I currently have a Peavey Triple XXX combo amp, ive had it for a while now and ive decided its time to get rid. Ive spent months trying to get a sound I really like out of it but ive decided the amp just isnt for me, the tone is ok when im playing it at low volume sitting next to it, but when I stand up and turn the volume up louder it starts to sound like crud, the bass is flabby, the mid range is real strange, and there is a horrid treble bite which I dont like.

I should be able to sell the amp for around £400 (which is what I paid for it) so I need some help deciding what to replace it with. I need an amp that has a nice thick sound, plenty of distortion, sounds good for anything from old Metallica to In Flames. Ive been looking at the Randall G3+ series. Now I know on paper they dont really compare to the Triple XXX (all tube vs hybrid, price, etc) but ive had a number of Randall's in the past (Warhead, RG100ES, RH50T, RH200 G2) and they have all been good amps (wish I hadn't sold the Warhead) so I figured the G3 series would also be good.

I only have sound clips to go on as my local guitar store closed down, but can anyone give me some good feedback on these amps? Im looking at getting either the RG75G3 or the RG100G3. If anyone has any other amp suggestions feel free to offer them up. My budget is £400, I dont want to buy used (people offen suggest getting a 5150 used, but over here used they are around £500 + £600 which really isnt an option)

Here are some clips of the RH150G3, im presuming all models sound the same:

http://www.vimeo.com/1788253

http://www.vimeo.com/1761303

http://www.vimeo.com/2212758
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I don't know if that amp can compare to the XXX at all. What settings are you using on your XXX? Have you tried running an overdrive into it?
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
Quote by A7X-LoGaN-A7X
I don't know if that amp can compare to the XXX at all. What settings are you using on your XXX? Have you tried running an overdrive into it?

Hell man ive tried everything, I even tried having all settings at noon and adjusting with my 10 band eq in the loop, but the characteristics I listed are always present. At the mo I have bass at 2 o clock, mids 9 o clock, and treble at 2 o clock. EQ in loop slightly drops/raises frequencys here and there, nothing drastic, just little tweaks.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Ive been browsing and ive also noticed the Randall RG50TC getting good reviews, how does it compare to the G3 series? I know its full tube rather than a hybrid, but atm I dont gig so I dont really care what sort of amp it is as long as it has a good tone and sounds good both at low volume and at high volume.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator