Alright, so I played a little bit on my Blackmore today when the volume dropped somewhat, and now I get this sin wave whistle coming..it isn't very loud but it's there. I'm thinking one of my tubes is the culprit. Not a big surprise there since the tubes are about 4 years old.

I am a tube noob though, and I have no idea which tubes to get.

The amp uses:

V1(Input -Tube): ECC 83 / 12AX7, FQ selected;
V2, V3: ECC 83 / 12AX7 selected;
V4: ECC 83 / 12AX7, standard;
V5 - V8: 5881 (6L6GC) matched sets.

I'm looking for a gritty, tight distortion. Playing mostly metalcore en deathmetal.

Any tube experts around to give me some advice?
WTLTL 2011
I don't know what they were putting in there amps back then, but now dats they use a combination of rebranded sovtek and TAD tubs.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Mark G
Nice link! personal experience with that website/those sets? I see you have a screamer...what set did you go for are you happy?

i havent bought any tubes from there, but a attenuator for my old blackheart amp, they deliver wordwile but you have to pay some extra import tax if you have that in netherlands also

from www.tube-depot.com i got tubes deliverd from US to my door in 3 days and i didnt have to pay any extra tax, so you could find out which tubes they use in those eurotubes packages and order them from the depot instead
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

Darkice, it was an improvement for my musical style for sure. However, in retrospect I think blackouts might have been better. The EMGs sound amazing in it though.

Jaekae thanks, I'll try and figure out which they use. Good tip!
WTLTL 2011
Alright looks like they se JJ 6L6 powertubes and JJ preamp preamp tubes. It looks decent enough so I think I'll go with it. I'm not sure how he selects certain tubes for high gain though, their type is the same as the regulars.
WTLTL 2011
I'd try...

Tung-Sol 12AX7 V1-->JJ ECC83S V2--->JJ ECC83S V3--->JAN 12AT7 (balanced triodes) V4...for the preamp.

JJ 6L6GC Power Amp tubes for massive bottom end, a singing mid range, and a very airy open high end.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
I'd try...

Tung-Sol 12AX7 V1-->JJ ECC83S V2--->JJ ECC83S V3--->JAN 12AT7 (balanced triodes) V4...for the preamp.

JJ 6L6GC Power Amp tubes for massive bottom end, a singing mid range, and a very airy open high end.

JJ 6L6GC power tubes seem to be pretty much a given. How do those Tung-Sol and Jan tubes differ from the JJ tubes?
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
JJ 6L6GC power tubes seem to be pretty much a given. How do those Tung-Sol and Jan tubes differ from the JJ tubes?

The Tung-Sol will add a very nice bite...and make sure things don't get overly dark so you can maintain some grit.

The 12AT7's are better for PI imo because they have 6 times the transconductance of a 12AX7, which is what matters mostly for PI. The JAN are some mil spec tubes the are very reliable, and work amazingly in PI.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
is P1 the same as V4 then? And the blackmore can handle those tubes? Can you put a 12at7 in place of a 12ax7?

*edit*

You didn't specify the brand of Jan 12At7 will these do? http://store.tubedepot.com/nos-12at7wc.html

sorry for being such a noob....the jan 12at7 is balanced because it will be for the phase inverter right? thats why it goes to the v4 slot?
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Nov 29, 2008,