I have only been playing about a year, and I though I would teat myself to a new guitar for the holidays.

Is this a good guitar: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSA60-Electric-Guitar-103122719-i1150636.gc

I don't really play gigs, I just play in my room right now. I play mostly rock, but I dabble in Metal. I am also trying to get into blues, but I have a 66' Melody Maker for that .

Well, I don't have a distinct genre. I am playing a little bit of everything right now, just to see what is fun to play.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
you'd generally want to stay away from guitars made from agathis. do you have a budget ? maybe we could help you find something a bit better.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
those are the same pickups that came in my first guitar, they suck. "powersound" pups are weak.

also
agathis is a really...eeeehh wood.

you must either be a beginner or on a budget.
if ur a beginner a tremolo is only gonna distract u and make u tune more than u play.
I do have a budget, to an extent. I have looked at this guitar for the past 2 weeks, and I enjoyed playing it. It has a smooth and easy to navigate fretboard, along with many pickup configuriations. You can really get a variety of sounds out of this guitar, which is good for experimenting genres.

And besides, if I was to get a guitar, it would be tomorrow. Guitar center is having a 15% discount, and I was planning on getting this, and a Marshall 30WAT to accompany it. If I got a higher end guitar, I would be stuck playing a good guitar on a piece of **** crate 10 WAT.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
It would be better to spend your entire budget on a guitar rather than get that marshall MG 30.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by a music guy
Jesus Christ, you can't really beat that for that price... so + infinity. GET THAT GUITAR.

i was really suprised when i read the specs on it too. it's kinda ugly though, just my opinion.
you would need to look at the actual guitar to look for any flaws that occurred during construction and see how it actually plays.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by Hd94
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wilshire-Electric-Guitar-518527-i1391552.gc
man go with this i have played on of these they are stunning and should be worth up to 3 times as much for all the features cant beat it for under 300 bucks

What exactly is so great about this guitar?
I would like to be informed about what I spend $250.......

This si my amplifier BTW: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-FlexWave-Series-FW15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-481054-i1175925.gc

How about I get one of the above guitars, and this amp:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Last edited by Dwarfish at Nov 28, 2008,
The Vypyr is a solid choice, far better than the MG. The guitar you linked to isn't exactly bad, but it's not great either. For the same money you can get this guitar:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-511077-i1146648.gc

Better value imo. It is somewhat similar to the Ibanez GSA60, but has nicer pickups and a better tremolo. The body wood is different, too, it has an alder body which is a wood typically used for strat-style guitars. Lower grade alder is generally a better tonewood than lower grade agathis.

And I'd avoid low end Epiphones at all cost unless you want poor sound, an unstable tuning and ridiculous craftsmanship and playability.
Well, I will definitely look at all of these guitars when I go to guitar center today. Although, I heard that on amps with effects built in, whenever you hook up pedals/wahs, that you get a muddy, distorted sound. True/false?
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
That epiphone wilshire is really nice for the price. I have been looking at them. And i would look at a peavey vypyr as an "inexpensive" amp. I guarantee you will be much more happy with a vypyr that an MG.
Okay, I ended up getting the original guitar, and a 30W Spider 3.

Please don't kill me.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Quote by jeremessmore
you just killed everything we showed you, and got a terrible amp and guitar, well not terrible amp but eh

That amp is worse than terrible...
take the spider III back and get the Vypyr NOWNOWNOWNOWNOW

in 2 weeks you will hate that amp
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
****ing idiot

roland cube for god sake (sorry i didnt contribute earlier, would have saved you alot of hassle)

you think of getting the mg

ug persuades you not to

then you go buy a sspider 3

what the **** seriously, u ever read this forum?

[edit]

the guitar doesnt look too bad though
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
if you've only just bought the amp u can return it within 7 days

RETURN THAT ****ING PIECE OF ****E NOW!

srsly dude
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Return the guitar and amp and get the Yamaha and the Vypyr.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
if he like's them, then let him keep them.

The spider 3 isnt even that bad, everybody jump's on the band wagon and is like "omgz spiderz III, n00bz".

just give it a rest ffs.

To the TS, if you like the guitar and you like the sound you can get out of your amp, then good purchase i say, if your not happy with it, take it back ofcourse, but if you like it then it's money well spent.

Once you get use to the spider amp you can tweak pretty much every setting so your bound to get a nice few tone's out of it.

enjoy
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488
if he like's them, then let him keep them.

The spider 3 isnt even that bad, everybody jump's on the band wagon and is like "omgz spiderz III, n00bz".

just give it a rest ffs.

To the TS, if you like the guitar and you like the sound you can get out of your amp, then good purchase i say, if your not happy with it, take it back ofcourse, but if you like it then it's money well spent.

Once you get use to the spider amp you can tweak pretty much every setting so your bound to get a nice few tone's out of it.

enjoy

It's not Bandwagon jumping
The Spyder is just a ****e amp tbh.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Leave the kid alone, if that was what he wanted, that's none of our business. Jeez.
The next guy who calls him names will get reported. Knock it off, guys.
Guys, I tried out all of the amps and guitars you recommended, and I picked this set. I thank you for the advice, but it looks like we disagreed. I have until January 21st to return anything, so I have a while to play around with it.

What is so terrible about the spider III anyway? I liked all the effects I messed around with in the store, and I don't have enough money to go buy another distortion petal whenever a song I want to play requires it.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Alot of people say it sound's very digital/ over processed, all the spider's that i've heard though dont sound all that bad, ok there not going to be as full sounding and nataural as a tube amp, since the spider is a solid state amp, but im sure you will still get tone's out of it that match your favourite guitarist's and im sure there will be a forum or two on the internet that share tip's and setting's to get the most out of it, so i wouldnt really worry about it.

I think what alot of people do is just play maybe the default metal setting and find it abit, sterile/ lifeless, like most preset's you get on amp's and they just judge it from that.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Thats good. I don't play too much metal, and if that is the only setting that they are everybody is having a problem with, then I am all good.''The only thing I don't like about the guitar, is that it is HARD to pull the tremolo bar up.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Quote by Dwarfish
''The only thing I don't like about the guitar, is that it is HARD to pull the tremolo bar up.

because it's not a floating trem so you can only dive.
Quote by mikeyElite
because it's not a floating trem so you can only dive.

Oh, it actually is. It's a two point synchronized trem that uses knife edges, so it does float. The body isn't routed for pulling it up much though, unlike on a Floyd-equipped guitar. However, it can be adjusted, so you can pull up a half step or two.

To the ts: It has been said already, but anyway: Spiders sound a bit digital. Comparing a Spider to valve amps often is like comparing a keyboard to a piano: The keyboard (Spider) does not respond as sensitively to your playing as a piano (valve amp). If you are used to other amps, Spiders will seem like toys to you. It can be a little frustrating, because nuances get lost. Pretty much all solid state amps suffer from this, but Spiders are among the ones who suffer the most from it. The sound itself isn't all too bad. I have played some amps that were worse, however I have also played a lot of amps that were better. The effects are fun, I give you that. But I think that overall a similarly priced Roland, Vox or Peavey is a better amp.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Dwarfish
Guys, I tried out all of the amps and guitars you recommended, and I picked this set. I thank you for the advice, but it looks like we disagreed. I have until January 21st to return anything, so I have a while to play around with it.

What is so terrible about the spider III anyway? I liked all the effects I messed around with in the store, and I don't have enough money to go buy another distortion petal whenever a song I want to play requires it.

It sounds unbelievably digital and there are plenty of better amps for the same price.
It has a LOT of reliance problems as well.

Quote by TheQuailman
Oh, it actually is. It's a two point synchronized trem that uses knife edges, so it does float. The body isn't routed for pulling it up much though, unlike on a Floyd-equipped guitar. However, it can be adjusted, so you can pull up a half step or two.

To the ts: It has been said already, but anyway: Spiders sound a bit digital. Comparing a Spider to valve amps often is like comparing a keyboard to a piano: The keyboard (Spider) does not respond as sensitively to your playing as a piano (valve amp). If you are used to other amps, Spiders will seem like toys to you. It can be a little frustrating, because nuances get lost. Pretty much all solid state amps suffer from this, but Spiders are among the ones who suffer the most from it. The sound itself isn't all too bad. I have played some amps that were worse, however I have also played a lot of amps that were better. The effects are fun, I give you that. But I think that overall a similarly priced Roland, Vox or Peavey is a better amp.

No it's like comparing a Black and White TV to a Nice wide screen colour TV...

The Voxs, Rolands and Peaveys are light years better.

You can keep this purchase if you like, BUT in about a year/two (maybe half a year) you'll be sitting there with a ****ty amp that you can't stand.

You have been warned.