Hi all,

I need some help with recording some songs. I have a Warlock beast pro, and an LP, I use a laptop to record songs, but the sound doesnt have that crunch, it usually sounds quite tinny. Whats the best way to record on a LOW budget?

My FX pedal (Digitech grunge) has an Amp or Mixer output, which should I use? and should I go from guitar, to pedal to amp to laptop, or leave the amp out?
My laptop has just a basic sound card, is there any USB inputs I can buy?

Any softwear you can recomend for processing and recording?

Thanks!!
guitar > pedal > laptop

the line6 toneport

audacity/cubase/download guitar rig and try it

answered
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
I think you should try all of those things you just mentioned and let us know which works best.
is toneport a soundcard or interface?

i use my amp as a monitor when recording, thats about all its good for (so you can have real time playback, listening through the laptop as you record will most probably be laggy.)

cubase is awesome, i use a G7 into my computer by its USB thingo, its great because it has a cab simulator, which gives your tone that full crunchy awesome sound
*Enter Sig Here*
Amplitube has some nice guitar sounds too
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Hi Hale_91,
What set up do you use? Can u give me more info on cubase?? what is it? Whats G7? I have Fruityloops, I use it for putting songs together.

Thanks for that fairycake92!
Thats great, ive had a look at tone port, it lead me to this: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/index.html
Wouldn't you get a better sound with a mic instead of straight into the computer?
Quote by Tomo009
Wouldn't you get a better sound with a mic instead of straight into the computer?

Hi, yeh Id read that somewhere, is that just putting the mic infront of the Amp? what benefit is that? wont it be as clear? Thanks
I think you would get a much more "natural" sound, more the way it comes out of the amp. But you probably need a way to block background noise. I hear putting a sheet over the amp and mic work well. But never tried it
Guitar > Pedal > Line 6 TonePort > Recording Software
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Tomo009
Would you get the same quality as with a SHURE mic using that?

I dont really know if you can compare them, with a mic you're getting the sound of your actual amp, with that it's just an input to moddeling software. Also I'd probably get a Tone Port before that thing, as their a similar price and the Tone Port has far more features
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Thats great people, thanks! The Line 6 looks best so far, especially with its free amp softwear.

You have any idea what recording soft is best? Pro Tools 8 maybe? I have Fruity Loops Studio 5, but I cant record with it, only put the tract together with that with all the samples.
Cubase is pretty good, never used Pro Tools as I thought you had to have all the Pro Tunes hardware to go with it. Guitar Rig is ok, but it's very basic as far as recording goes or if you want something that is free (well, legally free) Reaper works

Quote by Tomo009
Would you get the same quality as with a SHURE mic using that?

What do you mean? As in the microphone simulator for the amp cab?

It's pretty good quality stuff there buddy. Listen to a few of my recordings, it's all through that stealthplug. It's reasonably priced at around £80. If you want to record voals though you have to use a microphone as it doesn't have an XLR cable.
NOPE.
Quote by fairycake92
guitar > pedal > laptop

answered

Never plug a pedal directly into a computer. I damaged my sound card once. And you won't get a good tone either.
i use cubase SX, and BATTERY so i can use DKFH (just a drum thing)

its not difficult to use once you know what to do, i still find it sorta over whelming and sorta still getting my head around it, its just so powerful.

G7 = zoom G7.1ut or what ever its called, its a zoom multi FX unit with a USB out, which you can plug into ya comp, sort of like a built in tone port.

i generally go from guitar > G7 > cubase, G7 have enough versatility to get what i want guitar wise, and then drums as i said through battery.

if you get a tone port, and cubase. you can put your guitar through your pedal then into toneport and use it directly if you wish, i think toneport has some pod stuff built in it to give you some basic tones. or you could go into ya pedal then amp, then amp out into tone port and run it direct like that, it would all sound different.

but, for a basic set up, getting toneport, plugging your guitar directly into that, will get you started. i think TP comes with some basic software for you to use. or acquire cubase SX and look for a guide on how to set it up. (adding other inputs etc can be tricky, sometimes its not)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Tomo009
I think you would get a much more "natural" sound, more the way it comes out of the amp. But you probably need a way to block background noise. I hear putting a sheet over the amp and mic work well. But never tried it

thast a good point. unless you mic your rig, you will be using a digital sound. thus, it will have a digital edge to it. probably not a hugely terrible thing. (specially if your starting out etc)

but i would think for PRO recordings, micing your amp is ideal.

on saying that, theres no point unless you have a 50000$ set up, thats worth recording through.
*Enter Sig Here*
Fruity Loops is extremely hard to record audio with, I would find another program.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
ive attempted fruity as well, FAIL.

end of that story. i used it to make cool beats, thats about it.
*Enter Sig Here*