i went to my g/f's house for thanksgiving yesterday. it was the first time i had met her parents. my g/f's grandfather played guitar in the grand ole opry and when her grandfather passed away he left all of his guitars to her father. well that guitar has been sitting around collecting dust for the past 15 years. my girlfriend's dad knows i'm going to school for guitar and asked me to tune it up. when he gives it to me, i see how ancient the damn thing was. i ask her dad wow how old is this thing? he says his dad bought it when he was 19 years old and that was in 1931. well to my surprise the strings still had life in them. the tuning pegs were a bit stiff but they managed to get the job done. but let me tell you...that guitar had the most amazing tone. i was blown away playing that thing. it played so well for not being touched in nearly 15 years and even better for being at least 70 years old. how much would a gibson that's at least 70 years old worth now? and does it surprise anyone that they sound so good?
the arsonist had oddly shaped feet...
Do you have any pictures or a serial number?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

It's probably worth quite a bit. It should probably be restringed with extra light strings(10's) because the wood has probably lost some structural integrity. What a find though!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^400 what? 400 dollars? Because most Gibson acoustics do not cost $400, they cost a lot more depending on the brand. I would say this thing has got to be worth a lot of money, especially since it sounds good. But if I had that, I would keep it, for sure.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

I think he meant $400 when they bought it way back when?

not all Gibsons are worth a lot even if they are super old. What body style was it?

The tone probably sounds good just because it's a good guitar. Guitars don't just sound good because they are old. The vibrations actually make the wood "sweeten" more than the age I believe. So the more playing it had, the more vibrations.

But that is a great find, pictures would be awesome
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by sunshowers
You should take the guitar to an expert to have it appraised.

where would i do that?
Do you live around Tennesse (In the U.S.) by chance? If so, was this man's last name 'Apple'? I know this is a weird question, but I think I might know the exact guitar(s) you're talking about.

Word on older Gibsons: not all of them are rare collector guitars. A lot of them were sold through Sears and similiar stores and they weren't built very well. Yes there are some diamonds in the rough, but most of them made between WWI and WWII aren't worth much. Also if you do decide to ever restring it, find the lightest set of strings you possibly can. Most pre-WWII Gibsons don't have any bracing on the soundboard. I bet if you look a little closer, the bridge has bellied up.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Do you live around Tennesse (In the U.S.) by chance? If so, was this man's last name 'Apple'? I know this is a weird question, but I think I might know the exact guitar(s) you're talking about.

Word on older Gibsons: not all of them are rare collector guitars. A lot of them were sold through Sears and similiar stores and they weren't built very well. Yes there are some diamonds in the rough, but most of them made between WWI and WWII aren't worth much. Also if you do decide to ever restring it, find the lightest set of strings you possibly can. Most pre-WWII Gibsons don't have any bracing on the soundboard. I bet if you look a little closer, the bridge has bellied up.

his name was ervin eubanks. not too sure on the spelling of the first name.
Quote by stackedxactor
his name was ervin eubanks. not too sure on the spelling of the first name.

lol sry about that then. A family friend's dad used to play on the Grand Ol' Opry. He recently passed away and has inherited a whole bunch of acoustics, including 2 old Gibsons and a Martin D-10 given to him by some famous country guitarist
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by darkrikku
well gibson acoustic is around 400, thats what my friends cost

so 400+ 1.2% intrest per year for 70 years= around 8,000 dollars

What the hell?! I wanna know where your friend got a Gibson Acoustic for $400, because most Gibson Acoustics I've seen are $2,000+.
Go get it professionaly apparaised first, just to make sure that if it were to be sold you'd get the money you should. Other than that, NICE FIND!!
Pot
Kettle
Black