Yeah it's perfectly alright. I borrowed a Boss distortion pedal (I don't know which exactly, but now the DS-1) soon before I bought the Boss Bass Overdrive (ODB-3)
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Yes
My bassist tried it at our last rehersal. Sounded really amazing actually.
Surprisingly enough, it sounds better with bass than with guitar.
This leads me to sort of derail the thread for a similar question:

Is it a-o-kay to plug a bass into any stomp box pedal? (Using a bass amp at the end of course). This is running on the knowledge that a guitar amp + bass is bad, and curious if guitar based effects have the same sensitivity.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Some guitar stomps are much less responsive than other ones, due to the basses frequency range, but others will work well with basses. Actually, some bass stomps work well with guitar stomps, the EHX Bass Muff being the prime example.
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
This leads me to sort of derail the thread for a similar question:

Is it a-o-kay to plug a bass into any stomp box pedal? (Using a bass amp at the end of course). This is running on the knowledge that a guitar amp + bass is bad, and curious if guitar based effects have the same sensitivity.

As long as you're running into a bass amp, yes it's fine. Some might not sound great, but it won't damage anything. The whole "bass pedal" where pedals are specially designed for basses is a gimmick, I had a bass overdrive from boss I bought in the early days of my bass playing, it never sounded right on bass, but when I picked up guitar, all I had was a bass amp and that, so I used that for my distortion and the sound was comparable to a big muff.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120