I have a Yamaha Pacifica I'd like to customize as the tuning and action is really frustrating me! I want to replace the bridge with a wilkinson tremolo of some sort, replace the nut with an Earvana (whichever model is best for a Yamaha) and some locking tuners. I'd also like to replace the pickups with some seymours. Does anyone know what bridge and Earvana nut would be best suited for a Yamaha Pacifica? This would really help me get going! Many thanks!
Quote by Jeroenofzo
IMO, just go with a better guitar.

The Pacifica, is known for it's great neck, good body and good join between the two.

Upgrading a Pacifica, is a good thing to do, if you accept, that you will be spending money on higher grade components, that you are unlikely to get back.

Jackieboy What country are you in and what sort of money was you expecting to spend on the Wilkinson Trem?

Also, go for a Graphtech Nut and they also do a String tree to match.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Nov 28, 2008,
Skeet,
I have a Pacifica myself, I like it, but upgrading it with an floating trem will not work or work correctly, The action is adjustable by the way. Maybe you need a Setup?

First off, the trem is around $150, the pickups ( All ) around 120 i guess, and then the routing and adjusting needs to be done to make the trem float. I think he is better of with a nice RG for around 350 then upgrading a guitar wich wasn't build to be upgraded.
Quote by Jeroenofzo
Skeet,
I have a Pacifica myself, I like it, but upgrading it with an floating trem will not work or work correctly, The action is adjustable by the way. Maybe you need a Setup?

First off, the trem is around $150, the pickups ( All ) around 120 i guess, and then the routing and adjusting needs to be done to make the trem float. I think he is better of with a nice RG for around 350 then upgrading a guitar wich wasn't build to be upgraded.

Why wont a floating Trem work? It has a floating Trem anyway?

What makes the Pacifica NOT built to be upgraded? It's a Strat copy, you couldn't really get MORE upgradeable! LOL

Not that I would recommend a floating Trem, I do things differently.

Yeah, he should probably adjust the action and see if he likes it.

Thing is about upgrading or customising, is that it can be done, when you have the funds, rather than all in one go.

Besides, a new Pacifica would be around $300 anyway would it not? They are about £180 over here.
Hey there! Which Graphtech set would you recommend me getting for my Yamaha? I am willing to spend quite a bit on my Pacifica it is a fantastic guitar and feels very comfortable for me to play! I just need high quality parts such as nut, bridge and tuner replacements. What would you guys recommend me getting? I'm from the UK by the way!
Last edited by Jackieboy at Dec 1, 2008,
Quote by Jackieboy
Hey there! Which Graphtech set would you recommend me getting for my Yamaha? I am willing to spend quite a bit on my Pacifica it is a fantastic guitar and feels very comfortable for me to play! I just need high quality parts such as nut, bridge and tuner replacements. What would you guys recommend me getting? I'm from the UK by the way!

Not too sure about what hardware you would need, but i recently saved my brother's pacifica from getting wrecked by the dogs at my mum's house and can confirm that with a decent setup these are really nice guitars.

If I were to upgrade it I would probably look into pickups first - what /type/model Pacifica is it (pics????), knowing that may help suggest hardware options
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
its a Pacifica 112JMX im not too concerned about the pickups yet its more the tuning and action i want to be perfect. The bridge is awkaward to play on as its not flat and the tuning keeps going.
Quote by Jackieboy

What part of the UK mate? I'm in Kent.

Erm, well, measure your current Nut. They are quite thin and slot into the fingerboard, then get the Graphtech for Strat syle guitars, that the measurements of which, should hopefully be stated and match yours.

Then get either the Long or Short String tee, matters not as they are cheap as chips, so get both if you are not sure.

Bridge wise, I say a Trem King. They are new and will decimate all others, once they are established, PM me for more info if you like. I also have a preferential arrangement with Trem King. That is not WHY I am suggesting you get one, I have the arrangement, because I WANTED one and I expect to be putting them in some of my guitars. It's also nice to not have to pay the going rate for things!

I have one here and it is very good quality. It also has Graphtech inserts in the saddles for the strings to break over (intonation point).

Tuners on my Pacifica are pretty good, but I will be replacing mine with Gotoh 510's (about £45 on Ebay, cheapest is Armstrong Guitars).

I am also in the process of removing the Pick Guard, filling the rout, veneering and installing new Pickups, in to new routs. I hate pick guards.

I will be using Irongear pickups, because they seem to be very good, are well priced and also made in England.

I will be getting a "Steam Hammer" Bridge humbucker and either two "Jail House Rails" or a rail in the neck and "Pig Iron" single in the middle.

I like to speak to someone who knows what they are on about regarding a product and even better, with Trem King and Irongear, I can speak to the guy who invented them/makes them!

I would also try some Elixir Coated strings if you have the opportunity and see how you get on with them.

If you want to change the electronics, I hear that CTS make the best ones, but I am unsure as to what makes them better, specifically. Neither do I know where I can get them in the UK. There is a guy who goes to the bother of selling matched sets of CTS POT's, whereby the resistance in each one, is as close as possible to the others in the set. Apparently this can affect response/Tone.

If you want to know anything, I will help where I can. PM me if you wish.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Dec 1, 2008,
Just to expand a bit on what skeet said about pots

I use CTS ones and actually go to the bother of buying two different sorts, dismantling them and making my own 'custom' pots. Ultimately they are just variable resistors - cheap pots are fine.
If you go with something like the CTS 450 series pots (I use these for Vol pots) which I would call mid range pots, the tolerances are much better so you much more likey to get a 250k pot which does actually rate at 250k.

I have bought matched CTS pots frm the US before - I'll never bother again. They didn't have the values stated and with CTS pots, if you are really that bothered, you can open them off and increase the resistance if they are under the stated value.

You can get them in the UK frm wdmusic
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald