So pretty much im a beginner looking to get a decent guitar now an epiphone sg g400 deluxe and a epiphone les paul standard plus are going for sale on ebay which would be the better purchase out of the two, looking to play your typical metal/rock music i.e gunners, metallica, led zep, bfmv etc if that helps.
Played either of them?

Not much in it tbh..

Whichever you like the look and sound of?

Are you competent enough to test guitars out yet?

Or are you literally just starting out? If you are, props for (presumably following advice) getting something decent out right. Will save you in the long term but most don't want to fork out immediately.
Pretty much just starting out so i dont think id be competent enough to test em myself ive picked up both in the shop and they both felt pretty comfortable ... if anything i think im leaning towards the les paul, the sg comes with an ga80 amp where as the les paul is selling by itself in which case id probably pick up a roland cube for it.
I have both

I started on an SG whichh I found easier at the time because it's lighter and easier access to the higher frets

Either way, you'll end up with a REALLY nice guitar
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Instead of making another thread just a quick question ive pretty much settled on the epi sg in preference to the lp is there much of a difference between the epi sg g400 and the deluxe version of that model??
The Epiphone Prophecy guitars are great for metal if you're willing to invest in one of those. The Tony Iommi Epiphone G400 is also good. The pickups on those are excellent for metal, since they have very high output.

Of the two you asked, I would get the SG.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
i love my sg but i also love lespauls in a different way. but i am building a lp next month so either way i am happy
They're both pretty much the same. Just depends on how it feels. Les Pauls are heavier and bigger but have more sustain. SGs are lighter in comparison, small and have less sustain. Also, remember SGs are top heavy which means the neck will be pulled downwards instead of the body.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
i like the weight and size of les pauls but SGs are lighter, have faster necks, and you can actually use the high frets, ulike an LP. its really up to you. epiphones are nice and have good quality control. ive prolly played most of the epiphone lineup over the past year or so. the G400 is GREAT. if you like it more than the les paul than buy it! happy playing!!!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Whatever you prefer most. I personally prefer a LP because I like heavy thick stuff on my hands.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Last edited by RR787 at Nov 30, 2008,
Quote by f22master
you can actually use the high frets, ulike an LP

This is incorrect, fret access is not as good as SG/Strat/Tele but they are not as hard to play as some people make out. Check out Zakk Wylde or Slash, they can do it.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
This is incorrect, fret access is not as good as SG/Strat/Tele but they are not as hard to play as some people make out. Check out Zakk Wylde or Slash, they can do it.

yes, but it IS harder. i know that slash can play an LP faster than most can play an Ibanez, BUT most people are not Slash! SGs high frets are easier to reach than an LP. Period.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B