What are some good tube based overdrives/distortion pedals? I don't really have a budget right now, just throw some ideas around and let me know how things are. I'm looking at a Radial Tonebone Plexitube to give you some clue about what I'm looking for.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

maxon makes one but i cant remember its name. ive heard sound clips tho and it sounds awesome
Don't get it unless it's running 100V+ - those 12V-based tubes pedal sound alright, but not exactly "tube"-toney.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i have a tube distortion pedal but if you play through an amp with even mild gain it is too saturated. just as well off with a lovepedal eternity.
maxon od808
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by BigRob91
maxon od808

The Maxon OD808 is not tube based.

EDIT: Some more Tube based overdrive/distortions that you can try or look into are:

Hughes & Kettner Tubeman Tube-Driven 3-Channel Guitar Recording Station
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Damage Control Womanizer Tube Distortion
Damage Control Demonizer
Seymour Duncan SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem
Seymour Duncan SFX-03 Twin Tube Classic
Maxon ROD881 Real Tube Overdrive
Blackstar HT Series HT-DUAL Tube Dual Distortion
Electro-Harmonix Classics Tube Zipper Distortion
Blackstar HT Series HT-DISTX Tube High Gain Distortion
Blackstar HT Series HT-DIST Tube Distortion
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King High Voltage Tube Distortion
Blackstar HT Series HT-DRIVE Tube Overdrive
Rocktron Silver Dragon Tube Distortion
Damage Control Solid Metal Dual Tube
Damage Control Liquid Blues Dual Tube Overdrive
AMT Electronics TPL Tube Platinum Valve Distortion
Last edited by bogg808 at Nov 28, 2008,
^^Wow that's an awesome list. Do you have a more compact list of the ones that really stand out as better?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I own the tube factor. If you take the stock Sovtek out of it, it's a great OD.
The top end can be a LITTLE harsh, but a warmer preamp tube will fix that.
It's very dynamic and natural sounding. It's a bit pricey though, so try to go used.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by VoodooCow229
^^Wow that's an awesome list. Do you have a more compact list of the ones that really stand out as better?

The only tube based pedals I've tried were the Plexitube and Classic Tonebones from Radial, I just made that list from Musiciansfriend.