I've decided to screw getting EMGs for my EX-50 and instead get a new guitar with EMGs already on it.

I like Explorers, and so I've found an only lightly used EX-400 for roughly $550 (less than half the price of a new one). While it is an improvement over the EX-50, since it's got mahogany body, Grover tuners, an EMG 81/60 setup and some other minor improvements, it's still an LTD.

What I'm wondering is this: For a guitarist who has been playing for over two years, is this enough of an improvement not to limit my playing (which the EX-50 is now doing) or should I wait a while, double the price and get a real Gibson Explorer/PRS Custom? I'm on a rather tight budget, see.
I'd go for the EX400 which is, although Korean made, definately suited for professional use. The money you'd use to buy a Gibson or Prs could now be used to upgrade your amplifier.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The EX 400 is a good guitar imo. But EMGs only work well if you have an excellent guitar (GOOD won't suffice) and a high gain tube amp. Look at Ltds with Duncans from the 400 series if you want a new guitar and don't have the money to replace your Vox. Don't get me wrong, the Vox is a nice amp, but active pickups and solid state/hybrid amps don't work well together.
True, that. Allright, I think I'll go for the EX-400 then. The current owner says it plays wonderfully, one of the best he's had. I'm going to see for myself tomorrow. As long as the frets 17-22 actually make a clean tone (on the EX-50, the strings touch the fretboard where they shouldn't, despite ûber-high action) and I like the sound of the EMGs, I'll probably take it. I mean, for that price... it's an insane amount of guitar for the money.