would suit you very well.

Other than that, a classic 30 might suit you, maybe the b-52 at112, give them a try at least. Also, I'm not sure on the conversion, so those amps might not even be in your price range.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You probably can't get a hold of anything Mesa down there can you? I think a used mark or even a dc or f series mesa would suit you very well.

Other than that, a classic 30 might suit you, maybe the b-52 at112, give them a try at least. Also, I'm not sure on the conversion, so those amps might not even be in your price range.

Can, but nowhere near my price range. All Mesa stuff is basically $2k+. Had a look at the B-52's the other day, not sure if it's overkill for what I need.
Anybody know about the Windsor Studio? It seems to fit my needs, but I can't find one in Australia >.<
I've heard nothing but bad things, not to mention they have zero cleans, if you can try one do, but I definitely wouldn't order one blind.

The tones you're looking for come from high gain heads and those head are usually 50 or 100 watts.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I've heard nothing but bad things, not to mention they have zero cleans, if you can try one do, but I definitely wouldn't order one blind.

The tones you're looking for come from high gain heads and those head are usually 50 or 100 watts.

Way too big for what I need. Most of my distortion is coming from pedals, I just mainly want something tube for warming up my cleans plus the overdriven neck.
Ok, cut out amps that are super high gain. Let's say a medium gain and good cleans, and must take to effects well.