I'm trying to learn a few Iron Maiden songs (the trooper, run to the hills etc) that have that sort of galloping rhythm to them. I'm having trouble figure it out. It sounds to me like they are palm muted but I'm a little confused as to when I should upstroke/downstoke or if they are all downstroked. When I use upstrokes when palm muting they usually fail or sound weird. A little direction here will be much appreciated.
usually u wanna alternate pick it

up down up is usually the way to go
gallops are 16th notes with every 4th note muted (completely). They're also known as triplets.

imagine playing straight out 16th notes in alternate picking (up-down-up-down) but every 4 note is muted.

eg: (straight out alternate 16ths) the '1' represents each tick of the click track in 4/4

triplets (gallops) : the '-' represents a muted note.

123-123-123-123-

Use a metronome and play very slowly at first to get the feel of it right. dont tense, you will regret it later. be relaxed. start slow so you can hear and understand the picking pattern and the timing of it.

good luck
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by bigtimmy
gallops are 16th notes with every 4th note muted (completely). They're also known as triplets.

imagine playing straight out 16th notes in alternate picking (up-down-up-down) but every 4 note is muted.

eg: (straight out alternate 16ths) the '1' represents each tick of the click track in 4/4

123-123-123-123-

Use a metronome and play very slowly at first to get the feel of it right. dont tense, you will regret it later. be relaxed. start slow so you can hear and understand the picking pattern and the timing of it.

good luck

You are talking about something that is not triplets. You apparently have no knowledge of the music theory behind a triplet.

A triplet is a division of music (whole, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, etc.), that is split into three even spaces.

However, a gallop is 4 eights, sixteenths, etc. with the 4th being a rest, not a note.
Quote by StratoTele
You are talking about something that is not triplets. You apparently have no knowledge of the music theory behind a triplet.

A triplet is a division of music (whole, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, etc.), that is split into three even spaces.

However, a gallop is 4 eights, sixteenths, etc. with the 4th being a rest, not a note.

Yes, StratoTele knows what he is talking about. The guy who posted above him did not. Follow Strato's advice.
Quote by StratoTele

Closer, but still not quite right.

1. A triplet is a rhythmic technique in which three notes are fit into the time normally occupied by two of the same note. "Three even spaces" does not mean anything; I could play three quarter notes in a 3/4 measure and not have it be a triplet; they'd be evenly spaced, but it's just filling the measure normally. Before you say somebody has "no knowledge" about the idea of a triplet, make sure you've grasped the concept yourself.

2. The gallop rhythm (EVERYONE gets this wrong) is actually an eighth note followed by two sixteenth notes. The reverse gallop is two sixteenths followed by an eighth.
Last edited by :-D at Nov 28, 2008,
galloping in a more simplified term are just bursts of alt picking, weather palm muted or not.
Picking pattern:

Down-(rest)-Down-Up-Down-(rest)-Down-Up-Down

nice and fast for that galloping sound
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Ok, this is the question.

Quote by Kingofold
I'm a little confused as to when I should upstroke/downstoke or if they are all downstroked. When I use upstrokes when palm muting they usually fail or sound weird. A little direction here will be much appreciated.

The TS is not asking how to write a gallop.

TS; Yes, you should be alternate picking. Generally, you'll start with a down stroke. If your upstroke sounds a little weird when palm muting then you may want to make sure you're using as little motion as possible with your picking hand. Some people use their elbow to pick but you should limit your picking to at least your wrist.

If that's not the problem, then you may be muting the strings with your palm too much or too little. Experiment with where you are resting your palm.

Also, use only the very tip of the pick. It makes alternate picking that much easier and effeciant.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Nov 28, 2008,
when im galloping, i visualize it. and think of it like "down-up-down...up-down-up...down-up-down" and my wrist will point up, then down, then up, when i complete my gallops. when doing down strokes, think of punching someone below your guitar twice. For up strokes, think of punching your chest twice.

if those analogies are too difficult to comprehend then i have no help for you, you have to see what i mean.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Quote by bigtimmy

123-123-123-123-

good luck

dude, triplets are when you divide the beat into 3 equal lengths, gallops are 2 sixteenth notes followed by an eight note and repeating that 2 16ths and 1 eigth note (or 32'nd notes followed by a 16th and so fourth (even tho thats rediculously fast))
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
thanks for the help guys. I think i just need to practice alternate picking on powerchords. I understand the rythym but I just can't produce it well right now.