ok, so I ahve to play my guitar with my high school marching band tomorow, and I wanna know, how will the cold effect it? is it generally a good idea to take an electric guitar in the cold? how will it affect intonation, the neck, etc?

thanks for all replies!!!
ive found that the strings get alot tighter than you would normally feel. where as room temp or a hotter temp lossens them. so depending on how/what your playing it may or may not effect you all that much.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
It could warp the wood or crack the finish if it is exposed to cold temperatures after being in a very warm place, and vice versa.
Also, wear some fingerless gloves, they help a lot when playing in the cold
ohai little sig.
the guitar should be fine. idk about you, but anything colder than like 60 degrees makes my fingers cramp up and actually freeze up pretty quickly to the point that i cant play at all. just do your best to keep your hands warm.
I don't know about the actual guitar but I just cannot play well in the cold.But then again I'm from Australia...we don't know true cold.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ideally leave your guitar in a hard case, but outside for an hour before you start so it can cool down gradually.

When you have finished, put it back in a hard case and take it back indoors - again, dont open it for an hour or so so that it warms up slowly.

going cold to hot or hot to cold too quickly is baaayad

keep dem pinkies warm (do a warm up first etc as well) and expect the odd bum note!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
bring the ****tiest guitar you have and bring some of those hand warmer things and thick gloves for when youre not playing.
Quote by cuthbertg
Ideally leave your guitar in a hard case, but outside for an hour before you start so it can cool down gradually.

When you have finished, put it back in a hard case and take it back indoors - again, dont open it for an hour or so so that it warms up slowly.

going cold to hot or hot to cold too quickly is baaayad

keep dem pinkies warm (do a warm up first etc as well) and expect the odd bum note!

bum note? please explain
errr, cant think how to explain in american -LOL

errr, bum note, you know, when you accidently hit the wrong note or string.

or perhaps a bad note

Man that was hard - I need coffee
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
errr, cant think how to explain in american -LOL

errr, bum note, you know, when you accidently hit the wrong note or string.

or perhaps a bad note

Man that was hard - I need coffee

oooo ok I get it, thanks a lot for all the help guys!!
no worries - enjoy it but keep thoses pinkies warm - it will help to stop the strings from feeling like your'e playing an egg slicer!
I had to play a Washburn bass in our marching show a few years back. Whenever we hit Regionals the weather dropped and it was super cold. We have a semi-trailer that we used to carry the equipment from site to site and I let the bass adjust to the temperature (In the case) while it was in the trailer.

I had to retune it once we got wherever we were going, but it did alright. As long as you don't take it from a warm bus or something, strap it on, and go at it outside it should be fine. The hard part way trying to play it lol. Your hands get really cold fast to the point they're numb
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]