I need some advice on doing continuous hammer-ons (I dunno the real 'term' for it), I mean in a section of a song when something like 10h12p10h12p10etc...... occurs i cant maintain the same volume for each of the hammer ons and pull offs it just seems to fade out.
thx in advance.
They're called Trills, a good one to start is the end solo of "One" by Metallica.
Its called a trill.

The volume is going to be slightly dimmed but it shouldnt fade out completely.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
When the volume is dimmed, the problem usually isn't the hammer-ons, but the pull-offs. When you pull off, you have to make sure that you pull off SIDEWAYS from the string instead of just lifting your finger up. The pull-off motion needs to "pluck" the string so it keeps vibrating. If you do this correctly, you could keep a trill going for a very long time.
Quote by Orbit91
They're called Trills, a good one to start is the end solo of "One" by Metallica.

Except that solo features no trills.

TS: Practice trilling with all different finger combinations; doing so is a great way to build strength in all fingers.
TS: Practice trilling with all different finger combinations; doing so is a great way to build strength in all fingers.

This + 32.56
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Two words: Tony Iommi.

Riff from Black Sabbath

E--------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------
G--------------------------------------------
D---------5---------------------------------
A----5---------4h5p4h5p4h5p4h5p4
E----3--------------------------------------

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by ZeGuitarist
When the volume is dimmed, the problem usually isn't the hammer-ons, but the pull-offs. When you pull off, you have to make sure that you pull off SIDEWAYS from the string instead of just lifting your finger up. The pull-off motion needs to "pluck" the string so it keeps vibrating. If you do this correctly, you could keep a trill going for a very long time.

No, this + 8,500.

What good is practicing different finger combinations if you arent doing it correctly in the first place?
Quote by Axe Murderer
No, this + 8,500.

What good is practicing different finger combinations if you arent doing it correctly in the first place?

Because he may very well be doing it correctly in the first place. Poor finger strength will just as often be the culprit as poor technique.
Quote by :-D

You're mistaken.
Because he may very well be doing it correctly in the first place. Poor finger strength will just as often be the culprit as poor technique.

Hammering and pulling requires little to no strength at all. Its pretty much all technique/accuracy.

I know when I started, my pull offs were horrible, because they really werent pulloffs. I was just hammering and then lifting. Bet you $100 this is his problem as well, regardless of which finger he's using.
Quote by Axe Murderer
Hammering and pulling requires little to no strength at all. Its pretty much all technique/accuracy.

I know when I started, my pull offs were horrible, because they really werent pulloffs. I was just hammering and then lifting. Bet you $100 this is his problem as well, regardless of which finger he's using.

Hammering on and pulling off do not require much strength and dexterity on their own, no; trilling, however, does. I'm not concerned with which finger he's using, you missed my point. What's important is that whatever finger he's using has the strength to maintain a trill.
Hammering on and pulling off do not require much strength and dexterity on their own, no; trilling, however, does. I'm not concerned with which finger he's using, you missed my point. What's important is that whatever finger he's using has the strength to maintain a trill.

Ah, ok, I see what ya gettin at.

Just as a little addendum to this:

Spend more time working on the 2+4 and 3+4 finger combinations; they are, more often than not, the weaker pairs, especially 3+4.

Quote by Orbit91
You're mistaken.

No, seriously, there are no trills in the outro solo of One.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Nov 28, 2008,
Where do you hear trills in "One"'s ending solo?

The little pick tapping lick, in which Kirk alternates the pick tap on the 19th/20th fret on the High E and the moves it down to the B.
Quote by Orbit91
The little pick tapping lick, in which Kirk alternates the pick tap on the 19th/20th fret on the High E and the moves it down to the B.

That's not a trill though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's not a trill though.

I thought alternating between two notes with legato was a Trill?
Quote by Orbit91
I thought alternating between two notes with legato was a Trill?

You have it tabbed incorrectly, anyway; there are three notes there and it looks like this.

e--------------t19p12h15p12t19p12h15p12

And so on. There are three notes, so it's just a regular arpeggiation of an E minor triad through tapping.
You have it tabbed incorrectly, anyway; there are three notes there and it looks like this.

e--------------t19p12h15p12t19p12h15p12

And so on. There are three notes, so it's just a regular arpeggiation of an E minor triad through tapping.

I never tabbed it.
Might be my memory though, the song was taught to me about a Year or so ago.
Quote by Orbit91
I never tabbed it.
Might be my memory though, the song was taught to me about a Year or so ago.

I meant the little notation you had in your last post. No worries.
I meant the little notation you had in your last post. No worries.

I'm confused