Page 1 of 2
Unfortunately, I never got into them past "Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash." It never grabbed me, honestly--it was pretty good, but nothing amazing. I've heard they got a LOT better than that album. Good place to start looking into them?

EDIT: I'm sure they could go in punk. I would have put it here. They're pretty popular with a lot of punk kids.
DOWN&OUT
Try listening to Let it Be or Tim.
Also, they were one of the first inde/alternative bands.
But yeah, they were punk as well.
Am I the only one who thinks "Tim" has the best material, but the songs are marred by the horrible 80's production?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
The Replacements make music that I enjoy listening to.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Their album output is good and listenable, but their live shows were better. It was a total crap shoot as to whether you were going to see the most brilliant band of the moment or a bunch of drunks barely holding it together and getting sick on the side of the stage.
Quote by anarkee
Their album output is good and listenable, but their live shows were better. It was a total crap shoot as to whether you were going to see the most brilliant band of the moment or a bunch of drunks barely holding it together and getting sick on the side of the stage.

I would have loved to see either.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by anarkee

Sounds like going to see Sucker Punched by Christ play.
I have Let it Be and their greatest hits thing
Tim is on my Christmas/to-buy list

Love this band.
Greatest band.

At least they're my favorite.

The lyrics just speak to me ya know?

My friends never let me play "Alex Chilton" on Rock Band though
I actually love the albums i have by this band. I only have tim and let it be, and I want to get their older ****....what I have though is great.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Right now, I am trying to learn Alex Chilton on guitar.

And the bassist for The Replacements is now playing for Guns n Roses.
Im not a Guns n Roses fan at all, but I still think that is pretty cool.
I have their first two albumss. Brilliant stuff! especially their debut. 'Johnny's Gonna Die' is an amazing song. Bob Stinson is a motha****ing genius on the geetar too
tommy stinson is my favourite bassist of all time. this is the greatest band of all time.

paul westerberg.....jesus. where do you even start? he's one hell of a songwriter, he's very good at writing guitar parts (Bob Stinson was incredible, but westerberg doesn't get enough credit), and he is the most attractive man i have ever seen. not to be shallow, I mean. I just find it astounding that he even exists.

I bought Sorry, Ma for seven bucks used back in the ninth grade, and it changed my life. Also, I have a live version of Bastards of Young that is a definite contender for best song I've ever heard.
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE
I love them, im glad you put this thread here! I just picked up the reissue of pleased to meet me the other day.
greatest, Replacements are amazing beyond comprehensible reason!

Let It Be changed my life in 8th grade
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
not sure if this belongs here or the inde/alt. forum

either way, I dont care, im not complaining if it stays here

havent heard much from them, but the few songs i have heard by them are amazing, their songs just get stuck in your head
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by HiImKindaNewAnd
I would have loved to see either.

My friend John was a huge Replacement fan. He loved to take the uninitiated to a show, esp. if the only song the person had heard was "Alex Chilton". We took one of our mutual friends to a drunk show where Westerberg and co literally tore through about 60 minutes of 1960s girl group songs and never played a single original tune. It was pretty damn funny.

I pulled out Hootenanny tonight and listened to it again. I forgot what a good album that was.
My College Rock-esque Uncle (who is way past college yrs) loves them. He gave me a Greatest hits type deal a while back when I was young and I liked it. I never really got into them but I plan to soon >:]

Quote by anarkee
My friend John was a huge Replacement fan. He loved to take the uninitiated to a show, esp. if the only song the person had heard was "Alex Chilton". We took one of our mutual friends to a drunk show where Westerberg and co literally tore through about 60 minutes of 1960s girl group songs and never played a single original tune. It was pretty damn funny.

I pulled out Hootenanny tonight and listened to it again. I forgot what a good album that was.

HA! I love their concerts

it's either:
sober: the most perfect setlist you could imagine, almost perfect to album
drunk: terrible covers of amazing songs, done in an amazingly wasted manner

and Hotenanny is AMAZING but my favorite will always be Let It Be
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by o-brien
Also, I have a live version of Bastards of Young that is a definite contender for best song I've ever heard.

I would definitely NOT be interested in having a link to it PM'ed to me for listening pleasure

<_<
>_>
I love the 'Mats. I made my dad teach me "Androgynous" on piano, even though I don't really play piano.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RHCP94
I love the 'Mats. I made my dad teach me "Androgynous" on piano, even though I don't really play piano.

I wish my dad could teach me to play Replacements songs...or songs in general.
I was going through the Bastards of Young vids on youtube trying to find that epic version that you guys are talking about^ and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8s11kejkoM
Against Me! being awesome

and The Replacements are great
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Greatest band, I've had Let It Be for a while plus some tidbits of other stuff but I got Hootenanny this weekend and now I can't stop listening.
Quote by Love_Buzz
I wish my dad could teach me to play Replacements songs...or songs in general.

He'd never heard of them before, but he said it was easy enough to play. He actually taught it to me on an organ, since we don't have a piano. It sounds cool.

To make this relevant, I'd rate the 'Mats albums I have in this order - Let It Be > Pleased To Meet Me > Hootenanny > Tim

I don't know why I can't get into Tim.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
I think that I saw the Cribs once. Something about them annoyed me but I'm not sure what it was.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Nov 30, 2008,
i don't know if it's new, but I have read All Over But the Shouting. It was amazing - all stories of people around minneapolis at that time who knew the band or toured with the band. And from Westerberg & co. themselves, of course. I really recommend checking it out.
WHAT WE WANT IS FREE
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I still haven't even read "Our Band could be Your Life"

Well worth a read. A friend of my dad's loaned me a copy and I kind of wish I owned one now cause I want to re-read after listening to the bands music.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I still haven't even read "Our Band could be Your Life"
I'm asking for it for Christmas.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 2