Right, I play mostly in Standard but I want to be able to tune down to C Standard without the strings going out of tune every five minutes. I've searched, and so far I've seen posts claiming that 10-52s or 11s can do Standard and C just fine. I know that Brendan Small of Dethklok uses 10-52s.

The question is this: Do I need to get my guitar properly adjusted for a move to 10-52s? I've got an Ibanez RG321MH.

Thanks,
Nic
I've never been happy with one guitar that does such a big tuning range...a half a step is doable, but once you're going a whole setup, and then even dropping the bottom string ANOTHER step, the guitar isn't playing well at all.

The best way, and only way, IMO, is to have two guitars setup for the tunings.

Eric
Yes it's bad for the neck to constantly be taking changes in tension. Two guitars. Or play in C all the time, and capo (or man up) for the standard tuning portions.

Also. When you drop way down with strings, usually just tuning up a few times should stop them from being angry with you... but it's still not a good practice to be jumping up and down 2 steps.

*EDIT*

Just saw your last question: That depends. What kind of strings are on the guitar right now? .9's? You might not. But it wouldn't hurt if it hasn't been setup in awhile (or ever...) and you want to change gauges.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Eh.... I could see you leaving it in C and using a capo. But it's really not that good for the guitar to change tunings, especially differences that great all the time. Two guitars is better.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thanks guys. I'm glad you stopped me before I did something stupid! I'll do the capo method you mentioned. Assuming I do this, will my guitar handle the 10-52 without needing to take it into a shop for adjustment?
I have 2 guitars, one in Drop D and one for C standard and lower. I find that 10-52 are fine for Drop D but too loose for anything below Drop C, so the other guitar is set up with 11s, which I find too thick for Drop D
This method's probably best, as mentioned above, it's not good to change the tension that much very frequently
Changing to 10-52 won't be a huge difference, it'll require minor adjustments that you can easily do in 10 minutes or less
ohai little sig.
Well like I said, that depends does it currently have .9's? I can't say it won't need an adjustment... I can say it might not, or it shouldn't. But it might decide to throw a fit and get fret buzz on every string.
Quote by sargasm
Ah sorry about that digi, I completely missed your first edit. Yeah right now I got .9s.

Well guys, you've helped a great deal. Many thanks for your time!
Quote by The_Stapleman
Ah sorry about that digi, I completely missed your first edit. Yeah right now I got .9s.

Well guys, you've helped a great deal. Many thanks for your time!

Glad to help mate. Good luck with your strings.
Quote by sargasm
have multiple guitars and set them up for different tunings.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369