Ok, so I need new equipment.
(if you don't want to read all the detail skip to the end).
Atm, my set up is a Jackson SL2H (really nice) running through a zoom G2 to a carlsbro GLX100 (not that great). I've also got a crybaby from hell

I want a really nice lush tone but no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get it with my zoom pedal, it just seems too digital. Its a shame because I love all the other features of it. Another thing is that it seems to be really noisy, especially when plugged into my power supply and the wah. (???)

I'm in 2 bands. One hasn't really started yet and will be a glam and 80's metal band. The other one I'm in though does loads of covers and our songs are a real mix (we do wolfmother, muse, foo fighters, weezer, even propane nightmares by pendulum, plus some of our own stuff). Therefore, I don't know how I would be able to cope with anything other than a multieffects. Between songs in a gig, for example, I would have to spend ages changing everything if I didn't have one as opposed to changing a patch.

So I'm stuck! If I run a distortion through my multieffects, it will probably just make more background noise. If I go for a whole new rig, with loads of pedals for my distortion, delay, chorus etc. I won't be able to change them v fast in between (and even more importantly, during) songs. And I don't want to just stick with my multieffects, because it doesn't have that sweet tone I need for some of the maiden and dio solos I will be playing!

I even heard someone say that you don't just want to rely on pedals for your distortion, but have a pedal and then some on your amp. But then if you quickly change to a clean part of a song, how are you going to change both the amp and the distortion pedal and maybe the chorus or turn on some delay in one go?

####################################################
So basically, I pose the question: How do I get nice tone yet remain versatile to quickly change effects/tone. (wish someone would just make a multieffects with a tubescreamer installed into it or something, or maybe a pedal that can change all your other pedals to presets) =D

Cheers for any sensible responses!
Well, you could either:
  • Use youre amp's distortion (foot pedal) and the effects from your processor.
  • Upgrade to a better processor and rely on it completely.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Get a bunch of pedals along with a looper. Stick the pedals you turn off midsong in a loop and turn them all off with one button.
Ah, a loop. Just checked them out, didn't realise about them, cheers!

Do multieffects with half decent tones exists? I'm on a bit of a budget, don't have much money after getting my Jackson, so would it be a better idea to get a really good multieffects or loads of pedals? (I suppose I should go to a shop and see if they actually have alright tone, unlike my G2).
I would do the amp thing but I don't think its distortion is very good, and should you run delay and chorus before the distortion? Also, I still have the problem with it being too noisy at gig volumes.
High end multieffects pedals can get you very good tone. However, quality single effect pedals are more versatile and often sound better than the multieffects unit counterpart. If you're a tone freak, you should get single effect pedals. If you only want good tone and need portability, though, a good multieffects pedal will be your best bet.

Quality single effect pedals are really expensive (about $200 for a delay pedal alone, $150ish for an overdrive, $100 for an EQ... you get the picture), so in the end the multieffects pedals are cheaper.
Last edited by banjo1735 at Nov 28, 2008,
Ok, thanks a lot man. I may consider buying a looper and a load of pedals, although I'll look in to some more high end multieffects too. Looking at the Boss GT-10 atm
Last edited by Jamma at Nov 28, 2008,
This would work: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Radial-BigShot-MIX-Effects-Loop-Mixer-150259-i1321936.gc

Either that or getting two A/B Boxes. Apart from that, i recommend a good multieffects. I personally don't like the Boss GT's since they're pretty annoying to use at times and sound quite digital to me. I have a Line 6 POD X3 Live and like it way more than the GT8's i've tried.

EDIT: You're not looking for a looper. It's a loop switch/selector or a/b box that you need. They're completely different things.

Kinda stupid to name them like that if you ask me.

A looper, sometimes called loop stations, is a pedal that records what you play into a track and replays it while allowing you to layer more tracks on top of that continuously. Examples would be the Boss RC-20XL and Digitech JamMan (which i own).

What you're talking about is a channel selector/switch or effects loop.

They're two different things despite their similar names.

Yeah, I got a lot of that when I was searching for them, bit did obviously notice the difference!

I think my plan is to just get a few individual pedals, a delay, chorus and some sort of distortion. I have a volume pedal too, but adapted so that its an expression pedal for my zoom.

I think after that, I'll get more pedals and a pedal selector (after I've recooped some more money after xmas).

One other question:
I know pretty much all amps can get a pedal to switch them on and off distortion. But is there a way to get that switch to activate just with a looper, so that you can change to some pedals and distortion in one go?
Or are there amps with two inputs so that one is channel is clean and one isn't, allowing you to choose whether or not to distort and then have the rest of the signal go through the desired effects using the looper?

I think getting a new amp might be a bit too much though, but I am searching for a great tone. So are there any distortion pedals that are really sweet? I've heard that Satch uses the boss DS-1 but more as a way to disort the signal a bit before the preamp, I'm guessing he gets more of his tone from the amp?
So any recommended pedals for distortion?

Thanks loads for all the replies so far guys, has been very helpful.
Satch uses a keeley ds1 (way better) just for a boost.

Good tone starts with a good amp and I think that's where you should start.

I understand you want your sound right for all of your covers, but no one is gonna notice if you don't sound exactly like such and such or you have the same exact effects on. I saw a band cover everything from pink floyd to the rocky horror picture show to the RHCP and all he had was a blue jr and a DS1
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You should definetly get a good amp if you don't have one yet.

Think of tone as a piece of meat. If the meat is bad, it doesn't matter how much spices you put on it, it still won't be a pleasant eating experience. However, if the meat is good, you propably don't even need that much added flavour. Don't go searching for the perfect spices if you don't have a decent meal to use them with.

Same goes on backwards, a good tone can be wrecked with bad pedals. Too many people don't seem to realise this.
My gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Squier Fat Strat Deluxe
Yamaha FG700 Acoustic
Old Nylonstrung Acoustic

Peavey Classic 50w 2/12
Roland Cube 30X
Roland Cube 60 (30~ years old)
Vox 847A Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Old Ibanez Rack Delay
Right, thanks.

But say I got a good amp with decent distortion and use a DS-1 before hand as a boost, or a spice :P Then when I want to switch to clean. I would have to turn off the DS-1 and the amp distortion in one go, so I'd have to jump on with both feet, fall over and look like a wazzack on stage

Furthermore, if I wanted to switch to a part of a song from clean to a distortion part with no delay, how would I do this... how do I turn off distortion using an a/b box?

By the way, I'm not actually that sure how crap the distortion on my amp is; its a Carlsbro GLX100, 100 Watts and very loud, so every time I've tested it its been at low volume. When I played a gig with it, i was running my multieffects through it with it on clean. I also have a marshall MG15CDR

Maybe next band practice I should lug it all the way down to the practice room and try it out :S It just seems to lack any sort of kick.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Good tone starts with a good amp and I think that's where you should start.

+1

if you really need to change a bunch of fx quickly, maybe consider a looper, or MIDI/rackmounted fx.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tzeel
You should definetly get a good amp if you don't have one yet.

Think of tone as a piece of meat. If the meat is bad, it doesn't matter how much spices you put on it, it still won't be a pleasant eating experience. However, if the meat is good, you propably don't even need that much added flavour. Don't go searching for the perfect spices if you don't have a decent meal to use them with.

Same goes on backwards, a good tone can be wrecked with bad pedals. Too many people don't seem to realise this.

exactly, excellent analogy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ehm, just a quick question too about what I asked about my carlsbro:
http://www.dv247.com/invt/37694/
Its that, I got it for £100 about 2 years ago. It says its got "Valve Power Emulation" but its SS right?

I know valve amps sound loads better at high volumes (although I've never actually used one before) but do SS amps? I mean if my amp sounds pretty ****e at practicing-in-my-room-volume, is it going to be still crappy cranked up? Maybe I'm going to need to buy tonnes of pedals AND a ridiculously expensive tube amp
Tube (or valve) amps do tend to sound better at higher volumes, SS amps don't. If your amp sound bad as low volumes then it will probably sound worse at higher volumes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
You won't need to get alot of pedals if thats not your bag. Alot of us just prefer the quality of sound and the tweakability of single pedals. I suggest getting a TC Electronics processor, they have midi footswitchable FX, and sound really good.
The TC Electonics G-major would be great for you.
I would suggest looking into a new amplifier however. That carlsboro is going to sound like crap turned up even farther.