Page 1 of 2
I am getting pissed of at people saying that bands sell out by sounding more mainstream. I mean, if you truly like the band, you will like all their music.

The excuse of "becoming mainstream" is retarted. I mean, all that it means is that is it a great song that everyone, including people who wouldn't have like the band, likes.

Selling out, bull****. it is an evolution. Don't label it as mainstream.
If a band changes themselves just to be popular, **** 'em.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by SpelChek
Sometimes you can't deny it. Take a look at In Flames.

In Flames is awesome. Old and new.

Selling out - Becomming mainstream for attention
Spreading/changing style, on the other hand, is totally normal for musicians.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
There's a difference between making music for the art and making music for the paycheck.

But just because a song is popular doesn't mean it was solely for the money, I think people are using it as an excuse to seem superior because they no longer enjoy a band that everyone else does.

"Sorry, I don't listen to that mainstream crap anymore. I knew them when they were nothing. They used to be cool. Not anymore."

Now that is bullshit. But there are situations obviously where a band tweaks their sound for commercial appeal. It's been done.

Older bands do it all the time to gain popularity with a new generation.
theres a difference between changing cuz u think it is the best choice musicaly , and changing so that u will get 1 000 000 more album sales

Music=good
Money=bad

and u guys thought math was hard
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Quote by MedicreDemon
If a band changes themselves just to be popular, **** 'em.

Well obviously they are doing something right if they become popular, and they like the music. Just because a band changes to become popular doesn't mean they aren't true to what they are changing to. You have to understand that music is a business too, records, labels do it to make money, they need bands to sign, they take a band they like and mold it into an image they see. I really don't believe in selling out, unless you sign to something like Disney to sing to girls 13 years of age. Theres nothing wrong with making popular music and simple but catchy music, you just have to be into it and lots of people leave bands because they arent into it and lots stay in the bands because they are into it. Who cares if they are popular anyways? If you like the music they change into then good for you, it's not about them changing or not, it's about the music they write. if you aren't in the music they could care less, they don't need you; they write popular music and have more fans than you'll ever imagine.

Another thing is, honestly I think bands could care less about how their fans change, as long as you have people supporting the music you play, then that's all the motivation they need. they don't get to know each fan individually, which is why it doesn't matter to them if their fanbase changes because their musical style changed. people change, and music changes, and people sign to record companies, it's as simple as that, just because they have a producer helping them out does NOT mean they aren't talented and it stops becoming an art.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Nov 27, 2008,
I think what pisses people off more is when the band abondons (sp?) its fans and their old style of music, just so they can play a style that will sell more copies. It's called sticking to your roots. If you take a look at bands that have remained popular over the years, you'll see that they usually haven't changed their ways much, if at all.
I always thought selling out just meant changing your image/sound when you don't want to so you can make more money...
Feel free to add me on STEAM: thesystemhasfailed
XBL tag: cbiggs18
Quote by Superperfex
I am getting pissed of at people saying that bands sell out by sounding more mainstream. I mean, if you truly like the band, you will like all their music.

The excuse of "becoming mainstream" is retarted. I mean, all that it means is that is it a great song that everyone, including people who wouldn't have like the band, likes.

Not really. I love UnderOATH, but I can't stand anything with Spencer in it. I don't have to like all of the band's material to be a fan.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
You guys misinterpreted me.

I mean when a band naturally starts maturing and makes songs that are more popular than previous material.
Elitists care.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Superperfex

Yep. I honestly don't give a shit. As long as i like the music i couldnt care less how popular they are.
Changing your music a bit is fine but when you completley change just to be popular thats when your labeled as a sell out. You can be popular and still stay true to your roots you just have to try harder and not take the easy way out.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Superperfex
You guys misinterpreted me.

I mean when a band naturally starts maturing and makes songs that are more popular than previous material.

Well, of course.

People who dislike a band just because they're getting more exposure are stupid and elitist.
Quote by shut_up_n00b
Not really. I love UnderOATH, but I can't stand anything with Spencer in it. I don't have to like all of the band's material to be a fan.

Well in cases where a band changes members, yeah. That is a huge change. Look at Guns and Roses. Big change when Izzy and Slash left. All the material that Izzy wrote went bye bye.
Quote by Superperfex
Well in cases where a band changes members, yeah. That is a huge change. Look at Guns and Roses. Big change when Izzy and Slash left. All the material that Izzy wrote went bye bye.

Actually Dont Cry was written by slash and izzy in the late 80's while they were still working on AFD

EDIT: Back off bitch was originally written by Hollywood Rose but im not sure if izzy was in the band when it was written
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
imagine that? a musician actually wanting to get rich and famous?!

holy **** thats impossible!!!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by fridge_raider
Why do Americans spell it 'retarted'?

That's retarded.

Because even Americans have typos.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
IF they try to become more mainstream and the music kicks ass still, why would you not listen to it? just because it sounds more mainstream isn't a reason to listen to a band. On most CD reviews on here, all i see is people whining about how a band used to be good, and how people wished they would go back to the old stuff. And i ain't jsut talking about metallica.
::type i'm here to stir the $h!t

Quote by Polarisfan_12
IF they try to become more mainstream and the music kicks ass still, why would you not listen to it? just because it sounds more mainstream isn't a reason to listen to a band. On most CD reviews on here, all i see is people whining about how a band used to be good, and how people wished they would go back to the old stuff. And i ain't jsut talking about metallica.

That is what sparked me to do that. I hate when people say "They are selling out: and things like that. Music is a constant revolution and is always changing.

Oh and by the way, musicians make money off their music. They live off their songs. Wouldn't they want to be making better songs that more people would like?
Quote by Superperfex
That is what sparked me to do that. I hate when people say "They are selling out: and things like that. Music is a constant revolution and is always changing.

Oh and by the way, musicians make money off their music. They live off their songs. Wouldn't they want to be making better songs that more people would like?

Making better songs is fine but when you go and completley ignore your roots thats when people yell sellout.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Making better songs is fine but when you go and completley ignore your roots thats when people yell sellout.

And people change all the time you just have to accept that a band or producer might want a different sound for the next album.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by Lethal Dosage

Well yeah, always stay true to your roots. I mean, as time goes on, you are bound to get new sounds and styles. A band that kept the same sound would be dull and boring. While keeping their roots, altering their sound a little from album to album, then that is just amazing

Selling out...yeah it pisses me off. But when people are falsely accusing some band of selling out pisses me off.
Quote by AthenasGhost
And people change all the time you just have to accept that a band or producer might want a different sound for the next album.

Yeah but I firmly believe that you can be rich and famous and still play the same music but better refined by a producer. Look at a band like pantera. They played basically the same music their whole career and they made ****tons of money off of it.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
lostprophets were massive sellouts. They used to be a great band, and Fake sound of Progress is one of my favourite albums, now they're churning out that emo ****.
There's nothing wrong with getting a little mainstream attention for your hard work and perserverance.

However, playing what is mainstream just for a quick dollar is BS.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Yeah but I firmly believe that you can be rich and famous and still play the same music but better refined by a producer. Look at a band like pantera. They played basically the same music their whole career and they made ****tons of money off of it.

Yeah but..........

......pantera has always sucked
Quote by pataldo
lostprophets were massive sellouts. They used to be a great band, and Fake sound of Progress is one of my favourite albums, now they're churning out that emo ****.

I noticed that when I starting seeing them on TV again I was like, yeah Last Train Ho- wait, wtf is this?
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by pataldo

Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by ironman1478
Yeah but..........

Ok, you crossed the line.

I guess everyone has their opinion though....

(Are you mad?)
Quote by Superperfex
Ok, you crossed the line.

I guess everyone has their opinion though....

(Are you mad?)
Yes I am 0_o :p
Quote by ironman1478
Yeah but..........

This is true.

Except Dimebag RIP.

\m/
The people who don't listen to music because it's mainstream are just as bad as the people who only listen to what's popular at the time. Stop caring what people think about and listen to what you like.
You shouldn't need to like all of a band's songs just to say you like them.
That's stupid, that's just liking a band for the name.
If a band was playing some metal and one day decided to make some sort of pop rock album, it would be reasonable they would lose some fans, some people aren't intereted in pop-rock. My main point is, it's stupid to mindlessly follow bands just because you liked a couple things they have done.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by Post?Organic
The people who don't listen to music because it's mainstream are just as bad as the people who only listen to what's popular at the time. Stop caring what people think about and listen to what you like.

Exactly, this right here is the mindset that people need to have imo.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Page 1 of 2